Anyone know a good cure for insomnia?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
It's 12.45AM here and I can't sleep...that's why I'm on here, been trying for 4 hours before I got up. I'm supposed to be driving a semi in 3 hours. I know that ain't gonna happen now so I'm not going in (don't want to kill people!) but this keeps happening and it's really getting on my nerves.<br /><br />Only two stipulations- Nothing illegal and nothing that makes you feel hungover when you wake up.<br /><br /><br />Anyone got any good remedies?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Anyone know a good cure for insomnia?

STOP WATCHING THE CRICKET!!! :D :D :D <br /><br />You think it's bad where you are? Where I am at the moment the sun doesn't set until gone 10.30pm! That makes getting sleep a bit difficult.<br /><br />Have fun.....<br /><br />Chris..............

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Cricket? Wossat den? They wot I feed to the tarantula aint dey? Or is that Ozzie batsmen :p :p :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nos4r2, drove truck for some 20 years, and still just sleep about 3 hours at a time.<br />Just a habit my body got into and won't get out of it. I have tried everything.<br />Good luck.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks SBN.I usually manage on about 5 hours-but lately I've had my shifts messed around with so much that I'm not even sure when morning is-hence being unable to sleep. I'm beginning to get tired of working agency. Might even be time to go get a proper job.... :(

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nos4r2, I have heard that going to sleep will cure insomnia.... :D <br /><br />You know I'm just ragging you, right?

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A high carb diet keeps me awake, (pastas, breads, sugars, etc). When I eat less of that and more proteins (meat, cheese, nuts, etc) I find sleeping much easier. Also, if a drink a caffeinated product (coffee, pepsi, dew,) I am up for days. Might be something to look at.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />John

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

You might have a point there yingling, thanks. I just realised that most times it's happened I've been eating fish and chips that night. :)

ZmOz

Captain

Lay on your back with your hands interlaced over your chest. Concentrate on your breathing. Try to think about nothing but your breathing.<br /><br />I usually just take a handfull of pills and a swig of vodka when I can't sleep. :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

A benadryl a 2 beers does it for me.

KaGee

Admiral

Try tuning in to the PBS network.

Trent

Captain

And now the big boys in Washington want to change daylight savings time... Lets mess with your sleep alittle more.. Them big boys need a real job...!! They aint got a clue.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Nos - I've got Sunday night insomnia ... I'm a great sleeper any other night of the week but for some reason, I just can't get to sleep on Sunday nights (I guess I'm not looking forward to getting back to work). <br /><br />A nurse once told me that benadryl is a VERY safe drug and it'll make you tired. I've never tried but may be worth a shot. I'm not telling you to take drugs you don't need .. just throwing it out there.. <br /><br />Talk to a doctor. They will get ya fixed up.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Get a bunch of good novels or whatever else keeps your attention. Go to bed at your normal time and quietly read. Guaranteed to wind you down naturally and make you nod. Even it it takes a couple of hours of reading, you'll end up more erudite, fall sound asleep and wake up without any chemical hangover.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jsfinn:<br />__________________________________________________<br />A nurse once told me that benadryl is a VERY safe drug and it'll make you tired. I've never tried but may be worth a shot. I'm not telling you to take drugs you don't need .. just throwing it out there.. <br />__________________________________________________<br />Nos, Benadryl is the very same formula as most of the over the counter sleeping pills such as Sominex, Nytol, etc.. (25mg Diphenhydramine) Very safe and about half the price. Just dont take it with alcohol or tranquilizers.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Also try Melatonin. www.melatonin.com<br /><br />I usually have no problem geting to sleep, its waking up at 5 am, and not getting back to sleep.<br /><br />Ken

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Nos<br /><br />I've always found that a good nights sleep doe's the trick :D :D :D :D :D

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys! Gonna try benadryl and the others- reading's outa the question as the g/f can't sleep with the light on (not surprised-I must scare her half to death!).<br /><br />I think I may have found a good solution actually-but don't tell the ladies or they'll all want some...Massaging my girlfriend's back seems to make me drop off within half hour. :cool: :cool:

gonfishn

Commander

I was always told if ya go to bed with a clear conscience you will have no problems.... Maybe thats why i only get a couple hours... :)