Are these terminal gouges in my crankshaft 1971 Johnson 50 with pics

Jconnell43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are these terminal gouges in my crankshaft 1971 Johnson 50.
I pulled the flywheel on good advice from a forum member to find my woodruff key had disintegrated and I presume had left crank gouges.

Are these repairable with let's say filling with JB Weld or some other method.
These are all gouges that are recessed, no metal above the crank surface.

Boat doesn't see a lot of use, especially at WOT.

Attachments

• photo274035.jpg
    photo274035.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo274036.jpg
    photo274036.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0

joepcdr

Seaman
Here's what I'm going to tell you. My 63 Johnson has some pretty deep gouges in its crank caused by the woodruff key being broken off sometime in its life. The previous owner of the boat at some point put JB weld on it and it's held for all these years up till I pulled off the flywheel a few years back. I myself filled in the void with JB weld once again and used emery cloth to sand it down. It's been running fine like that for the last 4 years without an issue. The key thing is to make sure that when you put your flywheel back on that you crank it down to what the specs are for your motor. If you don't you'll just end up sheering it again.

Jconnell43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good advice, I will try the JB and the emery cloth.
Gouges are all below the key slot so cranking it down per specs should do it, I hope.

Do the gouges actually affect something, does the missing metal throw off the balance of the crank?

joepcdr

Seaman
As long as the gouges aren't in an area where they role along a bearing or seal you should be fine. If the are in an area around a bearing or seal you'll probably going to have some play in the shaft and that's going to cause a complete set of different issues. With these older motors its starting to get hard to find new and decent used parts for them.

I got a evenrude sitting in my garage right now I was hoping to rebuild. But it has a gouge that's too deep for my comfort. I'm talking one that goes almost half the shaft thickness deep. I've spent the last year looking for someone who'd be willing to weld it and turn it down to specs. I found one guy up in I think it was Michigan that was willing to do it for me. But he was going to charge like $500 to do it. To me that's $500 I could be spending elsewhere.