Are bungee dock lines trusty?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Trusty enough to for extended unsupervised use? Because I remove & stack my dock sections for the winter I don't have cleats installed. I slip the eyes of the dock lines over the dock posts to secure my pontoon. This is the beginning of my 2nd season with this old boat but I think this method had served the previous owner for 30+ years. I'd like to improve on it without getting complicated, if possible. My lines need to be long enough to reach up over the top of the posts but this leaves a lot of slack and allows the boat to drift out ~20" from the dock.

Can I replace the lines with bungees to keep the boat snug to the dock?

20140624_115525.jpg

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I use boat bungees for rafting up with other boats all the time and love them. I dont know if I would leave them out and exposed for extended periods of time as the sun will take its toll on their elasticity and stregnth. Maybe use them in conjunction with a rope back up.

Maclin

Admiral
As BRICH mentioned, Sun kills them, and even for short term that effect is cumulative.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Bungie is not suitable. Deck cleats are not a problem to install - just do it and remove them for storage if you must.

Regardless, snug on the dock is not the way to go. Many people use mooring whips, or simply sink 2 poles on the other side of the boat and use 4 dock lines. That way there is no unnecessary damage to the dock or the boat.

If those ideas aren't to your liking, just tie the line with a knot around the pole, leave the line on the pole, and then tie the spliced end to the cleat on the boat.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I use bungee cords for my anchor and temporary beach tie ups, works great! I've been doing that for years on the same bungee and don't see any visible degradation. I also sourced my bungee at a farm supply store, so it isn't necessarily consumer grade disposable crap.

Anyway, you do NOT want to use them for dock tying though... At first thought it might seem like a good idea, it cushions any wave action. In reality that isn't needed. What really happens is that the bungee ends up pulling tight, and then rockets your boat into the dock much harder compared to no bungee/rope only.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
We put "eyes" on the sides of our dock sections (ours comes out seasonally too) and leave the lines at the dock (as opposed to on the boat). For a couple of our boats, a well tied clove hitch to the dock post will do just fine tying up (and that's being tied up for weeks between visits). We also add a spring line to most of 'em (from shore if needed) to help cushion against movement when it's going to be tied up a long time.

Also - add some fenders to your dock posts. Those will typically fend the boat off the dock itself if you have it tied up correctly.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
NO they are not trusty at all..... they steal identities, drink, snap at people, make prank phone calls......oh they are sneaky and ugly....... I would not consider them trusty at all. :jaw::rofl: