anyone know of an OTC equivalent to this?????

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
looking to see if anyone knows an over the counter equivalent to this tubing nut... its mercury P/N 22-49718, and connects the damn plastic trim hose to the pump and the reverse lockout.... one of mine blew out, and replacement genuine is at least a week away.... I would prefer to be on the water before that, so am wondering if this style of fitting was commonly used on more than just the boats.....pic below to reference.... Somehow I doubt an Ace Hardware would have them, but you never know.......

the ferrule and nut are ONE PIECE on this, not the usual two piece affair tht you normally see... I am betting its due to the higher pressures used in the trim system (up to about 800 psi on mine on the down side....)

Attachments

• compression nut.jpg
    compression nut.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 7

ScottinAZ

There is several on ebay, one guy is in FL and says 2 to 4 day ship. My guess is there are others, and may even do faster ship for a price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184035517100
yeah, I already bought some off ebay, I was hoping someone would have said "just go to such and such, and you can get them TODAY".......

shipping lately is a crapshoot..... so much for the postmans creed, and nothing stops them from their appointed rounds, now its.... what excuse can we give today for it being weeks late...... UPS and FedEx arent any better, if they even get my stuff to the right address......

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with USPS being a crap shoot.
Renter sent me a check which was post marked on May 22, received June 6

Have had a package coming from NY which normally takes no more then 2 days. Package had tracking number and it went from NY to MI then to FL and then back to KY, good grief

ScottinAZ

Agree with USPS being a crap shoot.
Renter sent me a check which was post marked on May 22, received June 6

Have had a package coming from NY which normally takes no more then 2 days. Package had tracking number and it went from NY to MI then to FL and then back to KY, good grief
yeah, the driveshaft bellows I just installed today was ordered a couple of weeks ago, and spent a week in FEDEX purgatory somewhere in Ohio..... Really could have used it LAST WEEK when it was supposed to be here......

Fun Times

Staff member
Could try searching hydraulic hose repair shops near me and see if they can help.

What area of AZ are you in?

Hydraulic Tubing Attaching Compression Nut FITTING 22-49718​

ScottinAZ

Could try searching hydraulic hose repair shops near me and see if they can help.

What area of AZ are you in?

Hydraulic Tubing Attaching Compression Nut FITTING 22-49718​

I’m in Globe. With the mines you would think there would be a hydro shop around, but alas, nope. Probably a bit small for their stuff though anyways

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks like a standard tube nut and ferrule combined into one part

ScottinAZ

Looks like a standard tube nut and ferrule combined into one part
agreed. question is, will a standard two piece unit stand up to the pressure of the pump..... just for $hits and giggles, ill head to the hardware store today and see if they have a combo that will "work" temporarily at least..... Shipping confirmation has these parts coming in next friday (so a week and a half to ship to AZ from NC....) I really need to know if the pump control valve is working, or if the bad hoses were the sole cause of my trim issues.... (huge leak was obviously a hose, but the no/slow down is a bigger issue, and not likely a hose)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
standard tube nut and standard ferrule will survive the 2900 PSI of the trim pump. the issue is, will it seat?

ScottinAZ

standard tube nut and standard ferrule will survive the 2900 PSI of the trim pump. the issue is, will it seat?
2900 is good, but this pump only does 800 on the down side (OLD prestolite pump spec from manual) I will just replace the whole damn fitting into the pump and reverse lockout, as long as I can get the proper thread pitch. I won’t try to seal a standard ferrule into this, just in case the angles are different. Standard compression fittings are easy to find.

ScottinAZ

ok, for the record, a workaround to the seemingly "proprietary" nuts here is this.... use a 1/4" standard ferrule, and a 1/4" inverted flare nut.... works just like the original, but you can get them locally.... the angles in the fittings are compatible, and will compress the ferrule for a secure seal and fitting.....

trying to replace the entire fitting was a fools errand. the end that goes into the pump also holds in place the check valve assembly, and a standard fitting is too large to contain the spring and compress it.....