Attaching inside covering back on hull

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In the bow of my bowrider, the covering (upholstery) has pulled away from the inside of the hull on one side .What would be the best way to re attach this ? It looks like the fabric was stapled then stuck to the hull but I don't know with what

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Attaching inside covering back on hull

It looks like the fabric was stapled then stuck to the hull but I don't know with what

Ayuh,... Probably with a spray contact cement, such as 3M 90, or Super 77....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Stapled to wood and then attached to hull? If this is the case, they often use christmas tree clips(because of the way they look, not because they are used for christmas trees). This is what they look like:
clip.jpg

A picture would be a good start to get help.

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It does look like small broken pieces of wood

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It does look like small broken pieces of wood

Then it may be rotted away and the wood will have to be replaced too.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

On a lot of bowrider cushions, there are 3-4 main ways to secure the seat backs to the hull. Christmas tree fasteners as mentioned are one way, but you won't come across them very often. The other 3 main ways are:

1) Screwed or bolted in from behind, if you can get access to the back side of the cushion thru the seat bottom opening
2) Screwed in through the front of the cushion, most often at a seam; in between the raised portions of the foam
3) Aluminum or SS clips on which the backs rest. Lifting up briskly on the cushions will determine if this is how they are mounted.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats ,... and rotten wood on your boat , you will find more I suspect..... I did. :facepalm:

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tried to edit with a pic. Can you see it ?

Attachments

• Inside of bowl.jpeg
    Inside of bowl.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tried to insert a pic but it tells me my file is too large, then tells me to drag and drop it into the window below the window I uploaded my picture into. When I try to do that nothing happens. Whats up ?

DISREGARD THIS POST. I got the picture inserted

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like the wood in the seat cushion has rotted out that is why you have rusty staples showing. They rusted away so now there is nothing holding the fabric on.

You will need to dismantle the seat cushion and replace the plywood that is in there.