Auto Stereo In Boat

bigD1031

Seaman Apprentice
What does everyone think of using an auto cd player and speakers in a boat? If I use a cover for the stereo and mount the speakers in a relatively dry place would it work or should I just stick strictly to the marine type stereos and speakers?

drewpster

Commander
Re: Auto Stereo In Boat

Allot depends on where everything is mounted. I have had an car stereo in the cabin of my old tug for a few years now and I have had no problems. I used marine speakers however because speakers seem to be more likely to fail sooner in a marine environment and there are speakers mounted outside.
I do not recommend using a car stereo in a trailer boat. Ever been caught out on the lake during an unexpected shower? An enclosure will help the radio last a little longer but I would go with marine speakers.
Cost is a consideration as well. If I am going to drop major coin on a high end stereo for my boat, its going to be marine. I would hate to spend all those duckys just to have it fail prematurely due to moisture.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

One of my previous boats (now owned by my daughter and son-in-law) is 13 years old and the automotive Kraco stereo is playing tunes like it did when new and it is not protected. Nor are the speakers marine type. You obviously don't want to spray a garden hose on it but if its reasonably protected and the speakers aren't constantly wet, auto stereos work just fine.

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is my thinking on this. I bought a auto radio from crutchfield with removable face for $80. It has an Ipod/mp3 player hook up. Why even bring cd's on a boat, i wouldnt. The radio is mounted with a radio cover and I just hook up the mp3 and go. No skipping. This year I am adding an audio amp and some upgraded speakers, all auto, no marine. We shall see how it goes.