Autopilot issue

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1999 Carver has an original autopilot system. It is a a Raytheon Type 100/300 with a ST6000 Plus helm control. The issue is that after engaging it, it goes berserk after about one minute. It will start zig-zagging and making hard corrections to try and stay on course. I have tried playing with the rudder gain and other options, but nothing seems to improve the way it works. Any advice or suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Autopilot issue

My 1999 Carver has an original autopilot system. It is a a Raytheon Type 100/300 with a ST6000 Plus helm control. The issue is that after engaging it, it goes berserk after about one minute. It will start zig-zagging and making hard corrections to try and stay on course. I have tried playing with the rudder gain and other options, but nothing seems to improve the way it works. Any advice or suggestions?

Ayuh,....At what forward speeds,..??

I have a Sport Pilot+, 'n below 4 or 5 mph, it's Useless,...

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually it is at any speed. I have tried it at idle, and all the way up to 24 mph. Same problem...

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am beginning to think this has something to due with the heading, which is off by about 30 degrees on both the autopilot and the radar. I manually adjust it but it reverts back to the wrong setting. The Radar is a Raytheon R41. Anyone know how to adjust the heading on these units? For example, if the compass and GPS say I am heading 330 degrees, the radar and autopilot show 297.

Last edited: