Are we all energy pigs?

f_inscreenname

Commander
I try to do the right things. I turn off the lights behind me. I have newer vehicles working properly. My house AC/heat are programmed into the thermostat to go on and off at the proper times at a “good” temp. I don't leave the hose on when I wash the car. Efficient sinks, toilet etc. Have installed new windows and insolated the house in the last couple years......... But......... Then there come my boat. Dump lots of gas, oil into it, burn it up, go home, do it again next weekend. I don't care what type of motor (even trolling motors have to charge the batteries, more energy) and boat you have. Short of being a waterman by trade you are just wasting energy. I have come to terms that I “cant” say I do everything I can for the environment. Kind of sucks but I don't think I am going to give up my boat . Then there is the whole oil thing. Being dependent on the middle east etc. Should I feel bad? What do you all think?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Are we all energy pigs?

Dont fall into the liberal guilt trip. You've done all you can, enjoy your life.<br /><br />Making everything as efficient as possible makes good sense. Obstaining from a fun activity just because it uses energy doenst make sense.<br /><br />Ken

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ive come to understand that im selfish, yes I talk a good game , recycle my rubbish etc etc but hey I drive a car that does 25mpg a boat that burns fuel by the 'boat load' and if I stop nobody else will so whats the point.<br /><br />Yes Im selfish and its wrong but I am happy :) and when the oils gone I will feel bad

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I would have to say that most of us are "energy pigs", f-in. Even if we do waht we can to conserve fuel and water, and dispose of waste in as clean a manner as possible, the fact is that most fuel sources are finite, and the planet has a limitted ability to recover from what we do to it. I personally have spent 30years of my life in the environmental protection field, and have seen huge leaps in technologies and have no doubt, these advances will continue with those who have replaced me.<br />Confusious say, "Necessity is the mother of invention". We have no choice but to develop new ways to get to werk, and once there, perform werk.<br />The single most important thing to keep in mind tho is, it will not happen until such technologies become profitable. And they will. Unfortunately, it may only happen after the price of existing resources becomes so repulsively high, that our economy crashes under the strain. But mark my words--somebody will invent a new light bulb, become fabulously wealthy, change human existance, and retire to Florida.After all, it has been done before.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Let's all take a moment to feel bad about our boating (or other energy-consuming hobby). :( <br /><br />Sorry for sounding so flippant; I think, do what you can and don't use up too much of your own energy feeling bad about it.<br /><br />Here's some perspective: company I work for burns over 3 billion gallons of jet fuel a year.<br /><br />BTW, how many devices in your home with a remote-control on/off switch? Any idea what the stand-by power consumption is?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The single most important thing to keep in mind tho is, it will not happen until such technologies become profitable. And they will. Unfortunately, it may only happen after the price of existing resources becomes so repulsively high, that our economy crashes under the strain. But mark my words--somebody will invent a new light bulb, become fabulously wealthy, change human existance, and retire to Florida.After all, it has been done before.<br />
That's the truth.. just don't let em' retire here, please... :D <br /><br />I turn the lights off, don't run the hose, turn the A/C thermostat up when i'm not at home or at the shop, ect, ect, ect.. <br /><br />But when it comes to my vehicles, I am a selfish energy pig... Big fuel thirsty boat, and a nearly as thirsty little boat.. Gas guzzling, 10 mpg down hill w/a tailwind, truck (drinks only 93 octane)..<br /><br />And I don't feel the least bit guilty!!! :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As long as it is available and cheap I will use it.<br /><br />I consider gas cheap at $2.50, compared to the 70s shortage.<br /><br />I use a lot less than most folks, but I still use a lot.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do believe we in Canada use the more energy per capita than anyone else on the planet.<br />Helps with global warming I say.<br />I like Florida's climate and won't stop 'till I have palm trees in my backyard.<br />Think I'll go out and let my snowmobile idle for a bit.