AQ130C/250 general questions

blubing

Cadet
Hi All,
I am contemplating purchasing a boat that has an AQ130C/250 drive. It's on a 1969 boat. I'm wondering about parts availability and general "gottchas" or blessings with this set up. It runs and shifts but I'm assuming bellows, water pump and associated routine parts should be replaced along with a tune up. Also curious about more serious upkeep, such as engine and outdrive parts, seals, gaskets, shift and drive cables, etc.

Thanks!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AQ130C/250 general questions

Basically, it's an old boat and an old engine/outdrive configuration. Deck, transom, and stringers are subject to rot as in any boat and at that age, you will really need to inspect them to find out what you have. If it's rotted, it doesn't matter how old or new the boat is, it has to be replaced and the cost is about the same. If you fix it up, you still have an old boat. As for the engine, older technology but really nothing patently wrong with it. Tuneup parts and gaskets are still available for the engine but major stuff like heads will need a little more effort to obtain. The outdrive is getting up in age also. With parts sometimes a challenge to obtain. You'll find it difficult to find mechanics still around who are competent to work on these. Not that they're rocket science, just have been discontinued so long that people have moved on to more modern stuff.

My opinion is that they're great if everything is allright (like any other boat) but they will require you to do a majority of the maintenance yourself and you'll find the parts sometimes more expensive and hard to find that for a newer boat. If you put money into it (like any other boat) it'll still only be worth what an old boat is worth. If you really like the boat and are willing to spend the time on it, by all means go ahead. Boat restoration can be rewarding if you have the patience and time. But if you're looking for something to just get in the water and go, a newer may be the better way to go.

blubing

Cadet

Well, I realize the perils of an old boat. My question here centers on the engine and outdrive. Can that outdrive be swapped with a newer version like Mercruiser pre-alpha to alpha?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

No.

Possibly swap with another Volvo AQ270, 275, or 280.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

AQ 250/270/280 share most components,250 is only one with smaller diameter upper unit bearing so you will need intermediate housing,in simply words there are many parts available ,especially on e-bay.

blubing

Cadet

Great. Well this is looking up. My understanding is that the bellows replacement on the Volvo Penta is not quite the nightmare as it's been described with Mercruiser. Any experience with that?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After the first time it will take you about a half an hour, to change the bellows and the gear lube. No bloody knuckles. Just watch for the shims when you remove the upper gear box.

Removing top box 2.jpg