At Wits end with this one...think it's shop time...For the 70' 115

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
OK...Last week I took the boat out... Finally got it to run WOT until it just died. Thought it was a sheard key but find out it is a rotor issue. (tab on rotor was broke so it wasn't keeping time) <br />Another thing I had a prob with is cavition or ventilation (not sure which one)with the prop unless the motor was at closest to boat setting.<br /><br />Took the boat out tonight after fixing the rotor issue and Plugging 8 holes on the cav plate from tabs or whatever else they could have been there from.<br /><br />Idles great. but Absolutly no power at all. For the life of me I could not get the thing to open up. Just kept bogging down and no mater what changes I made (lync and sync, throttle adjustment, idle adjustment, trim adj)Checked spark... good on all 4, gapped plugs and regapped, pumped primer bulb no change, Choked engine/engine dies <br />Got the holes filled in and with that I could move the pin farthest from the boat or closest with no problems as before. So I believe the reason I had vent/cav prob was from the holes and not the prop. Moving the trim had no effect on the motor in any way.<br /><br />A 115 on a boat that weights less than 1400 (manufacturer says 900 in 72) if you add the 500 lbs for the kids, wife, cooler and I your lookin at around 1900lbs... this boat should move along pretty fast... something is wrong.. and I don't know what it is. I really do not know what else I can do to this to get it running right. I don't understand why the only thing you change is the rotor and everything is messed up again. I believe I probably have an adjustment outta wack, but i've gone over and over the manual and checked and double checked. I'm at my wit's end and the only thing I can think of is to take it in. Wife told me to take it to the shop... and Thats the plans if theres not a fix out there quick(have to jump on offers from wife like that). I just don't like takin them in cause I feel they nit-pick at what is wrong... as in finding issues that have nothing to do with the reason it's there.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: At Wits end with this one...think it's shop time...For the 70' 115

Dave....before you take it out next time, have the missus operate the throttle while you look at the linkage from under the flywheel to carb. Make sure it's all moving and that all carb throttle plates are opening at the same time and equally.<br /><br />Did you check your spark after the work on the rotor? Your spark should jump a 7/16" gap easily.<br /><br />If all that is good, take a spray bottle of premix out with you the carb covers off. Again have the missus slowly take it to WOT while your watching the linkage and all. If it don't come up, squeeze some premix into the throats of the carbs from the spray bottle. If it picks up, you most likely got a fuel flow problem.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I did have her at the controls (scary really she's never driven a boat...just waitin for it to take off and throw me over...who know's how she would get back to me) Luckily....in a way it never did go the way I wanted to. Everything seems to be opening right.. My only concern is the throttle cable adjustment...Linkage, timming base and cam... something does not seem right here. Let me explain:<br />Throttle cable is screwed all the way towrds back of motor... idles fine but won't advance timming enough to stop...If I move this towards the middle and adjust everything (throttle cam) Then I can't get it to idle low enough and WOT still does not change.<br /><br />Maybe this is better explained in my head but from the looks of it something seems off.... I have that feeling that the timming is off from the begining...in idle. On my controls, my idle is my start position... and my start position is above that which in the controls end should be about 1/2 throttle. In otherwords I start my engine at the very edge of the start saftey switch.... if I move the control 1/8" foward I've gone past starting point. I'm begining to think EVERYTHING is too far forward<br /><br />If this is confusing sorry... I think I just confused myself.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You said you did the lync and sync. Did you ever check the timming? Your last post makes it sound like the timming is off. If all electronics are functioning correctly, timming may be the issue.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a manual to guide you through the sync and link Dave? If so, OEM or generic?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

It is a generic manual.... But I have also followed the instructions on the posts here... <br />The throttle plates and the timming base move exactly at the same time. <br /><br />and the throttle plates are opening up all the way when in WOT<br /><br />I have not changed any of the timming adjustments from when I got the motor (history unknown) But I have had to change the flywheel key. I'm a bit scared to mess with the timming cause there is timming mark on the block . The flywheel is stamped 1969 and has A and B stamped on it twice in different spots. One A B is pretty close together (maybe 1") and the other set is farther apart I have found TDC and niether of the marks align with anything. If someone could tell me where the flywheel should line up on TDC..as well as the markings on the cam. That would be great. I have the ability to set the timming but like I said without any markings (degrees) I'm kinda at a lost here.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dave, I am fairly certain that one of the Letters should be TDC for Cylinder one and the other for Cylinder two. If none of the marks line up at TDC for Cylinder one, your timming may be off. <br /><br />I just bought a boat last week with this same year motor and HP. I have both the Seloc and Clymer manuals. I am currently seeking a factory manual. I would advise you do the same. If I get a chance tonight I will take a look at my engine and see if I can help. I will also cruise through my manuals and see what I can find.<br /><br />I am new to the V4's. My last engine was an inline 3 65hp. I only had one TDC mark on the flywheel for cylinder one. The other marks were timming degree marks. <br /><br />good luck

BF

Lieutenant

Hi,<br /><br />You checked the compression? Bogging/lack of power with load is how motors down a cylinder or two act. They can often idle surprisingly well. If timimg was way off (your rotor problem) it's possible something bad happened (for example overheated and burnt a piston or rings). Did all the plugs look the same? None that were wetter or a different colour? The holes in the anti-cav plate are likely from the previous installation of a fin/whale tail thing.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Dave!<br /><br />If you want to try and set your WOT timeing I will do the math for placeing the white mark on the fly wheel.<br /><br />First you will need to find TDC on number 1 pistion. Mark with white out on fly wheel inline with timeing post.<br /><br />Give me the dia. of your fly wheel. And also what does your manual say WOT timeing is suposed to be set at. On a 73 its 26* BTDC but yours may differ.<br /><br />Figureing how to place the mark, Is the same as figureing bolt hole circles.<br /><br />I spent 45 years in a tool & die shop. Needless to say Ive do it a few thousand times.<br /><br />Its up to you if you wana try or not.<br /><br />Good luck!

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dave...Had similar problem with mine. I was doing a linc and sync, and just couldnt get everything right. If I adjusted for top end couldnt get low end close and vise versa. The trunion on your throttle cable should not be turned all the way out. My problem was a combination of stiff cables and a groove worn in the nylon cam inside the control box.<br /><br />Try this:<br />When you move the control all the way forward, does it go beyond the top fwd corner of the box?<br /><br />You got to get it set up so the throttles open all the way and the timer base hits the stop.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

TR Please look and see... It would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />Plugs all looked the same. Not buring lean or any wetter then the others.<br /><br />Compression checks out as follows<br />#1-110, #2 110, #3 105, #4 107<br /><br /><br />The timming post.... thats funny... THIS THING DON"T HAVE ONE!!!.... Believe me I've looked everywhere for the damn thing, about 100 times.. gave up and contacted a dealer today... They had a 72 sitting around out back and gave me the intake for it... it had a Timming post. Mine doesn't... Nor does it look like it ever had one. These two intakes are Identical... except one has a timming post. Error on OMC's part... who knows <br />The funny thing is when I use the #1 cylinder and find TDC... niether of the marks align to the pointer or are even close. It Almost looked if I spun it 180 it might so I did. Only to find the same problem. No marks were close or even close. I didn't try to align the marks with #2 cylinder but might do that tommorrow for ****s and giggles. I think I am also going to play with the cable a bit tommorrow.... see what I can come up with. I am Also going to buy a big *** trash can... might even have to go to TSC for a horse tank. <br /><br />When I Called the shop they would work on it but were very shady on it... Told me to rebuild the carbs... and give them a call. My worries of them nit picking on things wrong went away when they didn't even sound like they wanted it at all. This is the same shop however that I called for intake gasket when reeds came (before rotor issue found) and they said they had one... drove 25 minutes there for them to tell me they had a spot for them but were out. I finally found one another 25 minutes away and called them today for service. They said they can't get parts for it...lol but we have an intake gasket for it?? lol they recomend each other.. which is even funnier... Stuck between a rock and a hard place on shops.<br /><br />Goodoleboy- I'll take you up on that offer... I'll get the demensions posted tommorrow and any other progress or steps backs I take<br /><br />Sorry this was long.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

TR Please look and see... It would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />Plugs all looked the same. Not buring lean or any wetter then the others.<br /><br />Compression checks out as follows<br />#1-110, #2 110, #3 105, #4 107<br /><br /><br />The timming post.... thats funny... THIS THING DON"T HAVE ONE!!!.... Believe me I've looked everywhere for the damn thing, about 100 times.. gave up and contacted a dealer today... They had a 72 sitting around out back and gave me the intake for it... it had a Timming post. Mine doesn't... Nor does it look like it ever had one. These two intakes are Identical... except one has a timming post. Error on OMC's part... who knows <br />The funny thing is when I use the #1 cylinder and find TDC... niether of the marks align to the pointer or are even close. It Almost looked if I spun it 180 it might so I did. Only to find the same problem. No marks were close or even close. I didn't try to align the marks with #2 cylinder but might do that tommorrow for ****s and giggles. I think I am also going to play with the cable a bit tommorrow.... see what I can come up with. I am Also going to buy a big *** trash can... might even have to go to TSC for a horse tank. <br /><br />When I Called the shop they would work on it but were very shady on it... Told me to rebuild the carbs... and give them a call. My worries of them nit picking on things wrong went away when they didn't even sound like they wanted it at all. This is the same shop however that I called for intake gasket when reeds came (before rotor issue found) and they said they had one... drove 25 minutes there for them to tell me they had a spot for them but were out. I finally found one another 25 minutes away and called them today for service. They said they can't get parts for it...lol but we have an intake gasket for it?? lol they recomend each other.. which is even funnier... Stuck between a rock and a hard place on shops.<br /><br />Goodoleboy- I'll take you up on that offer... I'll get the demensions posted tommorrow and any other progress or steps backs I take<br /><br />Sorry this was long.

ledgefinder

Ensign

For max WOT timing on the 1969 & 70 V4s, you align "B" on the flywheel with the the timing lug on the hoisting bracket (towards the rear of the motor).<br /><br />I agree with your shop - sounds just like a clogged mainjet to me. Merely guessing, though, without knowing more about it/hearing it run.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Well... I'm going to rebuild the carbs... Shop had to order parts in. I figure as cheap as the kits are might as well go ahead and do them. When I cleaned them They looked pretty good with no crap in them and everything looked really good. This is not a problem I have been fighting awhile. Got things in order and she just pooped out on me. Thats when I found the rotor issue. Since then there has not been any change. <br /><br />Just came in from outside... that timing lug makes sense.. Moved the flywheel to the "A" and it makes my mark about 1/2" counter clockwise off from when I aligned TDC with the newer intake pointer. So it is fair to say my timming is off. That is assuming TDC is the "A"

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a timming lug on the hoisting bracket. But I dont think that the marks should line up with TDC. The Seloc manual says 4500 rpm at mark. It does not say which mark. I will check the clymer manual tonight. It may be that the marks on the flywheel are for WOT timming and not for TDC. Sorry I am not much help. I have only had this engine for one week. It is still relatively new to me.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dave,<br /><br />What shop did you take it to?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't take it to any shop yet..<br />Boat barn in CB was about 1 1/2 week out.. til they told me they could not get parts for if<br /><br />Buddy's Marina in Carter lake didn't really want it

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I usually take mine to the Boat Barn, cause I trust the mechanic.<br /><br />The probelm your going to have is most shops don't want anything that old. <br /><br />I believe their policy is that they don't work on anything older than 1976.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I found a shop.... Marine specialties off of 144th and industrial road. Had carb kits on hand and are more than willing to look at it after I rebuild the carbs... Best thing is.. I take it to them in the morning... I'll have it back that afternoon as long as parts don't need to be ordered... and price seemed pretty fair, <br />$70 to look and adjust if needed and from the way it sounded they keep a wide variety of parts on hand for these older motors. <br /><br />Working on opening up a main drain in the house today... somehow the wife got working on boat and snake the sewer confused...lol Hopefully after it's open... I'll get a chance to work on the boat.