Are there options to carpet?

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Old boat may get new carpet over the winter. What's there is surprisingly in tact but it's faded and won't really clean up well any longer. Are there options to carpet that people have had success with? It's a fiberglass over wood floor.

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Are there options to carpet?

Old boat may get new carpet over the winter. What's there is surprisingly in tact but it's faded and won't really clean up well any longer. Are there options to carpet that people have had success with? It's a fiberglass over wood floor.
some guys realy like the nautalex if you do a search on here you will find a link , they will send you some samples for free.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Closed cell EVA foam in sheets with 3M adhesive backing sold under the brand names of SeaDek, Hydro-Turf, Soft Deck and probably other names of which I am not aware are alternatives. (I have no economic interest in or affiliation with any of the products or vendors.) Very easy to trim yourself and avoid the cost of machine cutting, although machine cutting by the vendor will certainly result in a more aesthetically pleasing product. Just did my Azure AZ220 deck boat and am happy with the results, even though I did cut it myself. I had 11 different sizes and shapes of pieces to pattern and cut so it was a bit of work. Much more comfortable to stand on and doesn't get as hot as bare deck or even carpet. The foam also does not absorb water and therefore mildew in addition to being easier to clean than the bare deck or carpet. You can find the stuff in just about any pattern and color combination you want. The product itself only cost me around $175 (I got a discontinued color at a discount) but a lot of time and labor was required to cut patterns, cut the pieces themselves, prepare the deck and install. I am quite sure the downside will come when the foam eventually dries out/cracks and has to be removed/replaced but surely that will be a few years down the road. Don't have any pictures of my finished product yet. Hopefully I can remember to take some tomorrow when I uncover the boat to hit the river.

PS: Not to thread crap, but during my research on floor products there were several people on other fourms that said that Nautolux (sp?) and other similar vinyl flooring, while very good products, did tend to show surface imperfections in the underlying deck very distinctly. I even saw some pictures posted in those forums that supported that proposition. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

PS: Not to thread crap, but during my research on floor products there were several people on other fourms that said that Nautolux (sp?) and other similar vinyl flooring, while very good products, did tend to show surface imperfections in the underlying deck very distinctly. I even saw some pictures posted in those forums that supported that proposition. Just something to think about.

This mainly happens to people that don't know what they're doing and don't have sense enough to ask advice.

Yes Nautolex is a thin deck covering/finish and will require a certain amount of prep work before installing it if you don't use a quality decking material. If installing it over deck joints and fasteners the fasteners should be driven below the top of the deck and then filled over and sanded smooth, deck joints also need to be filled and sanded.

Look at your deck job before installing the material, if it looks like caca-doody... it'll look like caca-doody wrapped in vinyl when you're done.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Carpeting? I don't consider that an option at all.

Nautolex looks funky to me. I refer Marideck. Cabellas has good pricing. It's what Starcraft, Polarcraft, Alumacraft and others use as std. equipment.

I recently came across an old boat that I bought brand new in 1971. It was on the 4th owner now. The seats were torn, the hull was faded and chalked, but the deck still looked like new.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had Marideck on my last boat, and it was excellent.

I removed the snap in carpet on my current boat, and am just waiting on my custom SeaDek cockpit pads to be produced. Marideck looks pretty good and is extremely durable, but it can't match the underfoot feel of SeaDek, IMO.

As stated by others, I don't consider full-floor carpet to be an option either. Snap in carpet looks nice and feels good underfoot, but I am too annoyed by the potential for stains to deal with it.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks all for the various options. Will do some homework before the project gets done.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick pics of my install of closed cell EVA foam.

Attachments

• floor1.JPG
    floor1.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • floor2.JPG
    floor2.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 0
  • floor4.JPG
    floor4.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
  • floor5.JPG
    floor5.JPG