Are brass and aluminum compatible?

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made a modified bypass cover for my 4 hp so I bought longer SS screws. Now I was told that SS and aluminum are not compatible. I don't want to use standard steel screws because of rust so would brass be OK?

DLH

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Are brass and aluminum compatible?

every outboard or outdrive I have ever owned is loaded with SS fasteners in aluminum. I suppose there are different stainless definitions, but I'm pretty sure it's a non issue.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is a modified bypass cover?

The exhaust cover. I thought someone here called it a bypass cover. I made one of thicker aluminum so I could tap it for a tell tale.

DLH

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

every outboard or outdrive I have ever owned is loaded with SS fasteners in aluminum. I suppose there are different stainless definitions, but I'm pretty sure it's a non issue.

I wanted to repair an aluminum ladder so I was getting some SS screws from the same store that I got the screws I used on the motor when the guy at the store told me not to use their SS screws on aluminum because they would cause the aluminum to corrode. He said to use normal steel screws. I checked the original screws on the motor and they are as magnetic as a normal steel screw while the ones I got from the store were not magnetic at all.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Stainless are better than steel but nothing is perfect - dissimilar metals are going to react no matter what materials you use. It's just a matter of how much and over how long a period of time. Use some NevRSeize on the threads to prevent future issues. Chances are that if you take care of the motor you'll never have to remove them again anyway...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The guy at the store was right and wrong.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have a problem combining select stainless alloys with most aluminum alloys. The problem is that the use of pure metals is extremely rare. Most are alloyed with multiple elements so you have to look at all the elements in the mix to determine their compatibility.

Case in point, 6061 aluminum. While pure aluminum (1100 alloy) is high up the nobility table, 6061 (aircraft aluminum) is alloyed with copper to improve machining. Copper can be highly reactive to other common alloying elements under a lot of conditions. Big problems typically arise when you when you throw heat and moisture into the mix.

In your situation, assuming that the aluminum is a 5XXX series marine alloy, 3XX or 4XX series stainless hardware would provide satisfactory performance. A high chromium steel alloy would be ideal. Stay away from copper and brass if you don't like little piles of white dust (corrosion) growing from the contact area. Also be mindful of what "anti-seize you use, if any. Most are copper based which only exasperates the problem. The liberal use of a good quality grease on assembly, I prefer calcium sulfonate in marine applications, will go a long way towards minimizing problems in the future.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Short, easy answer:

Marine alloy aluminum, and marine alloy stainless steel: About the best we can do, not perfect, but pretty good, it holds up my mast, and has done so for 30 years.

Any aluminum and any brass: Never, never! Bad corrosion, imminent failure.