Are boats just not selling right now????

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
put mine on 6 different craigs list cities, local paper, on a couple of free sites and not one bite. the boat i am wanting to buy (as well as several other boats i have noticed) has been placed on same number of sites and i am the only one to call him. jut wondering is this just north central fl or all over the usa

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Are boats just not selling right now????

put mine on 6 different craigs list cities, local paper, on a couple of free sites and not one bite. the boat i am wanting to buy (as well as several other boats i have noticed) has been placed on same number of sites and i am the only one to call him. jut wondering is this just north central fl or all over the usa

i would say it is all over funny people are choosing food and morgage over boats lmao :D

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

laughing your aZZ off but it's the sad truth

cash sales are a different animal but the process for a loan at the local bank has changed...you need a source of income now

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think with the struggling economy and the rising fuel costs boats are now becoming a luxury.

For larger boats you need a truck to pull them and people just don't want gas guzzling trucks with the rising fuel costs. I read somewhere that new boat sales are way down as well.

captquest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BREAKING NEWS!!!
don't mean to be a smart arse, but have you been out at sea for the last few months? The economy is in deep ----. The bad news is you could probably sell your boat eventually if you cut the price in half. Good news is you could probably buy that one you want for half the price.
Seriously, my business has slowed dramatically in the last thirty days. I recently put a bunch of money in my boat, rebuilt engine, reconditioned trailer, and went over the whole boat. Now I can't afford to fill it up with gas! Hoping for better days ...soon!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

that's my impression - boats not selling... can hardly give an "average" one away. I've seen the same ones cycle on and off oc craigslist, in the bargain trader with prices getting lower and lower... lots of the local boat companies have laid people off and I'm seeing very, very few movement and new boats that saeem to be coming out and the same ones in the lots...

Course I'm buying gas instead of food... but I get the sense that I'm not so typical in that regard...

good luck selling - hope you are able to for a pricve you can live with. keep at it and you never know, may find one of the ones that's looking and wants what you have.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Boats are still selling around here. I think if its priced right, it will sell. If your not getting any bites, then you might just be asking too much..... something to think about.

mthieme

Captain

Around here after Labor Day, boating slows up big time. WRong time of year.
Did you post on 6 differenet Craig's list simultaneously? If so how? I tried and it told me I couldn't do it.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Around here after Labor Day, boating slows up big time. WRong time of year.
Did you post on 6 differenet Craig's list simultaneously? If so how? I tried and it told me I couldn't do it.

same here - what I do is i reword it a little and change the name of the pics I upload.

besides its hard to sell a boat.

everyone that has one thinks its worth thousands more than it is. Even far gone projects- rusted trailer, roted hull, seized Oldsmobile outboard, no title, etc etc and people still want $2,000 for them.

When I first got into boats I was shunned by friends for getting something so 'small' reason they didn't understand was that so I could tow it with my car @ 20 mpg.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the process for a loan at the local bank has changed...you need a source of income now

hahahahahahahahahahahahaah!

When my father sold his $500,000 home. the new owners income was $2,200 a month. But there mortage would have been around $1900 with what they put down. Banks gave them the place without problems.

(its currently up in forcloser if anyones interested)

mthieme

Captain

I put a hidden hitch on my wife's cavalier just so I could tow my 200# hydroplane - 12 more mpg than my truck.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I kinda got rid of the biggest expense (the wife) so i could keep buyin gas...

it doesn't surprise me that we are in the mess we are. Not long ago we started looking at buying a new home. I was shoclked when the loan officer at the bank told me how much i qualify to borrow (it was obscene and there was no way i could see being able to pay the amount they came up with back!) - i was like you gotta be kidding me...

charliet806

Cadet

You are 100% right boats are not selling right now. I'm down by Barnegat Bay
& Barnegat Inlet. Gas prices ran from $4.39 to $4.79 at marinas this summer, & a lot of boats were left blocked up in the marinas & in peoples yards. The good news is that it was not as crowded as usual. I could boat weekends again.
I have been trying to sell my boat, a 36' Trojan, it's listed with 4 brokers
@ $49,900. The BUC & NADA Values are from $55,000. to $62,000. I reduced the price myself on Craigs list & numerous other sites & fishing site forums, but I refuse to give the boat away, no hurry I'll wait for another season.
The brokers tell me the only boats they are selling are repossed Bank owned boats, & they are selling them for 1/2 or 1/3 of their value. Other brokers tell me they are selling boats to overseas buyers (Europe, etc.) but that might be a line of BS as I don't see many boats moving on the market. Better times are coming I hope.

Last edited:

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I honestly dont think that gas is the biggest factor here. Sure its a factor, thats a given. However, I believe that most of us here are dedicated to the sport enough that the extra pinch at the pump wont keep us from enjoying our hobby. Now this may not be a large enough fanbase to support current growth, its pretty obvoius that anyone buying a new boat has a certain love for the sport.

What I think has played the bigest role in the decline (especially around here)is far beyound our control. The weather has been terrible for boating all year. Im a die hard and even I was unable to get out half as much as last year. I think the weather sets the stage for boaters, if we are never given that summer feeling our mindset cant get past the winter blues. We needed a good sunny start to kick off the season. Unfortunately we never got it and in turn were never given the drive we normally are.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I know several guys that bought and sold boats this summer. Lots of guys looking to down size or move up on the backs of someone elses problems.

The biggest thing I see in the used market is that people want why too much money for their boats. Boats price right are selling.

CATransplant

Admiral

In much of the country, the boating season is just about over. That makes this a time when not many people are thinking about buying boats. Lots of boats come on the market around now, though, since folks who were getting the last season out of their old garbage scow are trying to dump it on some unsuspecting buyer. They'll get a new one once they sell the junker.

Lots of boats for sale at the end of the season. Buyers? Not so many.

That said, it's a great time to be looking for a boat for next season.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

one thing i noticed early this spring and summer on craigs list was the number of ads like " will trade my 115hp for your 70HP" or "will trade my 22ft whatever for your 16ft". i don't know how long it would take to make up a $3-4000 hit in gas price differance but i agree gas price was in everyone's mind set. and even with prices going down i don't think most people beleive that they will stay down so investing is something that is going to need 50-100 gallons of gas for a weekend will be a slow seller. and with today's new cars towing ratings you need to go down to about a 1200# rig. i think the recreation industry is unfortunatly going to have to hunker down and weather a hurricane of bad ecconomy for a while. and those that built their businesses behind the seawall with sound business practices will survive and those that built outside the wall based on easy credit won't survive.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it depends on the boat for sale. Around here fishing boats with 4-stroke outboards are doing okay, especially multi-specie tinnys that can double as pleasure craft. But boats that are just pleasure craft with large I-O motors aren't fairing so well.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

The NW didn't get hit as bad as the rest of the country as far as the economy is concerned. Boats are selling like hot cakes up here. Each time a "good" deal comes on the market, I call the next day and the boat has already sold. I will tell you that there are many ski boats for sale in the NW. I'm looking for a fishing/pleasure boat myself.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

The biggest thing I see in the used market is that people want why too much money for their boats. Boats price right are selling.

I certainly agree with you here. I looked for six months everyday on craigslist and has scoured over thousands of ads. Some of these boats are extremely way over priced. I don't think many owners has gone out to a dealer and looked at what new boats are selling for. Worth is in eye of the beholder, I guess...