Average Annual Boat Value Depreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looked around and couldnt find this information, so Im starting a thread.
Im wanting a graph / chart that shows average boat value depreciation. Assuming the boat is taken very good care of, and has average hours on the engine. My main focus is on wakeboard boats (Tige, Mastercraft, Centurion...) and Bowriders (Maxum, Four Winns, Glastron...).
I know wakeboard and ski boats keep their value better than typical bowriders and runabouts, and also that boats loose their greatest value percentage when they go from 'new' to 'used', and will begin to level off after a few years. What do you all think percentage wise?

Here is my "example graph", obviously not accurate, but these numbers are what Im asking for:

Wakeboard Boats:
New: 100%
1 year: 85%
2 year: 80%
3 year: 75%
4 year: 71%
5 year: 68%
6 year: 66%
....ect ect ect.

Bowriders:
New: 100%
1 year: 85%
2 year: 75%
3 year: 70%
4 year: 65%
5 year: 61%
6 year: 58%
...ect ect ect.

What are all your estimates? (wanting about 10 years worth)
If everyone gives their input Ill make an "average chart" after we get enough posts.

thanks all!
-CUBE-

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Average Annual Boat Value Depreciation

Didnt think about using Nada to get these calculations...guess that would do it, but it would take some work.
Ok here what Im going to do...but not tonight.

Find nada average prices for 5 different wakeboard boats over the past 10 years. Calculate depreciation, then average all 5 depreciation rates over those 10 years and post results.
Ill do the same for BowRiders....give me a day or so and Ill have some results.

Cant beleive I didnt think to do this before. :redface:

-CUBE-

aqua_spud

Cadet

Here's my two cents...it might not be apples and apples.

I just bought a one owner 1995 Starcraft Islander cuddy-22'--it's a rare outboard-equipped boat that I looked long and hard for.
These boats (94, 95, 96 models etc) are bringing around $16K-$17K if they are clean. This is exactly what they sold for new: A 1996 22' Islander listed for $17,600. A friend just sold his 95 outboard model for $17K. That is 100% resale value....
I was fortunate and got mine for exactly half that; had to drive 2000 miles round trip for it though...

The book doesn't always indicate the market value--in fact, seldom does it....
It is simply what the bank will look at for a loan.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

It also depends greatly on brand and condition. And I would not assume that ski boats take less of a hit. In the past that may have been true but I would bet that they will be bleeding far worse now as you look at the demographics of a ski boat buyer. Typically they are financed and tend to draw a younger buyer, both of these facts lead me to believe that these type of boats will drop faster as this group of buyers is rapidly evaporating. I have also noticed a huge increase in the number of ski boats for sale on craigslist right now. They are a real specialty boat if you think about it and I have noticed some pretty amazing deals on ski boats in particular.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

from my experience you loose . sales price 30,000 value after depreciation.
20 % rolling of the show room. 6,000 24,000
10% year 2 2,400 21,600
10% year 3 2,160 19,440

this is the real world. a major reason not to buy new.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've never bought a new boat just because of their depreciation, too many good used ones out there if you look.

JB

One of the reasons I love 20-40 year old Boston Whalers is that they don't depreciate any more. I have sold several for more than I paid for them (not counting bux spent making them right).

I think this is true of all of the high end boats.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

These boats (94, 95, 96 models etc) are bringing around $16K-$17K if they are clean. This is exactly what they sold for new: A 1996 22' Islander listed for $17,600. A friend just sold his 95 outboard model for $17K. That is 100% resale value....

This is not true. 14yrs ago, 17k went alot farther then. It has depreciated.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your point about the ski boats used to be true because the initial price point and where they leveled off at was not that far apart. You basically had a standard v8 block that could be easily replaced, with no outdrive needing to be rebuilt. Awesome simplicity and performance. The old rule of thumb seemed to be any direct drive ski boat in good running order would always be worth $10K (note, I have seen them in the sevens on our local craigslist with this economy).

Now, however, these boats start upwards of $40K to $60K. I don't have a sense of where they level off and reach a floor. However, based on local adds I can see that the two year fall is substantial.

I will be very curious to see what your nadavalues research shows.

aqua_spud

Cadet

This is not true. 14yrs ago, 17k went alot farther then. It has depreciated.

The value of the dollar is another subject altogether, indeed it has depreciated.
I'm simply stating that a boat bought for $17,000 will return $17,000 14-15 years later if it is clean. That's pretty outsanding resale in any market.
The 2009 Starcraft Islander brkt model is $46,000 list.....
Quite a jump from the $17,600 list for virtually the exact same vessel in '96.
Dollar depreciation or market adjustment?
Maybe alot of both.

tashasdaddy

Just an example, my parents build a home, lived in it 15 years, sold it for 3 times what they paid for it. when i calculated the the value of the $$$ the broke even.

entidine

Cadet

This guy cube21 made a big deal about calculating out depreciation and then never came back to share the results? WTF?

JB

The thread is dead. Why not leave it that way?? We have a policy that old threads get left in the archives, not resurrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.