AQ130 engine angle

louiss3000

Cadet
I thought I had gotten over my boat phase many years ago (1982), but when I saw this sad puppy in the backyard, I couldn't resist.

First, no Internet in '82. I've learned more on these forums in the past weeks than I knew in '82. This is a great place.

The boat is a 1973 24 foot 'Sea View Skiff', per the hull number, with twin Volvo Penta AQ130 / 270s. Basically the hull is sound, built like a tank, and the engines seem OK so far.

There is one thing that is uncomfortable to me though, the angle of the engines. They seem very much 'downhill' (front low) to me. I was thinking parallel to the floor should be right, but they are quite low.

Since this engine floats, hanging off the transom shield, there are no mounts to check / adjust. The transom appears soild, there is some flex if I stand on the outdrive, but I'd expect that. The transom is maybe 10 degrees, if that.

I would think that different transom plates were available for different transom angles in various makes of boats? I have searched, but find nothing on them. Surely it's not a one size fits all.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, LS

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ130 engine angle

Transom angle will affect the engine angle. Normal transom angle is 12? or 13? if your tansom is 10? or less, the engine will be lower in the front.
You can check the alignment of the engine to make sure its OK. Here is a thread where I explained how to check the alignment. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=303248
go to reply #7.
It's also possible the rubber foot that goes into the flywheel cover from the transom shield may have failed. That is what supports the engine.
I would think that different transom plates were available for different transom angles in various makes of boats? I have searched, but find nothing on them. Surely it's not a one size fits all.

Nope, one size fits all transom angles. Boat manufacturers know that and design accordingly. But if the boat was converted from a straight inboard to an outdrive, that could be the problem.

louiss3000

Cadet

Thanks, Don. Looking at the link you provided, I see the picture in post 7, with references to:

Just look at your transom shield and engine bellhousing, you will see the 3 alignment bosses.

Where's the third boss? 6 o'clock maybe?

In post 6, and others I see:

Very easy, just adjust your engine until the gaps are within spec.

Adjust how? Your original post says:

It's also possible the rubber foot that goes into the flywheel cover from the transom shield may have failed. That is what supports the engine.

Can you elaborate? Part number? Exploded diagram?

I know I'm asking alot, but I'm a bit stumped. Sorry for the confusion.

LS

louiss3000

Cadet

Don,

I think I have found what you refer to, bottom of the flywheel housing, between it and the transom plate, listed as "Rubber cushion" Volvo part 804210.

I wonder if there is a high failure rate here, as both engines have this odd angle. At least I'll be able to tell now with the help of the pictures from your post. It appears the the gap between the bellhousing / transom plate should be equal all around.

I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
LS

Don S

Yes, the 3 alignment tabs on the transom shield and the 3 on the flywheel housing all should have the same gap, or roughly the same.
Since you have twin engine, check the angle of the transom. You can do it with a standard framing square. Put the inside long edge along the keel and the short end should just touch the transom. Then look at the measurement of the gap on the lower portion of the square. 1/4" is equal to 1? of transom angle.

louiss3000

Cadet

Don,

the alignment bosses in the pics do not seem to be present on my installation, but looking at the 'gap' between the flywheel housing and the transom plate, it narrows very noticeably at the bottom looking from the side. Jacking the front of the engine until that gap is equal, about 3 inches, puts the engines at a more appropriate angle, just about parallel to the floor.

Seems like the no-front-mount floating engine design may not have been the best approach. I can also see deformation in the transom from that weight hanging there for 37 years. Jacking both engines helps that aspect as well.

I'm thinking fabricating front mounts wouldn't be a bad idea? Thoughts?

Looks like more fun to come. Again thanks for steering me in the right direction...

LS

Brian Kiwi

Recruit

Don,

the alignment bosses in the pics do not seem to be present on my installation, but looking at the 'gap' between the flywheel housing and the transom plate, it narrows very noticeably at the bottom looking from the side. Jacking the front of the engine until that gap is equal, about 3 inches, puts the engines at a more appropriate angle, just about parallel to the floor.

Seems like the no-front-mount floating engine design may not have been the best approach. I can also see deformation in the transom from that weight hanging there for 37 years. Jacking both engines helps that aspect as well.

I'm thinking fabricating front mounts wouldn't be a bad idea? Thoughts?

Looks like more fun to come. Again thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Hello,I see this Message is a bit old now.Im new to this forum thingy and may have missed something here. Any way Ive always looked at my Volvo AQ 130C in an early model 18'6"Seanymph and it hangs down in the front too. Im going to lift it up so the alignment marks measure up the same too.Im going to put a set of front engine mounts on it to lift it so its not relying on that rubber mount thats under the Bellhousing.Just wondering what you ended up doing and how it worked out for you .please.

Don S

Hello,I see this Message is a bit old now.Im new to this forum thingy and may have missed something here.

Welcome to iboats Brian, the best thing you can do for yourself if you want answers to your question, is to start a new thread with your problem. Posting at the end of someone else's question almost guarantees that many will not see your question, only the original posters question.