Australian Bushfires

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is a bad time of year for bushfires in Australia - not helped by the long drought they've been enduring.<br /><br />I hope that all Australian iboaters are out enjoying the good boating weather (like we are starting to do in NZ) and are not being affected badly by these fires.<br /><br />
ACFURAK6aiD1.jpg
<br /><br /> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10006391

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Australian Bushfires

Kinda reminds me of my past days in Southern Califorinia. Not a lot of fun, those fires!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Wow! That's some high flames! Our local dry season is late March to early June.<br />Did Austrailia have a very dry year last year too?<br />We allomost lost "12Footer central" in the season of 1997. It came within 3 feet of the back porch...Set-off by a Mexican family celebrating "Cinco De Mayo": next door, with bottle rockets. (sigh). I'm glad all 32 of them moved-out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"Okay, who wants their steak well-done?"

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hope that Dunaruna (aldo) is not caught up in the conflagration. He hasn't posted since December 23rd.

aspeck

Staff member

You ain't putting that out with an Indian Tank! That is some serious heat - hope they can get it under control soon, without loss of property or life!

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,day, So far 9 People have died and others are seriously injured, a number of children have died also which is very sad, tens of thousands of sheep were badly burnt and are being destroyed. The smoke from the fires drifted over my area and I am about 200Km away. we have had some rain since and this has helped. <br />12 footer, It is always dry in this part of Australia

Dunaruna

Admiral

Where are you whaley?<br /><br />Boomyal, the fires are nowhere near where I live (this time, a few years ago they came very close). I've been cruisin' and a fishin' for a few weeks. No TV, no radio, no papers (and I left the mobile at home)- didn't hear about the tsunami until the 7th of jan. <br /><br />Aldo

aspeck

Staff member

whaley, those fires can be dangerous - if the wind is blowing your way, please be careful and safe. Don't wait it out and become a casualty. Play it safe, mate! Plan your evacuation now, and know what you are going to take with you. If it is dry, and there is a stiff wind, a fire like that can travel 200 kM in short oreder. Keep a clear head, and keep your ears and eyes open - AND LISTEN TO YOUR EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT TEAM! If they tell you to get out, then GET OUT!<br /><br />Thanks for listening, and be safe!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Man! That picture is absolutely frightening! Here in Mich. we don't even worry about wildfire, but that looks like the problems they have in Ca. For you down under folks I gotta agree with aspeck, use your noggins and not your feelings (don't be thinking about possesions at a time like that) if it gets even close.