ATF in 275 Outdrive

sailingseven

Seaman
I was helping a friend change his drive oil and found it filled with Automatic Transmission Fluid.:confused: I know it should have motor oil like the engine. Any thoughts on could this damage the outdrive? It is a 275 as I said it the title.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: ATF in 275 Outdrive

Probably not ATF, there is one brand of gear lube that is red, but it's not ATF, and it's not engine oil either. Change the oil, put in the proper oil and see how it works.

sailingseven

Seaman

Thanks. I will tell him that. He was quite upset that with the prospect of damage.

sailingseven

Seaman

Called and talked to my friend. He spoke to the mechanic who worked on his drive last year and said he did fill it with ATF and that he does that to smooth out the shifting. Never heard of that. What are your thoughts? We were changing it because the drive just didn't sound right. Like a bearing in the lower unit was going.

sailingseven

Seaman

Agreed. I have never used them. I helped tear down the lower unit last night, and the needle bearings seem ok, but the bearings in the double bearing housing are toast. Any chance that the upper gearbox would need work? Thanks for your help.