Aquariums

SoulWinner

Commander
Anyone else have an aqarium? I have a little 10 gallon one, and I am concerned. I have Tiger Barbs and soem big orange Tatras, and I think they are racist. The Tiger Barbs all hang together in a little school, and the Tetras are self segregated as well. I used to enjoy looking at my aquarium, but now the blatent utter racist activities of my little fish make me view them all now as bait for large mouth bass. That makes me feel racist against my poor little misguided fish!! What should I do?!?!

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Aquariums

Must be following you around tonight SW<br />Tiger Barbs AKA Fin Nippers! Know them well. Were my wifes favorite fish! They slowly killed/ate every fish we put in the tank. Grrr :mad: <br /><br />Don't know anything about Tatras. If they are big enough and don't get isolated alone by the pack of fin nippers they should be ok ;) <br /><br />This is what I was told SW and I'm not a expert nor do I want to be. When you have Tiger Barbs in a community tank don't put in fish the same size as them or smaller because they are very aggressive by nature. We ofcourse were told that after MrsLink bought them.<br /><br />They arn't being racist SW. Each group is trying to stay alive in a small area. <br /><br />Because of our aqarium experience with the Tiger Barbs I coin this phrase:<br /><br />"The Fish with the Most Fins WINS!"<br /><br />Mabe someone else will know a lot more than I do about this.<br /><br />Link

DoctorCAD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why are animals allowed to act like that, but people aren't?<br />One of my three cats had an accident, came home with a cast on a leg, the other two attacked it. But people can't treat the disabled any different. Why?<br /><br /><br />There are no animal lawyers or lawmakers imposing morality on them, that's why.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

The kids have a 10 gallon tank too. The tetras are schooling fish.They recommend at least 3 so they have company & then you'll have at least 2 if (when) one dies. Even tetras will only school w/ their own type.<br />Don't know about the others.<br />We also have an algie eater that was about 2" long when we got it, but is now a good 7" long.<br />Nobody bothers him.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

SW, your fish are not "racist" and neither are you; you're being "speciesist" which, as far as I know, isn't covered by any anti-discrimination legislation (unless of course you're talkin bout endangered species).<br /><br /> :)

gaugeguy

Captain

Tiger barbs should be wearing gang colors cause they are a bunch of thugs...they look cool though ;)

ndemge

Commander

I'm in the process of building a 160 gal tank.<br /><br />1/3 aquairum, 2/3 terrarium. <br /><br />4 Box turtles will live there, and have a ramp to get into the water, they like water, and that's where they do their 'business'. The water will be highly filtered, and have fish in with it.<br /><br />Have everything but the front glass on it now, still have a lot of work to do to get those turtles out of their little home now.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey ndemge would you mind posting or emailing some pics of your setup I have thought about it several times and would like to see. :) thanks. formula1974@yahoo.com if you cant post here

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah we started with a 10 gal tank from walmart with 3 oscars in it. The kids found the stash of chemicals and food and dumped them all in 1 fish survived. We saved him and got 2 more and cleaned the tank. The kids found the chemicals in our new hiding spot and did it again. 2 died that same one lived. After that the tank becamse my wife and mine. that one oscar would kill anything else that we put in the tank and quickly outgrew the 10 gal. we bought a 75 gal and he is happy as can be. I will get him 10 feeders every now and then and they are gone by morning. he started as a 1 and a half inch walmart fish and now hes going on 8 inchs.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

noel, the trick is to have a way for climbing land<br />critters to be able to get outa water but still not<br />have it effect water flow... just need to keep the<br />"land" above water level but still accesible.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Sw, just throw some money at it, the problem will surely go away. Perhaps a larger tank and updated aquarium decorations will convince them to get along. Create some community-outreach programs for fish so they can learn about their cultural differences. I think a "Tiger Barbs History Month" will go a long way to alleviate the problems. <br /><br />With enough money thrown at the problem, they will certainly learn to get along. :D

ndemge

Commander

The plan is to have a hump in the middle of the tank,,, basically a boat ramp to get into the water, then another couple inches of inclined land, and then drop back down about a foot on the left.<br /><br />The "boat ramp" is a piece of lexan, coated with silicone, then topped with sand before it dries.<br /><br /><br />..I'll get some pics up eventually.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Nice Oscar Formula.<br /><br />We have a ten gal setup for my kids with cheapo goldfish in it......and a traditional "catfish"..Reason we set this tank up years ago was to teach our toddler daughter about death. Now both kids know if a fish dies it goes to heaven. And our kids now are not freaked when people or otherwise pass on.<br /><br />Hey SW, is the racist thing in your opening post a troll? I had black mollies in a tank some time ago along with albino cats and all was well....go figure!!..LOL...

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 55 gallon setup with 2 full grown red bellied pirahnas. They are about 10-12 inches each. They go through 5 dozen goldfish in about 3 hours.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 75 gallon with african cichleds and a 55 with a turtle and a bunch of tiger barbs( who survived a nasty bout of fungus) Barbs are tough and hardy.I sugest you get a bigger tank as well. The bigger the easier to keep the water quality up to par.

FSHKPR

Ensign

yep i agree a bigger tank would be better. also the bigger you go the easier it is to keep clean. i have a 125 with south american chiclids. a 14 inch black belt chiclid. aabout a 6 inch green terror, 7 inch oscar, and 3 gold severums about 5 or 6 inches, oh and the mandatory 10 inch pleco. these guys all mostly eat pellet food altho once a week i fill em up on night crawlers.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I had a pleco about 20 inches long until I got my pirahna's. It's the only fish I've ever had that didn't get totally eaten by the pirahnas. They only killed him and left his carcass on the bottom of the tank. I was pretty pissed because at the time, the pirahnas were only about 3-4 inches and I was told that they wouldn't mess with it since it was so much bigger than them. The thing was HUGE!

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Salt water easy to maintain? Between monitoring the ph of the water, salt content and watching for unwanted growth and other fun stuff that can happen, no thanks. Salt tanks can be gorgeous, but the amount of upkeep and money needed for them is beyond reasonable.<br /><br />I have a 55 gallon at the moment, along with a couple of 10 gallons in a couple of the kids' rooms. Unfortunately, I got some bad fish at a local pet store and they pretty much killed my main tank. Did everything I could to save them, but couldn't. I took a couple of the dead fish (and a near dead one) to several places trying to figure out what it was and no one could figure it out. Lost several 7" to 12" fish that I had for a couple of years.<br /><br />As far as the tiger barbs, I put those in the kid tanks. Very easy fish for them to take care of and their schooling is fun to watch.