approximate weight of boat

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good Morning,<br /><br />It is time for me to buy a new car and to make sure I can tow my boat with it. My boat is a 16' closed bow fiberglass runabout (Glassmaster) with a Mercruiser 110 HP, 4 cyl. IO and it will have two back to back seats and about 20 gallons of fuel. The trailer is a simple single axle steel unit, no brakes, and is rollers not bumpers<br /><br />Does anyone have something similar that they know the weight of?<br /><br />I am hoping to hear that it is under 2000 lbs!<br /><br />Cheers<br />Ethan

Bondo

Staff member
Re: approximate weight of boat

2200lbs..............<br /><br />Go to a Truck Stop or Gravel Quarry,+ Have It Weighed.................

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Egg - the weight of your boat will be exactly whatever you get for a capacity + 100. <br /><br />There are scales at the truck stop down the road from me...if ya want...you can borrow my truck to get it there.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Capacity + 100?? I haven't weighed 100 lbs since I was like 10!! :) <br /><br />Thanks for the offer, I will probably take you up on it once I get the trailer legal (ish) enough to tow it there<br /><br />I heard 4-8 more inches tonight. How can I make floor templates with all this white stuff??! :)

Realgun

Commander

stomp the edges of the snow even with the floor and measure carefully. :) <br /><br />Ok better yet move it into a warm garage if you can. But don't cut it there as the dust will be everywhere! <br /><br />Best thing to do is get it weighed though. TThe reason is after you add gas and stuff it actually grows by 1000 lbs! I took mine right after the floor and fuel tank were remove and got 1460 lbs. I really wonder what it weighs now after all the stuff is put back in and all the toys to make it safe and fun are added to get to the lake! Max cap for my truck is 7700 Lbs!<br /><br />I got 0 inches here in fact it gonna be warm enough to foam and epoxy. 67 predicted usually about 4 higher due to me being in a warmer spot than official reading. Albuquerque is wierd we can be warm and dry and across the river near the mountain can be raining and cold. :D

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 18 ft baja with outboard on trailer before rebuild 2660 pounds sure hope a lot of that was water. will know soon

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most any FWD with a v6 should be able to handle a boat that size. I grew up with an '83 glassmaster with a 115 O/B. I'm sure the I/O weighs more than the O/B, but we used about everything to pull that boat and always got by.<br /><br />In a crunch we once used a subaru brat pick up, with a 73 hp/94 ft-lb 1.8L. Obviously it wasn't ideal, but it worked. <br />I drove a '91 grand prix for a while that did well, except for the rear suspension sagging pretty bad.<br /><br />My current boat is a 19' i/o with a 4.3L. I pull it with a Mitsu Montero 4x4 with a 177hp 3.0L and it does wonderfully.<br />However, one of the vehicles we pull it with a LOT is an '87 Toyota 4x4 with a 120hp 2.2L and manual trans. It does a surprisingly good job - 55-60 is about average on the (relatively flat) highway and it does GREAT on the ramp in low range 2wd. Drop the clutch and it pulls it out like a farm tractor.<br /><br />A lot of people will have you driving a 4x4 V8 for anything more than an 8' utility trailer. With a little care and common sense that's just not necessary.

thejeepster02

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just remimber....just because it can pull it..dosnt mean it can stop it....<br /><br />thats more the reason people want a heaver truck.<br />2000lbs of boat pushing you while your trying to stop fast.

amidaeus

Seaman

Go to nada.com and see if your boat is listed. They give a net weight (of course this is before any mods or waterlogging).

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I'd bet it's close to or a little over 2,000 lbs. Definitely buy a car/truck with a tow rating higher than 2,000. You do NOT want to have it maxed out, unless you're just running it back & forth a few miles at a time. Any time on the interstate will kill your car quickly if you're running near your max tow capacity. Trans gets hot, engine gets hot, brakes can't handle the weight. You really need to overshoot.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by the Jeepster:<br /> Just remimber....just because it can pull it..dosnt mean it can stop it....<br /><br />thats more the reason people want a heaver truck.<br />2000lbs of boat pushing you while your trying to stop fast.
Like I said - a little care and common sense.<br />Obviously, you don't want to be tailgating someone at 60 when you're pulling a 2000 lb boat with a 3000 lb car, or a 6000 lb SUV for that matter.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wonder if I can get a good deal on that car that was in Will's video there (and before anyone asks, no that wasn't me driving in the video). But I am sure Will has embarrassing videos of pictures of me somewhere (we have been friends since high school in case anyone didn't catch on)