Anyone tow their boat with a Dodge Magnum?

redfury

Commander
Re: Anyone tow their boat with a Dodge Magnum?

I wonder if the Hemi Magnum is going to get better mileage than the truck would since it'll probably be under similar strain based on gearing. The Cylinder on Demand system in the Hemi is going to be saying " Give him ALL EIGHT!", so you won't see savings based on that, and the higher gears in the Magnum are going to put more of a strain on the motor causing you to push your foot a little deeper into it.

If it were me though, if I really liked the car, I'd probably look into at least adding a tranny cooler if the rear suspension held up to the tongue weight and the passenger weight without looking like an old Lincoln with bad air bags.

Shamic

Cadet

Lets look at it from another perspective. Older rear drive body on frame cars in the 60's and 70's towed boats and other trailers all the time without incident. My dad used to tow an 18' skiboat with my his oldsmobiles all the time. He had a 1969 Olds 98, a 1970 Olds 98, a 1977 Olds 88 that towed weekly sometimes just a few miles, sometimes a few hundred. The first two had 455 CI engines, the '77 had a 350 CI. I don't know what they were rated for. There seems to conflicitng info as to what the 300/Magnum/Charger is rated for. I can say that knowing that these newer, more modern cars have comparable weight, superior brakes, steering, frame rigidity, transmissions and a real 'mofo' of an engine, I can only assume that they would be superior tow vehicles to those of the 20-30 years ago. I also think current tow ratings are much more conservative than back then. If 300/Magnum/ Charger got better mileage than my 4Runner (that I love) I would consider buying one.

Not to jack the thread (sort of) but the glaring difference that is being overlooked on this post is that cars 30 years ago had full frames, rear leaf springs, different gearing, etc. Not to mention that a 18 foot ski boat is hardly something difficult to tow.
The tires on new cars are definitely built more for speed, not sidewall load bearing strength, not to mention heat resistance when loaded. I have pulled trailers with cars, and would strongly recommend nothing more than about 2000 pounds with a 200 lb tounge weight max.

leprofdodge

Recruit

I do have a Magnum RT 2006 AWD.
I do have a tent trailer HW dry weight of 3100 pounds.

I do tow my tent trailer with my Magnum
The magnum is use to tow 3800 pounds !

I do not have any problem driving with my trailer behind, This is a Hemi !!
The back suspension will go down around 1 inche 1 1/2 inche....

Dont worry....

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

trailer.jpg

soler

Seaman Apprentice

I do have a Magnum RT 2006 AWD.
I do have a tent trailer HW dry weight of 3100 pounds.

I do tow my tent trailer with my Magnum
The magnum is use to tow 3800 pounds !

I do not have any problem driving with my trailer behind, This is a Hemi !!
The back suspension will go down around 1 inche 1 1/2 inche....

Dont worry....

Wow, someone actually read the original question and answerred it! Thanks, leprofdodge. So, how does it handle and what sort of mileage do you get?

As for everyone else...it has the towing package (tranny cooler, wiring ready for trailer wiring) all it needs is the hitch. The only way Dodge could legally void warranty is if I towed more than 3800 lbs. It is in the owners manual!

Older cars had solid axles and leaf springs. True, and that's why I was asking my question. Because this car has a different set up. It says it can do it, so I want to know who has. You know, getting feedback from those with experience, not those with general opinions.

As far as me affording fuel for my truck or getting rid of it if I can't...that's my concern. And it isn't whether I should tow with my car or not. It's not whether it is better to tow with the truck or the car. It was a question of whether anyone has done it, and what was their experience? The car is equipped to do so, I just want to see if anyone has.

Thanks!

SOLER

fishrdan

Admiral

Only 1 Iboat guy answered your specific question. You should ask this question at a Dodge Magnum forum to get other qualified answers. (guess he didn't read my reply :rolleyes: )

Ya know,,, if my dad could tow a few 1000# with his old Chevy station wagon I'm sure you will be fine with the Magnum.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wow, someone actually read the original question and answerred it! Thanks, leprofdodge. So, how does it handle and what sort of mileage do you get?

As for everyone else...it has the towing package (tranny cooler, wiring ready for trailer wiring) all it needs is the hitch. The only way Dodge could legally void warranty is if I towed more than 3800 lbs. It is in the owners manual!

Older cars had solid axles and leaf springs. True, and that's why I was asking my question. Because this car has a different set up. It says it can do it, so I want to know who has. You know, getting feedback from those with experience, not those with general opinions.

As far as me affording fuel for my truck or getting rid of it if I can't...that's my concern. And it isn't whether I should tow with my car or not. It's not whether it is better to tow with the truck or the car. It was a question of whether anyone has done it, and what was their experience? The car is equipped to do so, I just want to see if anyone has.

Thanks!

SOLER

My original response from post #2 as follows

Stick with the truck !!!!
Just my humble opinion though. A neighbor of mine tows his little Gypsy house trailer with his and swears to get something better as soon as his lease is up !!!!

Someone with experience there that is towing around the 3,000 lb mark (loaded) and hates his tow vehicle. I actually went and spoke to him before I posted my first response so I could give an honest opinion to you.
Did you ignore my response because it was not what you wanted to hear ????

If that is the case then dont ask the questions.

leprofdodge

Recruit

Thanks!

SOLER

I went camping this weekend drove about 140 kilometers. The drive was very smooth. No problem at all. The weight of the trailer is 3147 pounds dry.

On flat road no problem, rpm below 2. run around 16.0 liters per 100 km.
In the Hill no probleme at all. I haver the Hemi.

The suspension will go down around 1 inches but with the load levelling system it will come back to his original place.

Overall, was a great ride with no stress at all.
I will post a new add tomorrow with pictures.

cribber

Lieutenant

I don't have the magnum but do trailer my boat (Glastron GT185) with a 2004 Pacifica which is rated to pull 3500lbs. I installed a class III Hidden Hidden Hitch with 2" receiver and have not had a problem. The Pacifica does have an external transmisssion cooler, 3.5l engine with 250HP and 250f-lbs of torque. As long as you don't exceed the load rating stated in the owner's manual, you should be fine.

Last edited: