Anyone own(ed) a Dodge Magnum?

southkogs

Staff member
Lookin' at used cars and kinda' wanted a station wagon. I've got a full size van, so plenty of cargo space and hauling power already - so, staying away from SUV's and crossovers for the moment. Plus, I'm trying to keep it to a cash buy.

Magnum wagons are intriguing, mainly for the cool "chop top" look. But, they seem like their tough to see out of. Anyone had one? Whaddya' think about it?

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone own(ed) a Dodge Magnum?

go to a local dodge dealer and test one out, don't have to buy it. I will tell you I've never owned one, but was a mechanic at a dodge dealer so I drove quite a few, it was fine for me but felt like my shorter wife would have a hard time. 5.7 hemi isn't a bad engine, but definitely not a great one, hard on fuel, even the newer MDS hemi's are hard on fuel, and the engines have a hard time getting rid of moisture. The hemi's don't like to be run for short periods of time, need longer drives to heat up properly and remove internal moisture, so if you have a very short drive to work might not be good. for towing power the hemi is worst in class the power band isn't matched to the trannies so they fall off the map after 1st gear

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I think the Magnum, 300M, and Charger are all built on the same platform. I miss the Charger that Taco Bell gave the wife as a company car. It was just the 3.5 HO, but that car was a fun driver. If you don't need the storage space, both those other frames give you the same function with different levels of sport or luxury.

southkogs

Staff member

Thanks y'all:

I've driven the 300, and it's a nice driver. I've driven the Magnum once, but just can't tell how "bad" the visibility is out of it on the overall. I'd probably opt for the 6cyl if I can find one. Not looking for performance. I need a daily driver, but thought it'd be nice to have a little "cool" behind it.

Thanks for the thoughts.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

^^^^^ Yep, same platform, same designer. My wife has a Charger with a 3.5HO and loves it. Plenty of power for a family car. They do make a smaller motor too, a 2.x Do not get a Magnum with anything less than a 3.5 I talked to a guy that had the smaller motor in his Magnum and he said it couldn't get out of its own way.

I have a hemi in my 3/4 ton truck. I like it alot. Not sure about all the negativity from one of the posters. Depending on the year, the hemis shut down half of their cylinders when cruzing down the highway for better gas mileage. 3/4 tons don't have that option, half tons do. Even so, I can get 17+mpg which is pretty darn good considering....... A hemi in a Magnum would be a blast!

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

I had a rental after someone rear-ended me. Took it to New Orleans from Birmingham, Al and I think it was the best road trip car I had ever been in. It was the V6 base model. I have done that trip a few more times and I was not nearly as comfortable. I thought visibility would be an issue but once I got in I never thought about it again.

southkogs

Staff member

Thanks y'all. Not too afraid of Mopar. I've had the 2.4liter turbo back in the 90's and the 318 & 3.8 liter more recently. Though Chrysler can put pieces in weird places sometimes - look for the battery on a Sebring!

I'm starting to think the visibility may not bother me after a while.

southkogs

Staff member

So to resurrect an old thread, and fill in the "rrrrrrest of the story" ...

I had been looking' at the Magnums and biding my time (wasn't in a hurry to buy) and a deal came along that I really couldn't pass up. I wound up with a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7l Hemi. I was able to purchase it (less than 70k miles) for a little less than what it's trade-in value is (locally anyway).

Truk.jpg

Does he need a pickup? C'mon, everyone needs a pickup.
Does he need a 3/4 ton pickup? Well, I sure didn't need a 1 ton - silly.
Does he need a Hemi? Yes. Yes. and Yes. I didn't really know that, but I do now.

Nothing but big iron in the driveway now, but it's been cheap to get hold of.