Anyone use a 2017 kia Sorrento AWD/4wd high output engine?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Tow ratings are pretty relative.... and (technically) meaningless. They are based on the SAE J2807 testing procedures which includes things like towing on a hill, stress testing the cooling system... yadda yadda.
Exactly- I found when buying my Highlander the XLE model (5500# rated) vs LE model (1500# rated) has same drive train and brakes only differences are engine oil and trans coolers

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'd be more concerned with stopping than being able to tow the boat.

bigdee

Commander
Tow ratings are pretty relative.... and (technically) meaningless. They are based on the SAE J2807 testing procedures which includes things like towing on a hill, stress testing the cooling system... yadda yadda.

But if you are towing in cold weather on the prairies where it is flat like a pancake (just as example) then (technically) you have to ask how relevant that tow rating is to you. Speed is also a major component in safe and effective towing. What is unsafe for a given rig at 60mph, changes completely at 40 or 50

Not withstanding, tow ratings are completely different for the same equipment in different parts of the world. The (later model) Jeep Rubicon has a max tow rating in North America at 3500#. The very same vehicle in Australia has a rating of 4500# from the factory and 5500# with an upgraded hitch.

Now there is the law which does need to be respected, but at the end of the day tow ratings are just.... arbitrary ratings which may or may not mean a whole lot given your particular circumstance. One thing I will say about boats and smaller vehicles though.... at some point or another you are going to be on a boat ramp... and if you haven't got the weight and power, you may end up going for a swim.

For the record though.... I pull 5000# with a jeep Rubicon (rated 3500# in North America and 5500# in Australia) with no issues at all. Mind you I don't try and break any speed records either.

View attachment 353783
Very well said!!

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd be more concerned with stopping than being able to tow the boat.
Well, I'm not sure what the laws are where you are but here anything over 3000# needs it own brakes plus auto break away braking, so assuming your trailer brakes are in good order it's not really an issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well, I'm not sure what the laws are where you are but here anything over 3000# needs it own brakes plus auto break away braking, so assuming your trailer brakes are in good order it's not really an issue.
It's not an issue until it is.....

Trailer brakes are notoriously inefficient and under maintained.

Had a guy run a traffic light on me sometime back. I was in town. Couldn't have been going more that 30-35 mph. The tires on the trailer (~#4,200) broke loose (skidded) and pushed a V8 Cherokee (~#4,056) half way through the intersection.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's not an issue until it is.....

Trailer brakes are notoriously inefficient and under maintained.

Had a guy run a traffic light on me sometime back. I was in town. Couldn't have been going more that 30-35 mph. The tires on the trailer (~#4,200) broke loose (skidded) and pushed a V8 Cherokee (~#4,056) half way through the intersection.
I would suggest if the trailer tires broke loose then that is proof the brakes worked and had they not, the Cherokee probably would have been pushed all the way through the intersection instead of just 1/2 way.

Stopping distances are longer with trailers and that's a fact of life regardless to what you are using to tow with, and big vehicle or small, drivers need to take that into account. Granted heavier vehicles do stop shorter but depending on what accident you may be be trying to avoid, even the stopping distance of a large vehicle may not be enough in a given situation. Each situation is unique to its own. I live in Canada where we have lots of snow and ice for 6 to 7 months of the year and temps down to -45. Stopping distances are DRASTICALLY changed from Summer to Winter. As drivers, we need to take that into account even on simple trips to the grocery store.

Not withstanding, if the situation was to be replayed and analyzed, quite few others way to avoid would come to light.... faster brake reaction, slower approach to the intersection in consideration of some yahoo with no respect for the law... etc.

At the end of the day the equipment, what ever that equipment may be, is only as good as its operator, and the other part of that equation is that even the best operators have accidents because they have no control over other people's (crappy) driving habits.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Some people worry so much about potential problems they never leave the house....
images

bigdee

Commander
The primary concern of towing is the capability of the DRIVER. Too many times people become complacent just because they exceed the recommend ratings.

ahicks

Captain
The primary concern of towing is the capability of the DRIVER. Too many times people become complacent just because they exceed the recommend ratings.
Well said (within reason anyway).

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently own three boats, lightest being 15' Alumacraft which is not much over 1500lbs, a 22' aluminum cabin cruiser at closer to 3000 lbs, and a 27' yacht at closer to 6000 lbs. I know it's a little different but I own a 2011 Kia Sorento with the high output 6 cyl. The only one of the three I'd consider towing would be the 15'. Maybe a short, one time, low speed with my 3000 lbs.er. Even though it's close to 300 hp I don't believe the torque or gearing would be tow friendly. Brakes may be questionable on a long grade depending what your trailer has to help. Also visabilty would be poor.

If it was a one time, short, low speed tow I'd would maybe consider towing your boat. But I would not recommend it as your regular two rig.

This is coming from a guy that has six trailers on his property. Anything from four hoses to my daily work truck pulling 10000 lbs 5 days a week in the warm seasons. This is with 1 ton diesels not the kia. LOL

It's all good till it's not. Then you could be looking a high dollar transmission repairs, accident damage, or worse. I'm one of those overkill guys. Better safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently own three boats, lightest being 15' Alumacraft which is not much over 1500lbs, a 22' aluminum cabin cruiser at closer to 3000 lbs, and a 27' yacht at closer to 6000 lbs. I know it's a little different but I own a 2011 Kia Sorento with the high output 6 cyl. The only one of the three I'd consider towing would be the 15'. Maybe a short, one time, low speed with my 3000 lbs.er. Even though it's close to 300 hp I don't believe the torque or gearing would be tow friendly. Brakes may be questionable on a long grade depending what your trailer has to help. Also visabilty would be poor.

If it was a one time, short, low speed tow I'd would maybe consider towing your boat. But I would not recommend it as your regular two rig.

This is coming from a guy that has six trailers on his property. Anything from four hoses to my daily work truck pulling 10000 lbs 5 days a week in the warm seasons. This is with 1 ton diesels not the kia. LOL

It's all good till it's not. Then you could be looking a high dollar transmission repairs, accident damage, or worse. I'm one of those overkill guys. Better safe than sorry. Hope this helps.
I wouldn't call you an "overkill" guy. We each have our own level of comfort. Nothing wrong with that.