Avoidable tragedy

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Avoidable tragedy

I've got a very narrow jon with an old '75 9.9 on it. Years before a kill switch was invented. Now ya'll got me worried! I've personally fallen outta this boat when the trollin motor gets suddenly WOT sideways! Bigger boat, or what? The outboard only has a stop button on the foreward face of it.

I'll let you Google it, but I'm sure there is retro mods for any motor. It probably just hooks between the ignition and the motor.

Fed

Commander

I've got a very narrow jon with an old '75 9.9 on it. Years before a kill switch was invented. Now ya'll got me worried! I've personally fallen outta this boat when the trollin motor gets suddenly WOT sideways! Bigger boat, or what? The outboard only has a stop button on the foreward face of it.

You don't have to worry your motor dies after 30 seconds... Safety feature.

I can move my 90HP from lock to lock with 1 finger at the motor cowl or the steering wheel yet it runs as straight as a die at any speed.

I couldn't imagine a boat that wants to go in circles by itself, they must be terrible to drive.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

On another note, A friend and I came up with a wireless version. This has the operator having a waterproof, floating key fob on him/her, and when the boat loses the signal (50' or so), the engine dies. However, as we began developing it, we found another person already securing the patent for it. It's called a 'man overboard' device. Runs about $200.

I HATE the lanyard.

Now I have a new toy to research over the winter. Thx. :)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

re: I couldn't imagine a boat that wants to go in circles by itself, they must be terrible to drive.

tiller steer does this. So would your boat if you hit something, enough to jar it off center. Mine drives itself in a straight line, too, and I wouldn't have it any other way. In open water I can move around the boat while it drives itself ; only at idle of course.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

My God is that sad. I think most boating accidents could have been avoided, but then again, hin site is 20/20. After reading this story I do think I'll install some sort of kill switch lanyard for my '85 bowrider. I'm sure I can just buy one & wire it up. We, my son, his buddies, & myself are new this year to the boating/tubing thing & although we had no real problems with safety, anything can happen at any time without warning, that's why they call them accidents. Just wanted to comment, very sad to hear of such things.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I'll let you Google it, but I'm sure there is retro mods for any motor. It probably just hooks between the ignition and the motor.

It is a simple two wire hook-up. Most people don't even have to run any new wires. If you have an extra 3-4 inches, it can work. Snip the ignition wire that leads to the coil and terminal each end of it. Hook them to the back of the kill switch. When the plunger is pulled out and the clip is in place, it closes the contact and all is normal. Whe the clip is removed for whatever reason, it opens the connection and the motor dies.

D

DJ

That is PRECISELY WHY you NEVER try to rejuvinate a stuck steering cable. If it's stuck, it is because of corrosion. That corrosion has done damage.

I've had one "let go" on me and I NEVER want to relive that experience. It was violent!

The other part is a the safety "Kill switch" lanyard and lack of use.

I agree, completely avoidable. Still tragic.

user64

Seaman

The wireless kill switch is called "Autotether". If you fall overboard wearing the sensor it wirelessly kills your ignition when the water stops the signal. Not sure if it works if you just lose your footing at the helm and get thrown inside the boat although I thought I read something that said you can also set it for distance.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

...On another note, A friend and I came up with a wireless version. This has the operator having a waterproof, floating key fob on him/her, and when the boat loses the signal (50' or so), the engine dies....

Absolutely brilliant, Fireman. I'm going to look into that.

I'm ashamedly only a recent convert to wearing a pfd and that funny coiled red lanyard has until now just been a curiosity hanging from my ignition switch. (Actually, I would use it to work the fogging oil into my rings come winterizing time. Introduce oil to cylinders, pull lanyard, crank engine...)

The pfd habits changed as fast as you can say "Daddy - why do you and Mommy make me wear a life jacket and you don't?" Good question, kid - consider it a family rule now.

The lanyard I was trying to live with (literally) last weekend (out solo) but was really not enjoying the short leash or the fact it kept getting caught up in the wheel and throttle. (There's a headline....Boater killed by kill switch...!)

The wireless thingy has real possibilities though.