anyone tried?

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since im "required"to have a small oar on board my boat,i just started wondering.How would you row a 8ft wide,19ft bass boat? I see the reasons for the throwable required and of course distress flag,whistle,life vests,etc.BUT,the oar kinda gets me.I dont think i would,or COULD use a little oar in my lock box to move that boat more than 50yds or so before id be needing medical attention!I ve got a main motor,a trolling motor,and then flags,whistles,and a cell phone to get a tow,IF trolling motor would fail.All those options would have to fail miserably for me to attempt to pull an oar out!So,anyone on here ever,SUCCESSFULLY,rowed a bigger boat anywhere?

mikeasb

Cadet
Re: anyone tried?

Good question. My 44 year old 950 Merc finally gave up on me two days ago while out fishing on the lake. I was about a mile from the boat ramp where I put in and I tried for over an hour to row with my (required to have) oar. I got about 200yds closer to the ramp in all that time. 16' Starcraft fiberglass bow rider, light wind, maybe 10 mph, against me. Glad someone finally came along and gave me a tow.

a70eliminator

Captain

I not certain a paddle is a requirement but I've always carried one, even used it a few times to get unstuck and away from shallow water.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have two oars. A metal extendable one with a handle, and a plastic one. Both are kind of crappy. Mainly I use them to manoever close to docks (i.e. move the stern in or something).

I had a problem once in my 20' boat and the oars were useless. It was more productive (and better excercise!) to get out and swim while hanging on to the swim platform. Obviously this isn't an option you can count on in many lakes and rivers. We ended up flagging down for a tow anyway.

But, I think I'm required to have one aboard, so I do.

Jeep Man

Commander

If I have to have a bailing bucket on my pontoon boat, then you have to have a paddle on yours. BTW, have you tried using a paddle on a toon.:rolleyes::)

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I compare the oar on that type of boat to the seats as floatation device on airplane. :D:D

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used mine to also push off of obstacle's in the shallows. I have one of the telescoping ones. It is 4ft extended out and 2 ft retracted. You know I never thought of having a bail on a pontoon. And I can imagine it would be really hard to paddle one.

SeanT

If I have to have a bailing bucket on my pontoon boat, then you have to have a paddle on yours. BTW, have you tried using a paddle on a toon.:rolleyes::)
Touche! Excellent point.

I would imagine if we got stuck on my Dad's pontoon, he'd toss a line out front and tell me to get my life jacket on....

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just for the sake of arguing, we tried to paddle our boat in a slight head wind and made zero progress, as a matter of fact I think we might have gone backwards a few feet. The paddles are worthless for this, however, I did find something they come in real handy for.......

Scenario: My 5 yo son and I were fishing the other day, after answering 25,000 questions, I was checking the bait on one of the poles. I hear, "Dad" and I answer " Yes son?", figuring it was another question about who could kick who's butt if it were Spiderman vs. Batman. In a very calm voice he says "There's a snake on the boat." I said "What?". "There's a snake on the boat." I jumped and asked him where. It was 2 feet from us on the back deck. In a scurry to find something to get him out of the boat, I picked up one of the collapsible paddles and shoveled it 30 yards back out into the lake. The paddle worked great for slinging a snake back into the water, only problem was the snake wanted back on the boat again. I took that paddle and beat the tar out of the snake until it was no longer conscious. I realize now after some skepticism, why the requirement for paddles on boats. They are not there for maneuverability, but to help fight snakes!

I have beat away snakes with the paddle before as well. Nothing works as good as the paddle for that. Keep them on board as a good beater.....

TerryMSU

A paddle and a bailing bucket REQUIRED! Where is that? I have NEVER heard of such a thing.

I have a small aluminum bass boat and I carrry a paddle, but no bailing bucket.

As far as paddling a pontoon, I have done that with reasonable success. You sit out on the front corner of the pontoon deck with your feet on the front of the pontoon or dragging in the water and paddle. It works a lot better than trying to paddle a bass boat with a paddle.

As far as the stupid rules go... here is one. I used to have a Hobie Cat 16. No dry storage. But I still had to carry the original registration, not a copy. As far as a bailing bucket on that rig, NO WAY. I would fight that one in court. By the way, coast guard regs required a signal means, but no fire extinguisher on that boat.

TerryMSU

Jeep Man

Commander

A paddle and a bailing bucket REQUIRED! Where is that? I have NEVER heard of such a thing.

I have a small aluminum bass boat and I carrry a paddle, but no bailing bucket.

As far as paddling a pontoon, I have done that with reasonable success. You sit out on the front corner of the pontoon deck with your feet on the front of the pontoon or dragging in the water and paddle. It works a lot better than trying to paddle a bass boat with a paddle.

As far as the stupid rules go... here is one. I used to have a Hobie Cat 16. No dry storage. But I still had to carry the original registration, not a copy. As far as a bailing bucket on that rig, NO WAY. I would fight that one in court. By the way, coast guard regs required a signal means, but no fire extinguisher on that boat.

TerryMSU

Very close to you Terry. Just cross over to Ontario.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Double check your requirements. I think oars are only required on boats 16' and under.

If a snake comes on my boat, he can have it. I'm swimming home. The way I figure it, something that moves in the water, on the land, and in the trees so quickly without arms or legs is probably the devil.

Summer Fun

Banned

Went I got my boat it had a oar on it I looked at it !!.
And said yep that oar will get me home IF both engines failed at once. :eek:
I gave that thing away. :D

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

A canoe paddle substitutes for an "oar" and you can carry a canoe paddle that has hooks on the handle. They are inexpensive, and come in very handy when docking or needing to push off. Do a search on "marine hook paddle".

Depending on the size and style of boat, you can paddle from a stern corner, depending on wind and current, but this has its limitations.

;)

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 17' BR and had to row(or work hard and go no where LOL) for like 10 min against the current, wind, and bad luck. . Lucky I got a tow to the dock only a 1/8 mile away. :D:D:D:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you all probably would be better off with a paddle than an oar; oars really work best in pairs, unless you know how to rig one for sculling.

The reason you have a paddle even on a larger boat is for those under 50 yard issues, including pushing off objects. In some places where I boat, the shove pole is far more important.

Required or not, every boat should have a bailing device and paddle. Exceptions, of course, closed hulls (sailing cats, pontoons) for bailers; large boats for paddles.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

The oar is for the law.

The "oar" to move the boat should the main fail?

That one is made my minn kota.;)

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think that at least here in FL you have to have an oar on a boat anymore. There might be a size limit on the boat (smaller maybe) but as already mentioned you can't row a boat with any size to it anyway, and I know Coast Guard ready kits don't include one anymore. I've also been checked before and they never asked for it.

I also have an 8' anchor pin and an 80# Minn Kota trolling motor so the oar would probably end up being firewood if I ever actually got stranded...