AQ130D exhaust manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

For openers, just shoot me for ever buying a boat with a Volvo engine.
I've been watching my exhaust manifold for the last 2 seasons and know it really needs replacing. I really don't want to push it another season. I've been searching high and low for a new manifold kit for this thing and it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, in a coal mine.

I live in Adelaide, Australia. There is only one Volvo dealer in Adelaide and I refuse to buy anything from there. I'm tired of being ripped off. I'm not fussy to buy anywhere in Australia or worldwide for that matter, I just can't find one of these things at a reasonable price.

Can anybody at all, recommend a Volvo Penta Dealer in Australia that would have a manifold package for an AQ130? The 115 and 130 are much harder to find parts for than any other in the AQ series.

I've seen second hand ones, but they really don't look much better than mine. I've seen plenty of new ones in the US at half the price but then the postage is as much again making it no more viable. I need the whole package: Manifold, elbow, end cap, manifold gasket, outlet rubber boot and clamps. About the only thing I could get away with reusing is the bolt kit.

Or at the very least, can someone tell me where I can find the cheapest bottle of bourbon so I can start up drinking again...At least I'll get some satisfaction out of that! Or maybe you prefer to sell me your wife. I'm sure even one of those is cheaper to keep than a Volvo engine.

Thanks all.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AQ130D exhaust manifold

With all due respect, I can't in all good conscience recommend cheap bourbon. I'm thinking that if I'm going to have a hangover, would at least like to enjoy the booze at the beginning! :D

Seriously though, I understand the frustration with working with an engine that hasn't been produced for 35 years and was discontinued back then because it was considered old technology. Any Volvo dealers I've talked to won't support these older engines. It appears that it's just not worth their while and I would suspect the same thing in Oz.

We all know that buying a used consumable item is a risk. I can only suggest looking for an exhaust manifold used in fresh water and ask the seller to please inspect it well. For the exhaust hose, measure the ID and look online for sellers. It's been sevral years since I had to do that but I was able to find a 2 foot section at a reasonable price.

The other option is to look for a replacement engine in the overhead cam variety. Parts are a little easier to come by but they're still discontinued models. I think it's just the challenge of owning an older boat. You could allways sell that boat and buy something with a newer engine. But then again, you won't have a reason to drink ;).

trophy boat

Seaman Apprentice

With all due respect, I can't in all good conscience recommend cheap bourbon. I'm thinking that if I'm going to have a hangover, would at least like to enjoy the booze at the beginning! :D

Seriously though, I understand the frustration with working with an engine that hasn't been produced for 35 years and was discontinued back then because it was considered old technology. Any Volvo dealers I've talked to won't support these older engines. It appears that it's just not worth their while and I would suspect the same thing in Oz.

We all know that buying a used consumable item is a risk. I can only suggest looking for an exhaust manifold used in fresh water and ask the seller to please inspect it well. For the exhaust hose, measure the ID and look online for sellers. It's been sevral years since I had to do that but I was able to find a 2 foot section at a reasonable price.

The other option is to look for a replacement engine in the overhead cam variety. Parts are a little easier to come by but they're still discontinued models. I think it's just the challenge of owning an older boat. You could allways sell that boat and buy something with a newer engine. But then again, you won't have a reason to drink ;).

Nonsense...

The Volvo 4 cylinder is a fantastic engine and all parts are available online. Also, a lot of parts can be crossed over from automotive and they are still manufactured.

That said, an exhaust manifold is very heavy and shipping even within the US isn't cheap. The best one I found is the Osco. When you shop around prices are very variable. If no suppliers are willing to ship to where you are you might need a US buddy to send it on. But it will be pricey.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

My main point is that you'll need to be creative as many Volvo Penta dealers don't stock parts for the older engines and many won't work on them either. Personal opinions aside, they did quit making the AQ130 more than 35 years ago. Doesn't matter if you think they're better than the OHC engines or not.

trophy boat

Seaman Apprentice

I actually mis spoke I think. Is the AQ130 the pushrod engine? I have a AQ131 which is the OHC and that is what I was thinking he had.

Thanks guys,

PiratePast40 is right. They are an old engine and haven't been produced for many, many moons. I think of a manifold as just another mass produced item and in this case they were once for this engine. The older they get after production stops, the harder to find and the more it cost when you do find one. I'm of the understanding that this manifold has an average life time of around ten years. I would assume similar life for any manifold on any marine engine unless stainless, but they are really, really big bucks and custom. That also tells me that this engine would be on its third, perhaps forth one as it is.

But then trophy boat is also backing up some good answer. Although an old engine, I'm learning that they are actually a very, very good engine....Strong and reliable with a good track record. This one has been so far. I can't fault it's reliabilty in the 2 seasons I've been using it. It's taken me everywhere I've asked it to and never played up other than being a bit touchy in the twin carb dept. The linkage set up gets a bit sticky at times if not used for a while, but a good dose of WD40 on the mechanical arms and linkage fixes that everytime. And like any "Spark and Fuel" engine with multiple carbs, it's critical they be kept timed and tuned.

And yes, it's a pushrod engine. The AQ series came out in quite a few HP sizes, but only two of them came out with pushrods...The 115 and the 130 that use the same manifold, but a different manifold to the OHC variants in the AQ series. (I'm happy to stand corrected on that one also).

And yes the manifolds are still available, but a bugger to find at a price that sounds tasty. At the end of the day, I'll bite the bullet and buy one becasue I now beleive in the engine with it's zero fault score so far. I grew up with simple spark and fuel engines and would have nothing else in a boat. Short of putting a piston out the side of the block, only two things can ever go wrong them....Spark or fuel...That feels comfortably trusting to me. With a tool box and host of spare parts caried at all times, I can fix just about anything on it at sea to get home again.

And I"m on the look out for that exhaust boot too. It looks to me like it should come in a length that can be purcahed and cut to size. It's only a rubber, heat proof hose for crying out loud. The one on it certainly isn't original.

Thanks again.

I'm now working on a bottle of Jim Beam.

Attachments

• Image0077.jpg
    Image0077.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

For the exhaust hose, I used google to find a piece with the correct inside diameter. Afraid I don't have the link any more but I did finally find some generic exhaust hose on ebay that fits. Another thing to be aware of on these engines is that with improper fuel or timing, the heads can crack around the valve seats.

After installing the new manifold, you may have a difficult time sealing the cooling water pipes. I bought the full cooling system seal ring kit. I then carefull checked alignment on each one, bending to fit where necessary. After they were in place, I used Permatex red RTV on the top of all of them and let it cure for a few days before starting it up again. That should cut down on the number of leakers you'll need to go after.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to find a friend that is traveling over to the US to carry one back for you! It will fit in the overhead bin just fine!!!

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat is a 78, and the manifolds and risers were stamped Barr Marine. I don't know if they are the originals, but my local friendly(but pricey) boat shoppe had them on the shelf-gaskets and bolts included. I saw a complete set of risers, manifolds, and gaskets(for mine) listed on e-Bay made by Osco. You might want to Google them and see what you come up with. Maybe a place you want to deal with can get them.

My boat is a 78, and the manifolds and risers were stamped Barr Marine. I don't know if they are the originals, but my local friendly(but pricey) boat shoppe had them on the shelf-gaskets and bolts included. I saw a complete set of risers, manifolds, and gaskets(for mine) listed on e-Bay made by Osco. You might want to Google them and see what you come up with. Maybe a place you want to deal with can get them.

Thanks Steve.
If you just happen to be wandering into that local friendly(but pricey) boat shoppe one day soon, I'd be interested in finding out what he does have.
He can email me if he wishes with some details and prices. stefanie7@iprimus.com.au
Thanks.

Dean Adel

Recruit

Thanks guys,

PiratePast40 is right. They are an old engine and haven't been produced for many, many moons. I think of a manifold as just another mass produced item and in this case they were once for this engine. The older they get after production stops, the harder to find and the more it cost when you do find one. I'm of the understanding that this manifold has an average life time of around ten years. I would assume similar life for any manifold on any marine engine unless stainless, but they are really, really big bucks and custom. That also tells me that this engine would be on its third, perhaps forth one as it is.

But then trophy boat is also backing up some good answer. Although an old engine, I'm learning that they are actually a very, very good engine....Strong and reliable with a good track record. This one has been so far. I can't fault it's reliabilty in the 2 seasons I've been using it. It's taken me everywhere I've asked it to and never played up other than being a bit touchy in the twin carb dept. The linkage set up gets a bit sticky at times if not used for a while, but a good dose of WD40 on the mechanical arms and linkage fixes that everytime. And like any "Spark and Fuel" engine with multiple carbs, it's critical they be kept timed and tuned.

And yes, it's a pushrod engine. The AQ series came out in quite a few HP sizes, but only two of them came out with pushrods...The 115 and the 130 that use the same manifold, but a different manifold to the OHC variants in the AQ series. (I'm happy to stand corrected on that one also).

And yes the manifolds are still available, but a bugger to find at a price that sounds tasty. At the end of the day, I'll bite the bullet and buy one becasue I now beleive in the engine with it's zero fault score so far. I grew up with simple spark and fuel engines and would have nothing else in a boat. Short of putting a piston out the side of the block, only two things can ever go wrong them....Spark or fuel...That feels comfortably trusting to me. With a tool box and host of spare parts caried at all times, I can fix just about anything on it at sea to get home again.

And I"m on the look out for that exhaust boot too. It looks to me like it should come in a length that can be purcahed and cut to size. It's only a rubber, heat proof hose for crying out loud. The one on it certainly isn't original.

Thanks again.

I'm now working on a bottle of Jim Beam.
Hi members, anyone looking for a substitute exhaust hose, I'm using with great success is silica turbo hose it comes in 2 1/2 inch. Which is correct size I've had mine on for 6 years and still going strong. Volvo wanted $130 for a 6 inch piece and brought a more length for $50. I'm also looking for an exhaust manifold. The only secondhand ones are on 2040 parts in the US but still waiting to find out if they deliver to AUS. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.