Automatic Bilge Wiring

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All...

I have just noticed that from my Automatic Bilge there is only one cable comming out to be hooked up to the battery. I just got this boat not too long ago and I just noticed it. The color is Brown... My question is does this hook up to the Negative side of the battery or Positive?

Thnaks
Zipp

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Automatic Bilge Wiring

on my bilge, black is negative, brown will either be auto or constant on and then white will be the other.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

I dont see Black, red or white comming out. Soo I just leave it unplugged?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Not familiar with your setup, boat or bilge pump, I see no way for this to work with only one wire. That is unless the pump has a ground terminal built into the pump so if you bolt it to a metal hull that is grounded at the battery you would only need one other wire to complete the circuit. That would be like most vehicles are setup. Otherwise it could never run with one wire. But I'm not totally familiar with every bilge pump design either...

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

after a close look I have noticed that also there are some other wires that go some other place, maybe console (that is where the fuse box is located) it goes under the floor so I cant really say that it goes there. How does the automatic bilge work? How much water does need to be in the boat for it to kick in? Maybe I can flood it..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are all kinds of pumps, float switches, computer pump, and just as many ways of wiring them.

So there is absolutely no way of knowing what you have or how it's wired.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

after a close look I have noticed that also there are some other wires that go some other place, maybe console (that is where the fuse box is located) it goes under the floor so I cant really say that it goes there. How does the automatic bilge work? How much water does need to be in the boat for it to kick in? Maybe I can flood it..

3ike they say some pics would help .. u definatley have to have a power and ground for the pump to work aka two wires ???if u cant trace the wires or figure it out sometimes its easier jsut to run new wires esp with bilge if u need it ur gnna wanna make sure it works ,or ull be at bottom of river not the top ... if u fill the backAREA UP OR JUST RUN WATER BACK IN THE ARE WITH PLUG IN IT SHOULD KICK ON fairly quick unless its on a switch u have to turn it on at the helm ?????

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

check all ur fuses make wure the work if there bad replace em id replace em if its been sitting again some pics ????

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

here is a picture. I have dug up some stuff and I have figured out the wiring.. If you look at the picture the cable that is labeld 2.1 connects to the manual Blige pump 2.2. That is the same cable that I thought was going to console. Cable labeld 1. is the able that needs to be hooked up to the battery. On the console I have a Blige switch if I want to use the manual pump I guess. photo1.jpg

Don S

May be like this.

man auto.jpg

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

could be.... I guess I can experiment a litle and fill it up with water untill the automatic blidge pump kicks in. only way to tell..

Don S

Just lift the float switch up and see if the pump comes on. No need to fill the boat with water.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Don S

Thanks that did it. it is on the positive end of the battwery.
Zipp

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice diagram, Don..... saved for future reference. :)