Are my toons to small? I need a game plan.

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1990 20' bass buggy - 60 HP Johnson - I think it weighs around 1250 lbs but I cant find any manufacturing stickers (it might be 21').

I just moved to Florida and like going out for 3 days/2 nights which mean I have a lot of extra weight. I figure with batteries, gas, tackle, people and so on I have about 1300 lbs added to the boat/motor weight. The pictures you can see the water level in front is 12" from the top of the toon and the back the water level is 6" from the top and this was with about 600 lbs up front.

The floors rotten and the steering cable is rusted so I figured it is time to restore the boat but I really want to add more weight with built in storage so the weight might be closer to 1600 lbs when done. So 1600 lb + 1250 lb boat/motor = 2850 lb.

Will these 21" diameter toons be safe even if I can even out the weight from the front to the back trying to get the water line more even or is it supposed to be lower in the back? Or would it best best to add a 3rd center toon or should I replace the 21" with 25" toons? I want to be as safe as possible particularity since I'll be in salt water and you never know what kind of wave might hit you from other boat or barge waves.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I forgot, I took off all the furniture that was on the boat when they sold it so the weight of 1250 lb is more likely closer to 850 lbs
So 1600 lbs my stuff and 850 lb boat/motor =2450

I found a calculate where I think one 21" pontoon log will hold 3000 lbs which should support the full weight? So I wonder if the current location of the water level in the picture is okay?

captmello

Captain
if the boat is sitting at that level lightly loaded, I would consider that too low.
fully loaded, that may be ok, however I would not want to be in rough water at that level.

ahicks

Captain
For your purposes, I would NOT consider that boat a good rebuild project. Instead, I would start scouting out a 24' boat with bigger pontoons (preferably 25") in dire need of rebuilding. There are likely many around without having to go far. Perhaps one with no motor that could be purchased on the cheap because it's in terrible condition. Crest III's make great project boats if you can find one. A boat like that will be no more difficult to rebuild than the one you have, total cost will be just a few bucks more, and you'll have a WAY more capable boat, done just the way you like it in the end. I would definitly move that hard top to the new boat!

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For your purposes, I would NOT consider that boat a good rebuild project. Instead, I would start scouting out a 24' boat with bigger pontoons (preferably 25") in dire need of rebuilding. There are likely many around without having to go far. Perhaps one with no motor that could be purchased on the cheap because it's in terrible condition. Crest III's make great project boats if you can find one. A boat like that will be no more difficult to rebuild than the one you have, total cost will be just a few bucks more, and you'll have a WAY more capable boat, done just the way you like it in the end. I would definitly move that hard top to the new boat!
I'm thinking the same thing about buying a bigger boat but before I give up on this 20' I wanted to see if adding a 3rd toon or adding 25" toons to this boat makes since, it would be less expensive since I already have it and 20' vs 24' would be less material to buy for the renovation? It would be nice to have an extra 4' as long as I don't add the kitchen sink (I already have a toilet).

I guess another question I should be asking is which would be safer with this 1600 extra pound if I get hit by large waves, a 24' boat with 25" toons or this 20' boat with 25" or 3rd toon?

ahicks

Captain
Re: which is safer, that's not even a contest. With 'toons floating as low as yours are there's very little between you and wet feet.....

Your boat will never sink unexpectedly, but boats loaded like that can capsize, and things can get pretty ugly at that point.

I'm just guessing here, but I bet if you check on the price of larger or longer toons, or a 3rd toon, you may get a real eye opening. I've seen bare Crest III's sell for less than the price of a single new pontoon - without even figuring freight costs on what the new toon will cost you.

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just remembered I have the picture of when I bought the boat, the other owner had it sitting in water at his dock (I had to buy trailer). He had only the stock furniture, 1 battery and 6 gallon gas sitting on the boat full time and you can see the water line then (lime green line), it might have been sitting about 55% out of the water if balanced out.

Now with no furniture and all my 1300 lbs of gear this weekend (red line) it's about 43% out of the water if balanced out. Which if the tag say 8 persons or 1200 lbs I should be under the maximum weight by 300 lbs since I got rid of the furniture. So to be no more then 50% out of the water I can't go over 800 lbs gear?

I might unscrew the 4 plugs on top of the toons and just be sure there's no water in them?

Attachments

• 9-17-2016 12-07-01 PM.jpg
    9-17-2016 12-07-01 PM.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 10

captmello

Captain
I've never seen a pontoon sit level in the water, always bow up because of extra weight in the rear. just to compare, my 24 footer with 23" tubes, before adding a third tube, would sit about halfway under water at the rear and about 3 inches under at the front. I added a third 18 foot tube. now it sits about the same in the rear, but the front of the tubes are up so they barely touch the water. this is with full factory furniture installed. my toon is rated for 16 people or 2300 lbs I believe...
I have to agree, with a ahicks, that a 24 foot boat would be way better. I boat on a very large lake and would not have a smaller pontoon than my 24 footer.

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've never seen a pontoon sit level in the water, always bow up because of extra weight in the rear. just to compare, my 24 footer with 23" tubes, before adding a third tube, would sit about halfway under water at the rear and about 3 inches under at the front. I added a third 18 foot tube. now it sits about the same in the rear, but the front of the tubes are up so they barely touch the water. this is with full factory furniture installed. my toon is rated for 16 people or 2300 lbs I believe...
I have to agree, with a ahicks, that a 24 foot boat would be way better. I boat on a very large lake and would not have a smaller pontoon than my 24 footer.
Makes since, they figure all the people will be up front balancing it out.