At a loss

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice
1990 25hp evinrude, tiller, pull start.
Rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt water pump, cleaned and replaced needle vale on carb,had a new power pack installed. and was told the coils are ok.
Took it out today. It ran fine until after a long troll ;1/2 hour or so . I throttled up to go back up river,the motor got up to speed fine and then
started to run slower and slower until I was at 1/2 speed or less. Stopped for 15 30 minutes. Started the motor it ran fine.

What could be causing this???
TJ

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: At a loss

What comes to my mind, is that there is some kind of fuel issue going on here.
Tank Vent ok?
Suction hose in tank may have a screen that is plugging.
Or just the slow trolling speed carbonized the plugs. Just thinkin?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing to look at is the WOT timing advance setting. One time on mine the nut retaining the timing advance adjustment came loose. The timing retarded badly.

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks cofe I was leaning towards a tank prob.
Will replace the tank. have already replaced the lines in the motor and the lines 2 the tank. New bulb also.Will check plugs new 2 weeks ago.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

1990 25hp evinrude, tiller, pull start.
Rebuilt fuel pump, rebuilt water pump, cleaned and replaced needle vale on carb,had a new power pack installed. and was told the coils are ok.
Took it out today. It ran fine until after a long troll ;1/2 hour or so . I throttled up to go back up river,the motor got up to speed fine and then
started to run slower and slower until I was at 1/2 speed or less. Stopped for 15 30 minutes. Started the motor it ran fine.

What could be causing this???
TJ

Who did all the work on this ???

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

IS it a portable plastic tank? I have never seen a tank go bad other than rust or a hole. If the vent screw is open and the bulb is not sucking down the tank is most likely good and I wouldn't waste $35 on another. You ran for a 1/2 hour on it without any problems.

The symptoms sure sound like a hot motor. I wouldn't try and replicate the issue until you know it's pumping water and not getting hot.