AUTOMOTIVE ANTIFREEZE????

ChalkBoy

Seaman Apprentice
Well here's a good one.<br /><br />This is the first time I had to winterize a boat, I used Prestone antifreeze (50/50 mix).<br /><br /><br />I have OB, Force 85<br />Is this ok? please let me know ASAP.... :confused:

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: AUTOMOTIVE ANTIFREEZE????

I don't think you run any risk engine-wise. The marine anti freeze is designed to be a lot less toxic to critters than automotive types, but the outboard shouldn't know the difference.

kenthrussell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi well i have never used antifreeze in an outboard as when the motor is vertical all the water will drain not a bad idea though

You should use the RV type anti-freeze, Much cheaper and no mixing. Plus around here it's illegal to use automotive anti-freeze. Unless you don't let any hit the ground or into water and reclaim it. I've used RV type anti-freeze in my boats for 12 years now works like a charm. ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

ROFLMAO, Clakboy.That's the best signature I've seen on here in a long time, and there are some really good ones :) :p

ChalkBoy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone....<br /><br />I learned that it was not necessary to run antifreeze through the engine after all. <br /><br />Can't hurt though....<br /><br />I use the biodegradable stuff :)