aq115 oil and water mixing

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
got a Volvo Penta aq115 with aq100 leg. just bought it month ago. I noticed the oil was slightly milky so I changed it. the oil stayed good for one run but it turned a bit milky again. 2 more oil changes and the result is the same....water is slowly getting into oil.
compression is good and the engine idles nicely. oil level doesn't rise significantly when running it. milkiness takes a few hours of running to return.
I'm suspecting the oil cooler but what other things could it be? before pressure testing the block, is there some way I can verify that the oil cooler is the issue.
TIA

dubs283

Vice Admiral
got a Volvo Penta aq115 with aq100 leg. just bought it month ago. I noticed the oil was slightly milky so I changed it. the oil stayed good for one run but it turned a bit milky again. 2 more oil changes and the result is the same....water is slowly getting into oil.
compression is good and the engine idles nicely. oil level doesn't rise significantly when running it. milkiness takes a few hours of running to return.
I'm suspecting the oil cooler but what other things could it be? before pressure testing the block, is there some way I can verify that the oil cooler is the issue.
TIA
You can bypass the cooler, won't hurt for temporary testing purposes. Other culprits could be cracked block or head, possible head gasket failure

kenny nunez

Captain
Make sure that someone did not block off the weep hole on the water pump, if the seals in the pump leak I have seen that happen when someone thinks that is the cure. It lets water get into the timing cover.

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
You can bypass the cooler, won't hurt for temporary testing purposes. Other culprits could be cracked block or head, possible head gasket failure
ok ..not sure how I'd bypass the cooler though since the oil filter goes through it. is it simply replacing the filter with some sort of plug? I'd be concerned about overheating too. any ideas?

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
Make sure that someone did not block off the weep hole on the water pump, if the seals in the pump leak I have seen that happen when someone thinks that is the cure. It lets water get into the timing cover.
ok thanks....I am assuming you're referring to the impeller housing in the front of the engine? I'll check for that tonight

dubs283

Vice Admiral
ok ..not sure how I'd bypass the cooler though since the oil filter goes through it. is it simply replacing the filter with some sort of plug? I'd be concerned about overheating too. any ideas?
No, you bypass the water/coolant side of the cooler, not the oil. Couple barb fittings and proper length of hose ought to do it