Anyone tried one of these boats?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its just a resurgence of the car-top boat that sears did in the 40s and 50s

however I dont like the rocking chair like hull on the minidrifter

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I had one as a young teen.Lightweight and indestructible.I am sure they are even lighter weight now and surely not as indestructible as the one I had back in the 70s. great little Jon boat!!! just dont let it fill with water because it sinks like a rock.Charlie

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
its just a resurgence of the car-top boat that sears did in the 40s and 50s

however I dont like the rocking chair like hull on the minidrifter
I thought that looked weird also. Rocking chair :LOL: dont need anymore rocking.
I was just looking at something to crab in.

matt167

Captain
It’s a drift boat. They all have that hull type. I’m not sure what the purpose of a drift boat is. I built a glen L drift pram but lost interest before I finished it

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Somebody from the US North West probably could explain the rocking chair design of the boats used on those rivers. That's the only place I have seen them.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
is this any different than the million different jon boats that can be had for $100 used?
Well, drift boats are a real thing and quite different than a Jon boat. They are popular in the PNW for fly fishing the rivers out there. Here’s an image of a wooden drift boat. Never tried one, but the rocker bottom is intentional for (I think) scooting over rapids and fast water.
I just asked them to quote me the base price of a 14’ powerskiff. I’m guessing lots!

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Well, drift boats are a real thing and quite different than a Jon boat. They are popular in the PNW for fly fishing the rivers out there. Here’s an image of a wooden drift boat. Never tried one, but the rocker bottom is intentional for (I think) scooting over rapids and fast water.
I just asked them to quote me the base price of a 14’ powerskiff. I’m guessing lots!
Well now I know of the reason for the unique design. Thanks.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The rocker shaped hull ALLOWS the person rowing / steering a motor.... To always keep the bow pointed in ANY direction for a entire trip. No matter what the wind and current are trying to push the boat around 2.
The rounded bottom is a PLUS in non still conditions.