Arrow Glass Cougar

Fzy1

Cadet
Where do I start?

Neighbor came to my door and asked if my brothers were still interested in his boat.

Arrow Glass Cougar, with 1979 70HP Mercury, and trailer. Price 250 dollars.

I said screw my brothers I want it at that price. We proceeded to move over to my yard. I began to look it over. It was dirty as can be so my nephew, and niece began to clean.
DSC00147.jpg

Today I removed the seats,
DSC00154.jpg

One seat needed the bolts ground off. It was not close to the centerline at all. It looks to have had a hole drilled down into the stringer for the base approximately one inch in diameter. In the hole was mush. I then removed the captains chair and passenger chair. Once I had them out of the way. I removed the plywood sheeting that was screwed down into the deck.
DSC00164.jpghttp:
DSC00157.jpg

This is what I found:
DSC00165.jpg

The more I pulled, and cut the uglier it got.
DSC00163.jpg

Now I am at a crossroads. do I remove the guts;(foam, stringers rest of the plywood) or do I strip it sell off everything and look for a another boat.

Do the gutting and slab some wood alongside the stringer to reinforce them?

What about using composite material instead of fiber glassed wood?

If I do the area between the hull and the deck. What about epoxying a sheet or 4 of PT plywood and then paint them with Herculiner?

Money is an issue. So it will take time to do it all. Currently unemployed so I have time. But no garage so everything will be outside in the weather. I do have a tarp big enough to cover it.

The Engine needs a water pump, the hydraulics are disconnected and the motor for the lift may be bad.

Fzy1

Cadet
Re: Arrow Glass Cougar

Update

poured foam is soaked.

Do I need to use poured foam or would the pink/blue foam boards from HD/Lowes work?

Fzy1

Cadet

Thank you Woodonglass.

A fellow trooper told me I should change my steering system to a dual pull<?> instead of single pull one.

Anyone know what he is talking about or how much it is?

Fzy1

Cadet

SO I am thinking of just cutting the top off at just the transom and a foot back. Opinions?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

That boat is a lost cause ... Sorry..

Unless your in for a Full blown resto :) $$ ...

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Unless you want to remove the entire deck, cut out all of the stringers, remove and replace the transom and stringers, replace the deck, spend $1,500 bucks, then..... Yep, I'd be looking for another boat.

Fzy1

Cadet

So save the motor and the trailer? Trash the rest. I was hoping to restore it cheaply. Some things I knew would not be cheap.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, if you don't want do a full blown resto like YD suggested then salvage what you can and look for another project.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

It doesn't take long to learn there is no such thing as fixing up a boat "cheap", and chances are good that no matter what "smaller" craft you choose you'll never have a profit item, but you'll have a good boat once you're done, if you do a complete restore on it.

As far as the steering goes I don't see the need for dual steering for a 70HP (if you decide to fix this one) Dual usually starts are 150 HP and up.

Does the 70HP Merc run good? If it does then finding another hull might be a good option here. The real problem with most all older hulls is the same...rotten wood. Somtimes you can get lucky and find one still solid, but they are rare. Just find a hull that you "like" and look at what you have to spend and only you can decide if it's worth fixing up or not. When you're out shopping, now you know what to look for. Go over it with a fine tooth comb, before you buy.

Good luck

brtzero1

Recruit

If you part out the boat where are you located and how is the steering cable?

Fzy1

Cadet

As of this date I am still working on the rebuild. So far I have lighten it by at least 100lbs of soggy rotted wood. still have a 2X4foot section under the steering to cut out. but circular saw and rechargeable battery said enough. I also cut a nice six inch gash thru the bottom of the boat. #-o Just one more thing to fix Properly. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to help me figure out how to remove the Engine assembly.

Any clues, helpful hints are appreciated.

Thank you The great and powerful
FZY1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

To removed the motor...

1.) Remove All Cables, Electrical connections,and Fuel lines. (Take PICS BEFORE you remove so you'll have a reference how everything goes back)
2.) Loosen clamps and remove any bolts that secure motor to the transom.
3.) Drop the Motor to it's lowest position.
4.) One person Hold the motor while the other person Jacks the trailer tongue up until the motor comes free of the transom.
5.) Spin them motor away from the transom.
6.) Motor uninstalled.
7.) Build a Motor Stand and install.

Here's how to build your stand.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266008

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm sorry Fzy1 somethings are not to be. I see you have posted 15 times so you have been around for awhile. On this forum look for Friscoboater and his SeaRay. His boat is bigger so his costs are bigger as well but that is what a complete restoration is. He is doing his outside but he eventually broke down and got some kind of cover so he could work. Good luck in the future.

Fzy1

Cadet

Thank you Woodonglass, Sir, currently having issues on disconnecting the various cables. I will take pics later this evening.

Fzy1

Cadet

The General has weighed in on the rebuild and has spoken. The word is No.

so if there is some parts you can use let me know or offer me .

Perhaps someday I will be back with a better boat or the lottery and I will see eye to eye.

To everyone who has replied with advice, or comments I thank you.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I think your making a good choice FZ. With the amount of $$ you probably would have thrown at her you could have bought another one that would last at least a season or two before you had to dig into it ( or even more if you were lucky ;) ).

Tincrafts ..Glasscrafts ..they all have there pros/cons. I have recently been more "open" to the alum boat constructions ;) .

Shhhh.. dont tell anyone heheh.

YD.

Fzy1

Cadet

Anybody want a 70HP Mercury outboard? 250 before I work on it. 500-600 after.