Anyone think this is worth $200?

Griflog

Cadet
Looks like it needs a lot of work. Was told the motor runs ( have no idea about compression) and the floor is soft in spots. Haven't had a chance to see it in person.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 0

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone think this is worth $200?

Well, the gas can (if it doesn't leak) is worth at least $20,
the trailer is probably in the same condition as the hull, but might have some value.
The old battery will bring $5 at the recyclers.

I think $200 is too low.

Make him give you at least $300 to haul it off.

imported_74baja

Seaman Apprentice

Hahaha
Like that. That thing looks nasty, Although I feel like I've seen those pictures before. I wonder how he damaged the outboard cowling?
justs one question, if you don't mind me asking... why?

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, the gas can (if it doesn't leak) is worth at least $20,
the trailer is probably in the same condition as the hull, but might have some value.
The old battery will bring $5 at the recyclers.

I think $200 is too low.

what kind of drugs is HE on. I agree at least 300. to haul it out. but first I'd check to see how much the dump would charge you.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

I disagree with the others. Check the compression on the motor and the components. The motor alone could be worth five or six hundred dollars with a cowling off ebay(10 - 20 bucks) and a little elbow grease.

I work on these things all day, so I may look at it different.

chad

p.s. Offer him like a hundred bucks to take it off his hands

Griflog

Cadet

I disagree with the others. Check the compression on the motor and the components. The motor alone could be worth five or six hundred dollars with a cowling off ebay(10 - 20 bucks) and a little elbow grease.

I work on these things all day, so I may look at it different.

chad

p.s. Offer him like a hundred bucks to take it off his hands

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Too much work to get looking good, but surely the motor and trailer are worth more than that? I'm thinking 100 bucks because he seems eager to unload it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

obviously storm damage.......if you are handy....the motors worth bucks...trlr.....400......problem is scrapping the hull....check local landfill laws

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

...Check the compression on the motor ...

Yeah -- and remember after you pull the plugs to give all the seawater a chance to drain. Liquid in the cylinders really skews those compression numbers...:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree, $100 clean it out, see what you have, here the land fill is +-$30.00. trailer is worth $100. if it rolls.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like it needs a lot of work. Was told the motor runs ( have no idea about compression) and the floor is soft in spots. Haven't had a chance to see it in person.

Floor is soft in spots:confused:, I think you would be hard-pressed to find a hard spot!

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guaranteed Trash. cowl 20.00 bucks hum! all the time and $ and time, you'll put into that trash, and your return will be little to none. Time is money too!If you really want a good project boat ...look for a different one.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Typical I will give it to you if you get it out of here boat. Not much to work with. Got to be better stuff around that someone will give you. SAWZALLS work good for dismantling a boat and having the trash man take the pieces over time. FRED

K-MAC

Cadet

Hey everyone
In the past I have taken old boat hulls to paintball feilds and it only cost a few bucks in fuel.Just call up some local feilds and see what they say.I only get rid of hulls that are really damaged and just are not safe anymore .The motors are always worth a few bucks to some one. The trailer should sell for $200-$400.If your planing on rehabing the boat you will be amazed by just cleaning them up ,I would like to see more boats being repaired then just trached in the landfill. There's only a few of us left out there that are willing to take these old forgotten boats and rehab them.The return is well worth the cost just take some time on E-bay , Craigs list and always look around your town most people just want them gone they'll be very happy just to give them to you.Just try to make sure you get titles or such paper work even if it's free. Well Good Luck

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I think it has more to do with how much you're willing to spend on fixing things... and what your time is worth...

on any "inexpensive" project, be it a boat, car, motorcycle or whatever, chances are that the time and moeny you invest after the purchase far outweighs the initial investment - especially if you put value on your time (I do).

100,200,500, whatever... If you buy it, you'll likely have a LOT more in it than that before you're through. If you have to realy think about it, bet you can find a better starting point. I wouldn't even consider it unless the compression was even and high and I'm not saying I would bother to check...

Just my experience...

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it has more to do with how much you're willing to spend on fixing things... and what your time is worth...

on any "inexpensive" project, be it a boat, car, motorcycle or whatever, chances are that the time and moeny you invest after the purchase far outweighs the initial investment -

Just my experience...[/QUOTE
I agree totally,
a boat of special something, name, manufacture, model, type, might be worth the time and $ but a junk nothing boat like the one in the pic..., is not a good investment to make any type of profit! iif you have that much time on your hands get a P.T. job and save some money for a better somthing, and if you want it for your own pleasure, your better off putting $ away each week til you have enough to buy something that's worth it! JMO, and experience.;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

For the work that would be involved and your wanting a boat to fix up,,,,,there are many out there that may need the work, but some will have good complete hardware. It is the nickle dime stuff that empties a wallet and max's out credit cards. The bigger the boat,,,,the more bucks to maintain. BTDT with my present boat. I wanted it, got it, labored on it, and I use it. It is all what your hearts desire wants.

For the work on that particular hull,,,no would be my answer. There are plenty of newer hulls out there that maybe more compete and better condtion. Most are sitting behind someones house in a shed. Those are the ones to ask questions about. Ones under trees with plants growing out is beyond hope IMO.

I have a 89 VIP Vision hull. Engine/outdrive is gone,,,,,,floor rotten,,,,,seats/interior rotten, ,,,,,,, but the hull itself is in great condtion but has the typical fade in the gel coat. I'm just waiting for a repower of my big boat to use its engine/drive in the Vision boat.

WTL

Seaman

I agree that there are better candidates out there for a rebuild, but you probably could turn a little profit out of it as long as the motor does run. The trailer might be salvagable too. The boat is garbage, but gas can might be good, battery...maybe, what type steering?

Look at it like this.

If the motor runs: $250
Trailer: $100
Misc: $Maybe $50

Now is that worth taking the dang thing away and fooling with it? Talk him down to $100 and maybe. Ebay the motor, no motors sell underpriced on ebay, craiglist the trailer. Talk to your buddies about the rest.

PS, when I flipped my tracker going down the interstate 70 mph, I damaged the cowl just like that. Busted the coils too. Ended up trading the motor for a used starcraft, who knows who got the better deal, but at least I got a surer thing.

Cruiserman

Cadet

"Looks like it needs a lot of work. Was told the motor runs ( have no idea about compression) and the floor is soft in spots. Haven't had a chance to see it in person"

No, it is not worth it

cbavier

Lieutenant

Nope............ Run baby Run! The whole thing looks like work to me.
I'd rather be out on the water enjoying a boat. I mean a little work is OK but you have to have something to start with. If the floor is that rotten the stringers are going to be rotten to.

pduquette

Ensign

And remember....The pictures are like Beer goggles..you won't belive how different it looks sober/inperson!!:D