Are Side Mount Mercury Controls Reversable from Port to Starboard?

david860

Cadet
I have side mount Mercury brand remote controls that were used on a mid-90s 25hp. They mount on the port side. Can they be reversed to mount on the starboard side? Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Are Side Mount Mercury Controls Reversable from Port to Starboard?

A pic or model would help. Many of them are reversible.

david860

Cadet

A pic or model would help. Many of them are reversible.

Here are pictures of the box front and back attached. I did not see a model number.

Attachments

• controls5.jpg
    controls5.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2
  • controls6.jpg
    controls6.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have the exact same one, and yes its a easy one to reverse remove the bolt and pull out the shift handle and swap sides.

controls5 1.jpg

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Here are pictures of the box front and back attached. I did not see a model number.

That looks like an early model Quicksilver Commander 2000. As you recall, years ago, steering was on the port side and later was standardized on the starboard side. Rumor has it was to counter balance propeller torque since most props turn cw and the torque as a result puts downward pressure on the port side of the boat. So, since those were the who knows which side it's mounted years, they designed the control to be mounted on either.....speculation but probably accurate.

I have a later model and I'm not sure you can or can't. The problem would be if the covers came off or not so that you could swap sides. But you may not have to. A top view would help determine that....aka are both sides identical once the lever was removed. Mounting holes have to go all the way through so that's a no brainer.

It appears that the square outline you see in view 1 is the shift/throttle center part and possibly the small screws just above it hold it in place. Removing those screws may allow you to slide it out and mount from the other side. Once you get the handle out so that you can see the side shown in view 2 there may be holes there too for reinstalling the screws....aka it will.

Good luck,
Mark

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just remove bolt as Hawker posted but you will find a half moon part mounted to box,that will have to be swapped also....

david860

Cadet

OK. Thanks everyone for your responses. I will give it a try. This forum is great for getting information!!