Anything Goes in Texas Algebra Class

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
This story was on the local news Wednesday. An algebra teacher in a McKinney, Texas school told her advanced placement class that since they're advanced students she would just let them engage in a self study program. <br /><br />They interviewed two of the students & one parent. The kids just goofed off every day the first half of the year - basically did whatever they wanted during class. Teacher told them to write down whatever grade they thought they deserved & hand it in. That's what they got for each of the 1st two 6-week grading periods, but then she failed every single one of them in the third six weeks. <br /><br />The students thought they hit the jackpot, but were the parents pissed or what!<br /><br />School officials removed the teacher pending investigation & will dismiss her if the allegations prove true. They're also considering whether to provide private tutoring for all the kids so they can catch up.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Anything Goes in Texas Algebra Class

Those that can DO, Those that can't TEACH.

Twidget

Commander

But what if they cant DO, or TEACH? :confused: :)

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Well then they apparently work in McKinney, Texas.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Twidget:<br /> But what if they cant DO, or TEACH? :confused: :)
Then they join a labor Union and screw over ever company they work for and every person they work with.. just to have the Union reps (who fall into the same catagory) protect them as VALUED employees..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those who can, do. <br />Those who can't do teach. <br />Those who can't teach sell. <br />Those who can't sell manage.<br />Those who can't manage run for public office.<br /><br />Those who can't do any of the above, troll. :)

rogerwa

Commander

Hold on.. I don't necessarily say the teacher is right, but there is a life lesson here. You don't get anything for free and if you try to take it for free it will eventually come back to bite you in the butt.<br /><br />If the teacher was explicit on how the 'honor' system worked, then the studuents got what they had coming.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Those who can, do. <br />Those who can't do teach. <br />Those who can't teach sell. <br />Those who can't sell manage.<br />Those who can't manage run for public office.<br /><br />Those who can't do any of the above, troll. :)
I don't teach, sell, manage, or run for public office...I sure as heck hope I can DO!!!!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by rogerwa:<br /> Hold on.. I don't necessarily say the teacher is right, but there is a life lesson here. You don't get anything for free and if you try to take it for free it will eventually come back to bite you in the butt.<br /><br />If the teacher was explicit on how the 'honor' system worked, then the studuents got what they had coming.
ya gotta point, roger, maybe if they're high school seniors, but I neglected to say they were sophomores, 15 or 16 years old. That's just too much to expect from children that age, their brains haven't developed enough yet to take that kind of responsibility.<br /><br /><br />p.s. "Those who can't teach, teach gym." Jack Black in School of Rock

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Anybody notice that nobody complained until the F's rolled in? I mean it's January, school started in September. All was good for the first two semesters..... now they want to complain???

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

[ EDIT ]<br />I just know your post flaming unions was all in fun, right [EDIT: out of respect due to all Iboats members I have removed commentary I posted that may be perceived as not appropriate]<br /><br />I be so sick of knobs beating on blue collar organized labor I see RED. Why don't ya beat on teachers unions, the lawyers Bar Association, the AMA (physicians union dude), the actors guild, keeerist, all professional groups that organize for like minded reasons and collective representation!! And knob radio talkers like Belling that beat the unions up even though Belling works under the guidelines of a contract he has with Clear Channel. Seems to me an individual legally binding contract with an employer is of no distinct difference than a like contract many folks (a union local) have with their employer. HA!!!<br /><br />sorry for the rant..am so sick of the union bashing and blaming same for loss of US jobs. I guess that all the white collar tech jobs that are in the pacific rim due to outsourcing must have been union jobs too hey!!!!!!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

oh yea, I am a proud member of PACE Local 7-0209. thank you so much.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

PJC-- you want to talk about it.. I'll start a thread.<br /><br /> Don't contort what I said or take it out of context. <br /><br />BTW .. I bled on my blue collar for a number of years .. same or better money and benefited non-union years with monies as dues, retirement and vacation (to name a few) going right to me with-out someone elses fingers on it while shuffling it in "your best intrest".. oh yea .. there ya go .. NO INTRE$T.<br /><br />so careful ..you'll get no rise from me. The union establishment(s) speak for themselves.. I've added nothing to contort nor have I gained others perspectives..<br /><br />Like I stated .. (re-read post above)

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> <br />1:Those who can, do. <br />2:Those who can't do teach. <br />3:Those who can't teach sell. <br />4:Those who can't sell manage.<br />5:Those who can't manage run for public office.<br />6:Those who can't do any of the above, troll. :)
Thats taking it to a new level JB! :) <br />Add another 6 steps and you will have another disaster called the 12 step program.<br /><br />Unions even today have their place. Behind closed doors sucking money from members. Nothing has changed since the 1920's. Its all about money and political power. <br />That is my take on it JB<br />If you can chnge my mind then please do<br />V/R Link

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Those who can, do. <br />Those who can't do teach. <br />Those who can't teach sell. <br />Those who can't sell manage.<br />Those who can't manage run for public office.<br /><br />Those who can't do any of the above, troll. :)
You a trip, JB . I'm rollin over here. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

BTW, I had a sixth grade teacher pull this jive on me back in the day. His name was Mr.Grissom. He was an old alchoholic from Mississippi. We knew this because he allways complained about "where he was raised", his constant ramblings about nothin in particular, frequent naps, and the bottle of Jack D he kept in his desk.<br />He told us at the beginning of the year, that he believed in teaching responsability before the "three 'R"s"...<br />So he gave us instructions on where to start and stop in the book, and would often leave the room for extended periods.<br />On Fridays, we would get our tests.<br />The first week,everyone failed. The second, about half failed. The third, NOBODY failed.<br />When he was in the room, you could hear a pin drop. He was a brutal bastich! He was a mean drunk, but he got results.

D

DJ

OMG. I'm in management and I sell. I never realized what a dirt bag I am.<br /><br />Maybe I'll run for office. Might as well go all the way. :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Lmao @ DJ ... you'll need a campaign mngr.. who's first on the list?<br /><br /> :D