Are you suppose to tow with the motor.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice
Newbie question I tried reading some older post but maybe I am not understanding. I have a 14 ft Semi V (Aluminum) with a 7.5 Mercury. When I tow it to the lake I pull the motor out and lay it down in the boat. I really hate to do this because its a hassle and because ...... its a hassle. Actually Should I be laying it on its side in the boat. I lay down and thick cargo bag then lay it down but I would love to be able to drive with it on the back. My transom looks fine and it feels fine I just do not trust leaving my outboard with these clamps holding it to a transom in the back of my tin boat. Just wondering?????

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Are you suppose to tow with the motor.

There should be now issue with towing it with the motor on, if you are really concerned you could remove the clamps and bolt it but as long as the clamps are tight it shouldnt go anywhere.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

why do you remove the motor? :confused:

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....no clue as to the age of your 7.5, but.......
Many moons ago my dad snapped the shift handle off his old 7.5 by laying it down in the boat for transport!!!

Research Transom Savers and find one that fits your flavor.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would be more concerned about it bouncing around in the boat. When it is on the transom at least it is secured to something. If you were to hit a very big bump, something unexpected it would take quite a bounce in the boat.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

I guess you guys answered all my questions? I just got the boat and when I got it I asked the guy do you leave the motor on the back and he said he lays it down so thats what I did but I never liked it from day one. Its like you said its work work work and that defeats the purpose for me. I just wasn't sure with it being an aluminum boat. I figured I would ask since that is what these forums are for and again I have learned a ton on this forum.

As for braking the steering arm I can see how this could happen that was indeed my number 1 fear transporting the motor in the boat. Thanks everyone for the input I am going to make sure the motor is mounted secure on the boat and it will stay there for now on.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess you guys answered all my questions? I just got the boat and when I got it I asked the guy do you leave the motor on the back and he said he lays it down so thats what I did but I never liked it from day one. Its like you said its work work work and that defeats the purpose for me. I just wasn't sure with it being an aluminum boat. I figured I would ask since that is what these forums are for and again I have learned a ton on this forum.

As for braking the steering arm I can see how this could happen that was indeed my number 1 fear transporting the motor in the boat. Thanks everyone for the input I am going to make sure the motor is mounted secure on the boat and it will stay there for now on.

I dont know the details of your boat or motor, but I will insert my experience with my equipment.

I had a 14' Lund aluminum boat. Your basic barebone boat. Had a Merc 15 motor on the back. Had zero problems with it mounted on. It was bolted through the transom though.

Shrike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the idea to remove motor to trailer started many years ago when most boats were wood. A little rotten wood, a big bump and your motor might be laying in the road.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should not have any issues leaving it on the boat. BUT make sure you leave the motor DOWN not locked in an UP position. When its down, see what clearance you have to the ground. You want enough so you don't snap the skeg (bottom of motor).

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If you don't want to bolt it on you can put a long shackle lock on it. That will keep the clamps tight on the transom and will add a tad bit of security. Thieves love to take small outboards off of transoms. A lock may slow them down just enough to convince them to move on.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just going to mention what Incoop just said, we also had a saftey chain from the motor to a bracket near the transom just in case it did jump off. I was just looking at a 12' with a small motor on it on a easy haul trailer and he had a transom saver mounted on his, I dont know why because he has lots of clearence from the road. When you leave your motor on remember to leave it in gear as it is said it could mess up the water pump impeller when the prop spins in the wind. I would certainly leave the motor mounted when its on a trailer, I wouldn't worry about bolting it on but it would be harder to steal, I would make sure it was locked up like Incoop mentioned, if a long shacked lock dosent fit find a bolt that will go through both clamps.:)

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

I was just going to mention what Incoop just said, we also had a saftey chain from the motor to a bracket near the transom just in case it did jump off. I was just looking at a 12' with a small motor on it on a easy haul trailer and he had a transom saver mounted on his, I dont know why because he has lots of clearence from the road. When you leave your motor on remember to leave it in gear as it is said it could mess up the water pump impeller when the prop spins in the wind. I would certainly leave the motor mounted when its on a trailer, I wouldn't worry about bolting it on but it would be harder to steal, I would make sure it was locked up like Incoop mentioned, if a long shacked lock dosent fit find a bolt that will go through both clamps.:)

Thanks I never thought about putting in gear. As for those transom savers I tried to get someone at Bass Pro to explain how exactly it mounts but they where busy. Do those things mounts from transom motor or from trailer to motor.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

I do have to say this...... I live in California and we dont have lakes like some do on the east coast. Although I live on a Lake the next closest lake is about 30 miles away and they are always packed. Here in SoCal a llt of people like to get away on the weekends to beat the heat (like me). Last week I drove 4 hours up to Paso Robles Lake Margarita to go camping with the boat.

I guess that was my concern the motor being on the boat fo those long hauls. My boat is so damn light that even with all my camping gear in the front with coolers and just the motor, battery and gas in the rear the trailer still wanted to do a wheely. Thanks everyone!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Trailer to motor, but you'll likely have a hard time finding one to fit your rig. They're generally made for larger motors. As long as your transom is strong (no cracks on or around it) you should have no problem towing with the motor down. I tow my fishing boat (in my sig w/ 18 hp Merc) that way. For good measure I run a bungee cord over the motor and hook it to the transom handles. Seems to decrease motor bounce.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

Trailer to motor, but you'll likely have a hard time finding one to fit your rig. They're generally made for larger motors. As long as your transom is strong (no cracks on or around it) you should have no problem towing with the motor down. I tow my fishing boat (in my sig w/ 18 hp Merc) that way. For good measure I run a bungee cord over the motor and hook it to the transom handles. Seems to decrease motor bounce.

Ill be giving it a try in a bit going to take the kids to park to play some baseball then going to take the boat out. Thanks a ton!!!

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The one I saw today may have been homemade, had a bracket on the frame of the trailer, 3/4" square tube and I guess 1/2" square tube inside that with a bolt to adjust the length and on the end looked like a V bumper which was strapped to the skeg. The only reason I can think of why he had it is with the motor tipped it might shift the weight of the motor over the top of the transom instead of hanging off the one side. As for the bouncing not much you can do with these small trailers, make sure after you load it your tonge weight is less than a 100lbs, load over your axle then forward. Keep in mind the limits of your trailer tires which isn't much.

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you leave your motor on remember to leave it in gear as it is said it could mess up the water pump impeller when the prop spins in the wind.
I don't understand this one. The driveshaft that the impeller is on is also hooked to the engine. With the shifter in neutral all you are doing is disconnecting the gears from the driveshaft. The spinning prop does not do any damage unless you have a bunch of fishing line or something like that wrapped up around the prop shaft.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think Mntom is right on that one. I was taught that a long time ago by a old timer and it stuck with me all this time. The prop spinning would not have any effect to the water pump. Sorry about the misinformation Jis4Jeep.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

I think Mntom is right on that one. I was taught that a long time ago by a old timer and it stuck with me all this time. The prop spinning would not have any effect to the water pump. Sorry about the misinformation Jis4Jeep.

Thats ok! I appreciate all you guys help, I really do. Its hard to express how hooked I am on the boat thing. I love it!!!!