Anyone troll with their bowmount?

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a multi-part question and related to my restoration. I'm trying to plan ahead. I have a 17' Lund. I bass fish and occasionally fish lakes for trout. A kicker motor is not in the budget yet, so my plan is to attempt trolling with a bowmount ipilot. I like the idea of trolling a predetermined path without having to fiddle with steering the boat.

My plans raise all kinds of questions.
-Is trolling all day with a bowmount practical?
-Should I consider 24V model rather than 12V for more power and trolling longevity?
-If I go with 24V, should those batteries be dedicated solely to the trolling motor?
-If the trolling motor batteries are dedicated, does that mean I need two more batteries (one for cranking the motor and one for accessories)?

Regardless of how many batteries, my plan was to have all batteries on the opposite side (port side) from me to help compensate for the weight difference when I'm onboard alone which will most likely be often. I out weigh most people by 30+lbs, so I don't think it would be a problem when I do have a passenger.

Placement of batteries would be as follows: For the trolling motor, 1-2 batteries placed underneath the port side console (it's a dual console boat). For cranking and accessories, 1-2 batteries at the stern on the port side.

Is 4 batteries ridiculous? I need to have a plan if I'm going build this boat to do what I need it to do for me. Looking for some input. Thanks to all.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Anyone troll with their bowmount?

- Maybe, for you, all day will require some large batteries.
- yes
- yes, but a few accesories shouldn't be an issue.
- 1, unless you have allot of accessories.

I'd balance the boat without you in it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You really should have two dedicated batteries for the troller since you intend to fish all day. Those two batteries should be large group size 29 deep cycles absolute minimum. Never share a starting battery with a troller as at one point or another you will end up with a dead starting battery and since the accessories will pull more load from the starting battery in addition to the troller current consumption that will shorten on-water time for the troller.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should mention what sort of accessories I'll be having. Nothing out of the ordinary.

When trolling on a nice day, I could picture myself with all these accessories on at some point (some in short, some longer than others).
-2 fishfinders
-Stereo
-VHF radio
-Bilge pump
-Live well
-Downriggers
-Lights (Nav, courtesy and UV's when night fishing)

I'm sure I missed something, but at this point, it's just a dream.

Thanks again.

takirb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I recently added a 4th battery to my fish and ski boat. I have a bowmounted trolling motor as well. I have 2 batteries dedicated for trolling, 1 starter, and 1 deep-cycle for accessories. Trolling batteries on one side, starting and accessory battery on the other. My accessories are the same as yours - 2 fish/depth finders, lights, bilge pump, livewell, and radio. I don't have downriggers though. Under normal circumstances, i think the 4th deep-cycle battery is overkill. But i tend to do more catfishing than anything, which involves all night trips on the water with radio, lights, 1 depth/fish finder, and possibly the livewell depending on what bait i'm using. Nothing like fishing from 6pm to 10am and having no amps left to go home, so i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I tried wiring my accessories to my trolling batteries, but that didn't work for some reason, so i installed the 4th battery last weekend. Peace of mind already :) Not sure how the boat will ride, but shouldn't be any different than it was when i was loading/unloading a spare battery each time anyways.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your plan was ok until you mentioned downriggers. Not only do they require a fair amount of power (when compared to locators and radios), they create drag which essentially increases the work the troller must do. Trolling speed now becomes an issue. Unlike gas engines, trollers are designed and propped to provide a maximum of 3-5 MPH. It may turn out that a bow mount will not do what you want it to do. If you need to run that motor at full speed all day, even a couple of group 29 deep cycles probably won't do the job. Where and how you fish has a lot to do with whether or not you need a kicker. I feel you are approaching or maybe already arrived at that point.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome responses! Thank you. A kicker motor is in my distant future and probably (for me) overkill since I primarily bass fish (but I will get one anyway). All other types of fishing I do will be with family and friends that are not into bass. With the way I trout fish, I might be able to get away with a bowmount until I can afford a kicker. I really only need maybe a half day of trolling and downriggers will not always be used. I troll for awhile, then bait fish for awhile. Mid day I might switch up and crappie or catfish. Who knows? Thanks to you all, I have what I was looking for.....something to go on. Thanks again.

I'm going with 4 batteries by the way.....and in the distant future a kicker.
......heck, maybe I should start with rebuilding my boat first.:D;)