Anyone try the See Clearly Method for vision improvement?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Just wondering if their eye exercises actually work and what is involved, etc.

eeboater

Commander
Re: Anyone try the See Clearly Method for vision improvement?

I was listening to Dr. Dean Adell's radio show a couple months back. He said it is a load of malarky. He described it as a typical capitalist trying to make money on something illegitimate. Kind of like those CortiSlim commercials you are seeing and hearing all the time.<br /><br />He had a very reasonable & scientific explanation of why it wouldn't work, but I don't remember it. I only paid half attention since my eyesight is pretty good still.<br /><br />Sean

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Have lasik surgery done. Been wearing glasses since I was 12 and had the surgery done about 2 years ago and couldn't be happier with it. No more glasses or contact lens to worry about.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I second beezee on Lasik. Both of my daughters had it done and it has done wonders for them.<br /><br />However, as we age our eyeballs become less flexible and are not able to focus in the ranges they did when we were young. The older we get the less range they have.<br /><br />To drive and to read only a very few don't need corrective lenses, usually multiple lenses (bi- and tri-focals).<br /><br />At my age I usually need new prescriptions annually (like next week).

fireman57

Captain

I'm past the point of needing bifocals but am going to have to succumb soon. I thought about the Lasik surgery but it is still relatively new and I kinda want to see what happens to these eyes 5, 10, 15 years from now. Don't know if scar tissue could develop and ruin eyes, if surgery will be needed routinely as eyes change and then at some point they can't do it anymore or what. I only have this set and I'd like to use them until I am done with everything else.

salty87

Commander

corrective eye surgery has been around since the 80's, even 70's for the very first brave souls. i have a family friend who is now in his 60's and had his procedure done the old fashioned way....small scalpel incissions like the spokes of a wheel. he uses reading glasses to read and then all night as his eyes get tired. no issues with the procedure though.<br /><br />laser surgery has been performed for a long time for those with mildly bad eyes. more aggressive procedures for those with worse eyesight are becoming common now.<br /><br />i fall in the category for real bad eye sight. i've been waiting for that procedure to become more common and it has.<br /><br />i started a pre-tax medical expense account with my employer and am having the procedure done this year. i can't wait, i've had corrective lenses of some sort since i was 10...i'm 36 now.<br /><br />the worst part is that they don't want you wearing contacts for 2 weeks prior to the procedure, must wear glasses....my eyes are so bad that glasses give me a headache. i don't own any. so, i have to go buy some to get rid of them for good. gotta pay to play.<br /><br />unless you're near the legally blind point or have terrible astigmatism (sp), there's a procedure for you that they've been doing for years. you might want to check it out again.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

salty I am the same as you I wear -8.0 contacts in both eyes. I cant wear glasses, I just cant see even with a new prescription.<br /><br />I hope I can one day afford the lasic.<br /><br />I too have head about that See Clearly and I dont see how it could possibly work.<br /><br />Ken

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The eye training method should not be completely debunked.Ask any commercial airline pilot about it and they will say that they do train their eye muscles and it does help.Whether years of constant training is in any way comparable to this new commercial program is another question and i don't know the answer.

sangerwaker

Commander

I'm on the same boat as you Ken and Salty. I've had glasses since I was less than 1, contacts since I was 12. I'll be 36 in October. My prescription is nearly +17 in both eyes. I still wear cheater glasses when reading or doing computer stuff with the contacts.<br /><br />I've heard they are experimenting with the lasik up to 8, but normally it's for people in the lesser prescriptions. I called the Phillips Eye Institute here in Mpls last spring, and the only thing available to me, in my prescription, was an experimental, partial eye transplant. I would have been the third patient and the cost was about $3000 per eye. I didn't like those statistics.<br /><br />I've heard of the See Clearly Method, but also thought it was a farce. I never checked into it, and by the looks of this thread, I'm glad I didn't.

Realgun

Commander

IT WILL NOT WORK!<br /><br />The muscles that control the focus are involuntary. That means you cannot exorcise them or move them. There are two methods to fix this.<br />Glasses(contacts) or Lasik(surgery).

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the muscles are involuntary, surely one could exercise them by alternatively looking at something near then far. Sort of stretching exercises.<br /><br />Try holding your hand out in front of your face and looking at it and then shifting your gaze to a wall beyond. Do that two or three times and it feels like some muscles are being exercised.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

II noticed this past year that it takes longer and longer for my eyes to change focus from close to far or the reverse. Especially hard to pull in focus up close in under a minute, and by the end of the day, it's just not possible. In the morning I can focus on my hand less than a foot from my face in as little as 2 or 3 seconds. By the afternoon, it will take 30 seconds, by this evening I won't be able to focus closer than 18 - 20 inches and far distance will be blurry with one eye.<br /><br />I have reading glasses (both prescription and off the shelf) and I use them when I have to, but resist because I would rather keep the eye muscles working as long as they can. The eye doc told me that using glasses will cause whatever normal close vision I have to quickly fade because the muscles will not work as hard and as often. Getting glasses is a sure way to become dependant on glasses. <br /><br />I get really pissed when I try to read a package and the darn print is so small that even a 10 year old has a hard time reading it. This is the most prevalent on KIDS MEDICINE BOTTLES. Hello! I need to be able to read that clearly! Its freaking IMPORTANT! But that is a rant for another post.<br /><br />Sitting if front of the terminal all day might help me keep focused up close longer than normal for my (rapidly approaching) 47 years of age. <br /><br />Isn't there an eye drop to fix this? LOL!