attaching Motor to Transom

dzurinko

Seaman
Looking for some input for re-attaching my trim unit to the transom. The tinny I bought needs to have the transom replaced. Attached to the transom was a hydralic trim unit. The motor was secured to that. I removed both trim unit and motor today. After re-flooring, painting, etc, I will be re-attaching both in the future. The trim unit was secured through the transom with 4 bolts. I'll do the same. But the existing holes are basically the same size as the bolts. It looks like the PO used some type of putty on the threads and large washers before tightening down. Is this an acceptable practice when I eventually re-secure the trim unit? I think Ive heard some others say to drill a larger hole, fill it with something (don't know what) then redrill back to the size of the bolts. Which practice is recommended? What product do I use to make sure these holes dont allow for water to infiltrate the wooden transom?

Last edited:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: attaching Motor to Transom

it was likely marine sealant, 3m 4200 or 5200, wallyworld sells a different brand, cant remember the name but it works too, the bolt holes should be just big enough for the bolts, i do the threads, and behind the washers liberally

64osby

Admiral

Some will drill the holes oversized, fill with epoxy resin. Drill out to proper size and install the bolts using 5200 or 4200.

I just did a little tinny like CB said above. I coat the bolt and fill the hole a little. Spin the bolt in and put your finger over the back side of the hole and it will keep it in the hole a little more. Messy but effective.

Decker83

Commander

I drilled the holes out to the size of the bolt.. I don't want any type of slack in the bolt holes..
I used a pipe cleaner and diped it into the poly resin and coated the holes several times to seal the wood.
I will then use the 3m 4200 and seal everywhere I can on the bolts behind the washer and on the bracket of the motor..

You need the large washers to help prevent the nuts from pulling thru the transom..

dzurinko

Seaman

Ok, thanks guys. Then I'll use a liberal coat of that marine sealent and put it back exactly the way it was. I have the large washers too to make sure it doesnt pull through. Great idea coating the inside of the wood with poly resin using a pipe cleaner. I' make sure I do that as well. As for the rest of the little screw holes where the PO must have had things attached' do you recommend filling them with JBweld or put small screws back in the same spot as he did?

My last question is how to get those aluminum things out that go from the splash well through the transom top. They are one piece with a flange that looks like they were compressed on at the factory. Can I just bend the flange toward the center and pull it through the hole. I have seen replacements for sale that are two piece and just screw together. Do I use marine sealent on those too?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

They are called drain tubes. Use a chisel to bend the edge down all around the tube and then tap it thru the transom. You can buy them right here on iBoats. You can use the two piece type or you can make your own compression tool...

dzurinko

Seaman

Okay. Sounds easy enough to get off. Ill just get the replacements here on iboats. Tks Woodonglass.