Are my benches structural?

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everybody.

I have two benches in my boat and I was wondering if they are structural? Meaning if I remove one, will it compromise the integrity of the hull?

Reason I ask is because i'm certain that they are hollow and if so, to me, that is wasted space! I'd like to cut a door in the top or either side of it to use as storage. If and when I do do this, I'll create a new post to ask how!

I've attached pictures below showing what is holding them down. On the floor, they are just screwed down, but on the sides of the hull, I'm not sure, Are they rivets?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_0174.JPG
    100_0174.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0173.JPG
    100_0173.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 0

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Are my benches structural?

It looks like you have a 14 ft aluminum boat. If that is the case, usually, those seats are structural in nature, and add greatly to the integrity of the hull.......now, MY OPINION is that you may likely be able to cut a hole in the top and use those for storage, but not remove the seat completely. More likely is that those seat areas are filled with foam to aid in the "swamped flotation" of the boat, so your boat can't sink. I would do some more checking before I removed them....

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I'll do some more checking next time I go out there.

If I were to cut a door in one or both of them for storage, I'm assuming it would be easiest to do if I remove the bench, cut the door, then put the bench back in. Or would it be easier to just leave the benches there and do the cutting?

If removing them first is the best option, I need to know what those fasteners are in the pictures above and if they are removeable or not.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup, they're structural, and almost certainly filled with foam. The fasteners are rivets. You can remove the seats by drilling out the rivets, carefully. It would, no doubt, be easier to create the storage areas with them out.

But, you'll have to put them back in to keep the sides of your boat stable. The problem with that is that at least one of those rivets is below the waterline. So, however you secure them after putting them back in is going to have to be watertight.

It's hard to tell, there, but is that a wooden seat on top of the box? If so, you might want to investigate the option of hinging the seat, or part of it for access to storage.

Losing the foam is a safety issue you'll want to consider. With the foam, the boat will float if swamped full of water. Without the foam, it will sink to the bottom.

CATransplant

Admiral

So we can get a better idea of how your boat is made, can you take a picture of the interior from above? Get as much of the boat in it as you can. That way, the layout will be clearer.

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a leather seat that was screwed down to the front bench. Funny story; I was sitting up there one day with my line in the water just relaxing and all the sudden the screwes came right out of the bench and I fell backwards. My Fiance thought it was hysterical. Anyways, that seat is just sitting on the rear bench now, it's not fastened down or anything.

If those are rivets, and the lower ones are below the water line, then I'm not going to touch them. That would be in way over my head!

That being said, would it be possible to create storage compartments in the benches without removing them?

Here is a pic. The box on the left is a livewell and the box on the right is storage.

Attachments

• 100_0165-1.jpg
    100_0165-1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

That's my favorite layout for fishing boats. I wouldn't cut into the two boxed in seats. The foam in there is the only flotation on that boat.

Here's what I'd do:

I'd deck over the front seat forward to just under the bow plate, and hinge the entire new deck. If you build a vertical bulkhead that goes under the triangular front plate down to the bottom of the boat, you can hinge the deck to that vertical bulkhead, using hinges heavy enough to support the weight of a person standing on the deck.

That would give you storage in front of the current front bench, space that rarely gets used. There are variations you can use, of course, like decking flush with the front bench, using an aluminum angle for support all the way across, but with the deck hinged as I said earlier.

You'll have to think about this a bit, to find the best way to approach it. 3/4" exterior plywood would be heavy enough in that small area, and light enough to lift. The bulkhead under the front bow plate would need to match the contour of the bottom of the hull. The idea is to fasten it on top and let it support itself on the bottom.

Cardboard templates can be made to make the fit nice.

Just an idea for you to consider.

Also, you won't have any luck fastening a seat just to the top of those aluminum seat. The metal's too thin, and the screws will just pull out. Instead, make a platform that attaches to the front and rear of the bench with aluminum brackets, then attach your swivel seat to the platform. There's much more strength in shear than in tension for those fasteners.

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as your idea for a storage compartment at the bow, I had that in mind as well. I was just going to cut a triangular type shape out of plywood and put it verticaly up there and then cut a small hole in that and hinge it. I'd like to do that for anchor line. The reservoir where I fish is very deep. And then I'd like to attach a manual anchor winch at the bow.

As far as the seat goes; the knuckle head that I bought the boat from must have screwed that seat down into the bench. I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave it off, this way I can put it wherever I want which is much more convenient. Here is a picture of my Fiance with it in her favorite spot. (also notice the rusty square on the front bench where the seat used to be mounted)(This is also a good picture of the bow and where I'd like to close it up to make a storage compartment for lines and anchors.)

There is more foam under the deck. Here is another picture to show you. below deck is hollow down the middle, but on the outside edges is filled with foam. You can see on the right side of the picture.

So I guess I should just leave the benches alone? I'll check next time I go out to make certain that they are filled with foam.

Attachments

• foam spill.jpg
    foam spill.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0405.JPG
    DSCN0405.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

She looks mighty comfy there.

I'm sure you'll find the way to customize your boat to make it just how you like it. I hope you'll get many, many hours on the water in it. Happy fishing, too!

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You were right, the two benches have white styrofoam in them. So I guess I wont touch the benches.

When I have the money and time to make that storage box under the bow plate, I'll post a new thread for help.

Thanks!