Anyone Seen these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look at the props supplied with early 10 / 15 HP OMC outboards.----Very narrow blades.-----That presented very little load on the motor.----Allowed revs to build quickly.----As boat started moving those thin blades started to bite better.-----Props and the behavior of water have always been a little magical.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I find it funny that people see an 80,000 outboard and it all oohs and aaahs. A $5000 prop and it's ooh they didn't test it right. Ooh it's to expensive, I can't put that on my $400 boat. Just brings a smile to my face

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Scott, you miss the point. A new top of the line conventional SS prop is say $550. The prop of discussion is nearly 10X that. So would you consider an $800K outboard over an $80K outboard, if it was twice as efficient on fuel?

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
I paid $30,000 for my 07 crownline 240 LS. It has a bravo III outdrive. I'd be increasing my investment in my boat by 25% by buying a pair of those if they even made 'em for the bravo III. I'm really struggling to imagine a performance ROI that makes that worthwhile, but maybe it's the miracle prop that cuts fuel usage in half while simultaneously increasing WOT speed and cruising speed and planing earlier and at lower speeds. Who knows?

That being said, I haven't seen the reviews but what I'd need to see to even remotely consider that kind of investment?

Same boat, same motor, configured with a prop that is sized correctly (proper WOT RPMs etc.). Then same for this newfangled thing.

For each I'd need to see significantly decreased fuel consumption and increased top speed with faster planing. In other words, it would have to be better (significantly better) in every user impacting category. If any one of those isn't better, then the other two better be amazing, even mind-blowing, improvements.

In the absence of near-miracle gains, why spend the $$? Spend 8x the dollars for an incremental improvement that can be ruined by one submerged log? Sorry, I'm not that stupid.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Scott, you miss the point. A new top of the line conventional SS prop is say $550. The prop of discussion is nearly 10X that. So would you consider an $800K outboard over an $80K outboard, if it was twice as efficient on fuel?
No you are missing the point completely. What is conventional about that prop? There is even a picture of the prop and yet all I here is conventional? WHY are you so stuck in conventionality when it is clearly NOT. And $550 for a top of the line stainless, C'mon man. You are all so afraid of something new coming out, Frankly I am embarrassed for you. There is no shame in not being able to afford it.

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
No you are missing the point completely. What is conventional about that prop? There is even a picture of the prop and yet all I here is conventional? WHY are you so stuck in conventionality when it is clearly NOT. And $550 for a top of the line stainless, C'mon man. You are all so afraid of something new coming out, Frankly I am embarrassed for you.
No one is afraid of a new concept in prop technology. They're afraid of $5K price tag and doubtful that the concept delivers from an ROI perspective.

If it does, great. I'm sure we'll hear tons of users raving about how great it is. Just bear in mind, for that price differential, the improvements have to be nothing short of astounding.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are watches to tell time at $1,000,000 each.-----So for some folks $6,000 for a prop is not a problem.------Same goes for high end " super cars "-----Many items are not in my snack bracket.

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
There are watches to tell time at $1,000,000 each.-----So for some folks $6,000 for a prop is not a problem.------Same goes for high end " super cars "-----Many items are not in my snack bracket.

There are definitely people who spend money with reckless abandon, but not everyone would pay that. I could afford it....I wrote a $30,000 check for my boat. But I don't spend money without expecting something in return. So far, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe I'd get the kind of ROI on that prop to make it worthwhile.

But I'm fine with people buying solid gold bathroom fixtures...whatever floats your boat as the say....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I always like to assign a value to an item. Lets say a $5K woman's purse. It still carries stuff like a cheaper brand. So where is it's added value? It is the snobbery that comes with the cost of it, so you are paying a premium to show that you paid a premium? That makes no sense to me.

Now if you want to spend nearly 10 times the price of a good stainless prop, for that eggbeater, it is your choice. What is the value? It has to be more than Snobbery, at least in my opinion.

Now if it doubled your efficiency for 2X the price of a good SS prop, that might work.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I paid $30,000 for my 07 crownline 240 LS. It has a bravo III outdrive. I'd be increasing my investment in my boat by 25% by buying a pair of those if they even made 'em for the bravo III. I'm really struggling to imagine a performance ROI that makes that worthwhile, but maybe it's the miracle prop that cuts fuel usage in half while simultaneously increasing WOT speed and cruising speed and planing earlier and at lower speeds. Who knows?

That being said, I haven't seen the reviews but what I'd need to see to even remotely consider that kind of investment?

Same boat, same motor, configured with a prop that is sized correctly (proper WOT RPMs etc.). Then same for this newfangled thing.

For each I'd need to see significantly decreased fuel consumption and increased top speed with faster planing. In other words, it would have to be better (significantly better) in every user impacting category. If any one of those isn't better, then the other two better be amazing, even mind-blowing, improvements.

In the absence of near-miracle gains, why spend the $$? Spend 8x the dollars for an incremental improvement that can be ruined by one submerged log? Sorry, I'm not that stupid.

I always like to assign a value to an item. Lets say a $5K woman's purse. It still carries stuff like a cheaper brand. So where is it's added value? It is the snobbery that comes with the cost of it, so you are paying a premium to show that you paid a premium? That makes no sense to me.

Now if you want to spend nearly 10 times the price of a good stainless prop, for that eggbeater, it is your choice. What is the value? It has to be more than Snobbery, at least in my opinion.

Now if it doubled your efficiency for 2X the price of a good SS prop, that might work.
So who is the snob? The person who can afford it? Or the person who resents them for it?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
In about 1983 I paid $2000 for an IBM computer. It was rated in bytes and had limited capabilities. Today's computers are rated in terrabytes and cost only 1/10th the price.

Economy of scale. If enough people buy the sbarrow maybe eventually it'll come down to $550.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Unlikely it will go below 2G. Plus it really is a Disposable Prop. It would be more difficult to repair it, than to mill a new one

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
So who is the snob? The person who can afford it? Or the person who resents them for it?

I don't resent people who spend money on stuff like that. More power to 'em (and the people who take advantage of them). I knew a guy who built woodstrip canoes and sold them for $15,000. He was smart and marketed to the people with money to burn and he had a multi-year waiting list. Good marketing.

I don't think you'll see to many of the money-to-burn folks on this forum, so support will be minimal. Good luck though. Show me the value and I'll show you the money. So far you haven't come through on your part of that deal, so don't get mad at me for keeping my wallet in my pocket.

Oh....and if the value isn't there, I'll laugh at the more money than brains folks who buy it just like I do when they buy overpriced chevy tahoes with a cadilac badge or overpriced rav4's with a lexus badge.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I don't resent people who spend money on stuff like that. More power to 'em (and the people who take advantage of them). I knew a guy who built woodstrip canoes and sold them for $15,000. He was smart and marketed to the people with money to burn and he had a multi-year waiting list. Good marketing.

I don't think you'll see to many of the money-to-burn folks on this forum, so support will be minimal. Good luck though. Show me the value and I'll show you the money. So far you haven't come through on your part of that deal, so don't get mad at me for keeping my wallet in my pocket.

Oh....and if the value isn't there, I'll laugh at the more money than brains folks who buy it just like I do when they buy overpriced chevy tahoes with a cadilac badge or overpriced rav4's with a lexus badge.
So you judge peoples monetary status because they are on this forum?

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
So you judge peoples monetary status because they are on this forum?
Nope. I assume that most people on a boating forum are do-it-yourself types. Money to burn people don't go to a forum to debug their problems, learn how to trailer their boat, find the right anchor for their needs, etc. They pay people for that.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here with plenty of money. I'm also reasonably confident they fall into the same category as me: they have money, but they spend it only when there's a reasonable ROI. They're here because they get a better time/money valuation learning to do things themselves.

Are there exceptions? sure. Many? probably not.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I can't comment on the Tahoe-Escalade comparision, but I have owned several Caddies and their cousins in the Buick and Olds lines, often at the same time. There were many differences in the Cars, construction wise. Anyone who would try to tell me their Buick Electra, or Old Regency was the same as a DeVille or Fleetwood was told they were not, as I owned both

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
I can't comment on the Tahoe-Escalade comparision, but I have owned several Caddies and their cousins in the Buick and Olds lines, often at the same time. There were many differences in the Cars, construction wise. Anyone who would try to tell me their Buick Electra, or Old Regency was the same as a DeVille or Fleetwood was told they were not, as I owned both
I drove my grandpa's caddy...same year as our GMC Safari. The audio system, controls for the A/C and heat, headlight switch, etc....all the same.

It's been awhile, but I looked at the caddy/suburban cousins 10 years ago. The primary difference was extra sound insulation and some fancy wood trim....oh and about $20K

Status
Not open for further replies.