WHOA,with thinking like that ,do you only take your boat to the same lake
and never go any where else?
what about cruise ships,dry dock them?
what about world trade by ships?

woosterken

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Anyone made The Great Loop?

All the places on the Great Loop already have zebra mussels. So that horse has already left the barn and the chickens are roosting. So that's a non-issue.

Seacub1

Recruit
Re: Anyone made The Great Loop?

Two young women, ages 22 and 26 will complete the great loop on Sunday Aug 30, 2009 at an inland location, Waupaca Wisconsin.

They boated approxinately 6000 miles in a trip that started June 4 in Chicago.

The trip was undertaken in a 16 ft aluminum Duroboat.
Boating life magazine followed them and has video posted , their blog and many pictures, see www.boatinglife.com

There are videos posted at Google and You Tube search for Small Boat Big Summer or Great Loop SiBBS or Duroboat

The Great Loop portion was really Chicago south via rivers then the gullf intercoastal and southern Canada and back to Lake Michigan, exiting near Green Bay. Then with some portaging they added an inland Wisconsin trip on the Fox and Wolf River chains Then they moved the boat to the Waupaca Chain.

They will be on the Waupaca Chain o Lakes first for a final crusise of the trip on the lakes Sunday morning 8-30 then at the Clearwater Harbor Bar Sunday afternoon for a reception and party, with a Band. Anyone nearby is welcome to join the cruise or come hear their story and the band.

Details and additional photos and lists of Ports of call are all at www.duroboat.com, under the starburst that says Great loop Event.

gr8knurlin

Seaman Apprentice
Up until 2 weeks ago I did not even know it was possible to go from the great lakes to the gulf coast by boat. Someone on another site I'm part of (snowmobile site of all places) brought it up and I started looking into it. We plan to retire on a boat and were thinking the west coast but the wife is not a big fan of wide open ocean waters so I was looking into big lakes (Ozarks, Havasu etc.) great lakes would be cool because I could access NS & NB from there, but if we are living on our boat then I need water that does not freeze.
This discovery is a game changer for us, My wife has bought me a few books on the journey and I've found some awesome info online. When the time comes I'm thinking a 36-42' tri-cabin with diesels like a Chris Craft, Trojan or Carver. I think that style would offer more comfort due to the space provided by multiple levels as opposed to a pocket or sport cruiser.

Either way I'm guessing we will retire "Looping"

Status
Not open for further replies.