Are you suppose to tow with the motor.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Are you suppose to tow with the motor.

I don't understand this one. The driveshaft that the impeller is on is also hooked to the engine. With the shifter in neutral all you are doing is disconnecting the gears from the driveshaft. The spinning prop does not do any damage unless you have a bunch of fishing line or something like that wrapped up around the prop shaft.

In my Mercury manual, it says to leave it in gear b/c motor might start in neutral... :eek:

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my Mercury manual, it says to leave it in gear b/c motor might start in neutral... :eek:
OK, explain how it would start in neutral going down the road........

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

100% impossible because there is nothing to turn the crank, to in turn compress air and fuel, then make a spark igniting it all. Tell me how the wind can make all that happen when there is a prop connected to a shaft connected to nothing?;)

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

Well I took the boat to the lake and left the motor on the back of the boat. Wasn't really a good measure because I used my Jeep wich has 5 inches of lift so the boat wasn't level and I really would never drive on the highway like that, especially with the motor in the back. Now I know everyone saying its ok but I hit a bump at 25 miles an hour and I just do not like the way the motor and trailer bounces in the back.

When I look at the transom and inspect the wood the wood looks fine but it almost looks like the wood should be the depth of the transom and have more bolts along the bottom as opposed to it going halfway down the transom.

A few issues with the motor: Now that I know what I am looking at.... when I bought the motor I never realized the mechanism under the motor that allows you to change the pitch of the motor is broke. There is no good way to lift the motor up and have it hold in place :( When its down theres 2 hooks the lock on the pin fine but when I extend it up the brackets are broken.
I guess I would have to find a junk 84 7.5 motor.

One last question I took my phone out there with me to use my speedo app. How fast should a 7.5 mercury go? The speed limit on my lake is 10mph and I felt i could of gone a little faster but there where tons of kayakers out there and I didnt want to create a bunch of wake.
I had my 3 kids in with me here is little quick video putting along great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6e3ThQUbdc

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If you're concerned about the transom reinforcement it's simple to just replace the wood that's in there with another piece that goes to the floor. However, it's not unusual for the wood to stop four to five inches above the floor. There should be a a triangular plate welded onto each corner on top and a bracket type brace on the bottom that's either welded or bolted to the floor and transom. The motor will bounce when you're towing, but that's okay as long as it's not bouncing like a bucking bronco. Did you strap it down in any way? If not, give that a try and see if it helps. In terms of speed, based on what I saw in the video it looks like you're getting great performance out of your little Merc. Don't know how close you were to WOT or what your actual speed was, but I wouldn't expect too much more.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

But you trust it when you take off in the water?

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice

I'd say with the four of you in that boat you were doing good! The kids looked happy and that's what its all about!

"One last question I took my phone out there with me to use my speedo app. How fast should a 7.5 mercury go? The speed limit on my lake is 10mph and I felt i could of gone a little faster but there where tons of kayakers out there and I didnt want to create a bunch of wake.
I had my 3 kids in with me here is little quick video putting along great!"