Automatic bilge pump

Davidlq

Cadet
I have a 2004 Monterey 245CR. A while back I had the Y-pipe on the exhaust crack and started taking on water. The automatic function of the bilge pump did not engage. I am looking to remedy this over the off season. The question is with one of the newer automatic bilge pumps is there any reason to retain the factory float switch?

the current setup has the pump wired to the dash for manual use and through the float switch directly to the battery.

I think the OEM installed pump is an automatic but if it is why would a float switch be needed?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the float switch is what makes it automatic. the float switch goes up when water is in the bilge and then the pump comes on...... the water level drops and the float switch drops, shutting the pump off.

some of the "sensing" bilge pumps cant get the last bit of water out of the bilge so they stay running, and kill the battery.

why not simply find out why your bilge pump didnt turn on. usually the culprit is the dash switch in the wrong location or debris around the float switch.

Davidlq

Cadet
I have a Rule automatic pump in my dinghy that does not require a an external float switch. Lookng at the Atwood Sierra pump I want to install, it does not require an external float switch.See attached manual, in the wiring diagrams no exteranal float switch.

The dash switch only has 2 positions on and off, The old float switch is, well old. Finally i broke the basket for the bilge pump working on the engine earlier this year and can't get a replacement.

The biggest reason to take the float witch out of the circuit is it is almost impossible to get at and if the new pump doesn't need it why have another thing that can break?

Attachments

• 69370-saharapumps-rc-021116.pdf
    816.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Davidlq

Cadet
BTW the OEM wiring diagram is really hard to decipher. I read schematics for a living and can't find the bilge pumps in this thing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wont click on any PDF's for security reasons. however if you had it linked to the attwood site, then maybe I would.

many OEMs have a switch that in one position is automatic (being feed by the batteries direct) and the other the manual side.

most available schematics are only the engine related stuff. most OEM's do not publish schematics.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like with on/off only you should be setup this way
The alarm is not there in your case, but not it has 2 fusesBilge pump auto.jpg

Davidlq

Cadet
I also believe that is how it is set up. With todays automatic bilge pumps the float switch is built into the pump. So is there a reason to not eliminate the external one?