Assistance required with partial restoration project.

Pechetr

Cadet
New member here....I am doing my very first boat restoration project and am learning as I go. Here is where I am at thus far...

1. All hardware removed including windshield
2. Interior removed and discarded
3. Gel coat cracks ground out and filled with short strand filler
4. Entire topside sanded with 80 then 120 grit
5. 3 Golf ball sized holes repaired in top side
6. Fibreglass removed from Transom top (due to cracking and delamination)
7. Transom inspected for rot (fortunately it is ok other than the delamination)
8. Transom repaired and re-capped with 5 layers of cloth
9. All holes (from bimini and bow cover) filled

I think I am ready to start the painting/gel coating process and have a few questions.

I have tried rolling and tipping new gelcoat and am not happy with the results. I have since purchased an HVLP gun and have sprayed a test area. I am happy with the sprayed application, but it has virtually no gloss. I am wondering to what extent I will have to sand/polish to get a nice durable hi gloss finish.

I am now thinking of gelcoating the bottomside using a 1:1 mixture of gelcoat and duratec hi gloss additive as this area will be subjected to under water use.

As for the topside, I am looking into Interlux brightside sprayed on.

Has anyone had experience with either method or both methods? I am obviously looking for a nice quality long lasting finish with minimal sanding/polishing.

I am also curious where a guy can get reasonably priced rub rail?

The boat is a 15.5 foot 1975 Princecraft Tri-hull with a 1980 Johnson 115 hp outboard.

I appreciate any help/advice you guys have to offer....

I purchased the boat/motor/trailer for 500 bucks so I can afford to invest a little in fixing it up.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Assistance required with partial restoration project.

hi....welcome to iboats !

it sounds like you kinda have the hang of it.....

just a few things......the gellcoat you sprayed will be as shiny as glass when you finish it. that means....adding a hi gloss to the gell wont do you anything.

the shine you are looking for comes form removing the orange peel left behind from the sprayer or brush. gellcoat does not normally "lay down" after spraying or rolling.....people try to add more acetone to it..(10 % is maximum)...but that just wrecks the gellcoat.

after cure.....sand the gellcoat starting at a 320 grit......sand till allmost all the orange peel is gone, then step up to 400 grit.....sand till you allmost cant see the orange any more. then 600 till its all gone......then 800 to remove the 600 scratches......the 1000 to remove the 800 scratches. then 1500 to shine........you will see a sheen coming from the surface about 800 grit. it gets better at 1500 grit.

now....you are looking at a chalky white surface....but its still not where you want......so here comes the shine.......polish using a proper gellcoat polish....i use farecla.

when you are buffing.....make sure you have your sunglasses on.....it will be like a brand new hull.

for more detailes and pictuures of the process including the finished product.....click the link in my thread.......and use the index on the first page....look for gellcoating the hull......go to that page and start reading......then when you have the process down....skip ahead till you start seeing pictures of the differert grits.........

and sorry.....sanding is involved.....lots of it.

paint is for cars.....gellcoat is for boats.

cheers
oops

Pechetr

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I was told by the manufacturer that the Hi gloss additive not only thins the gelcoat allowing it to lay flat, but it also allows the gel to dry to a much harder and more durable finish. They recomend three coats, then 2 hours to cure fully depending on temp and amount of MEK added. After that they say a light sand with a 350 - 800 grit wet or dry and then a 1000 polish followed by a 2000 polish to remove any swirl marks. Finally a coat of wax and done.

I found a retailer here that sells the duratec hi-gloss additive and picked up a quart. I sprayed 2 coats tonight and will see tomorrow how it cures up. Once I figure out how to add photos, I will upload them and let you know how it turns out. I can say that it went on very nicely and I had a tough time finding any orange peel on the flats. Some minor peel on the vertical surfaces, but not too bad at all. I am going to wet sand it tomorrow, tack and then hit it with a third coat.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for the tips....

Last edited:

Pechetr

Cadet

Well i just went out to see how everything dried....Amazing! It looks like it just came out of the mold. I can't believe the difference between this stuff and the rolling and tipping I tried earlier with just straight gelcoat. I don't think I will even need to sand. So impressed....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hmmm.. You sure about this info here Pechetr ? ..

Got any before and after pics ?

You are talking cured gel ... Gel is not paint .. it does NOT cure Finished looking.

YD.

Pechetr

Cadet

I think I may have figured out how to post pics....

SwimPlatformrepairs.jpg

Pechetr

Cadet

Ok today I hit it with a 400 then 600 wet sand followed by a 2000 grit polish and then a marine wax and buff. No orange peel and a nice gloss. Will likely brighten up in the sunlight but that won't be for a few weeks yet.