Anyone here interested in Japanese kitchen knives?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I love to cook, and I cook a great deal, and lately I've been very much into nice kitchen knives. For years, I've used decent stainless steel knives, like Henckels and Wustofs (and earlier, even some Chicago Cutlery), but in the last several years, I've discovered hand made Japanese knives. In particular, carbon steel knives and carbon-cored Damascus knives are what I've been using lately. They get wicked sharp and hold an edge forever.

Anyone else have nice J-knives in their collection?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My favorite knife, besides my finnish filet knife from my grandfather, is a $10 santuki chefs knife from walmart i got about 15 years ago when the last ex kicked my out. Then some cutco my boy was selling.

My least favorite is my chicago cutlery - i cant get nor keep an edge on it and it is wicked thick. I prefer thin blade. My dad has a few but his are about 50 years old versus my 30 years so are different, and his are thinner.

I won't do carbon because with a small few exceptions nothing is allowed in my kitchen that cannot be placed in a dishwasher.

As for keeping an edge all save the Chicago do well and i've got a 30+ year old magic chef electric that dad bought me when married to the first wife. It is about done, but is getting my by. Doesn't help that our friends bring their knives over when visiting so I will sharpen them.

The best knife, like a fishing pole is one that is well tuned (sharp), you have confidence in and feels comfortable in your hand.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Bought a set of Henckels back in the 80's. Used them as our primary set until a couple of months ago when my wife came home with a set of "new" Henckels she got at the thrift store. The steel is nowhere close to the weight or quality of the originals.

Have a ton of "antique" carbon steel, wood handled blades we've picked up at flea markets over the years. They hold an edge like no other, but start to rust if you leave them out on the counter too long.

Swore by Kershaw filet knifes until a friend loaned me his Dexter to clean a couple of fish. I know own two Dexters

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
We had some Chicago Cutlery knives we got when we were married, and we couldn’t keep an edge on them either. We gave those away to our kids when they left for college.

My stainless knives (e.g., a Henckels chef knife and a Wusthof santoku) are our everyday beater knives; as with most stainless, they are a little softer and don’t hold an edge quite as well as carbon steel, but they are a lot more forgiving of mistreatment. They never see the inside of a dishwasher, though.

I’ve been torn as to whether or not I want to learn sharpening. I don’t think sharpening my less expensive knives is that challenging, but I really don’t wanna mess up a really good knife with my nervous attempts. For now, I just send them out every few months for a professional sharpening.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
If this pandemic has not made a HUGE impact on you to start producing here in the USA....well nothing will

harringtondav

Commander
We have a full set of Henkels Four Star ss, plus spares that we use at our river house. My pop told me, and I basically agree that high carbon takes an edge better than ss. I think Henkles are high carbon ss. Years I bought a pair of two-sided Norton "Japanese" water stones. 1000, 3000, 4000 grit. I made a wood fixture to hold the stones at rough and finish edge angles. I love these stones. The 1000 will remove the nicks, 3000 will shave paper, 4000 will shave me. I've relieved the bolster on most of my Henkles to mimic the high end Wustoff so I can sharpen closer to the bolster. We have one Wustoff utility from my MIL's house. ....I think the Henkles sharpen better.

Once I dropped a Henkles 6" utility on our tile floor and it broke. It took a while but Henkles lived up to their lifetime warranty and replaced it after 20 yrs. Apparently it had an carbon inclusion defect

I've always been intrigued by Japanese folded or laminated steel blades. ...but no way could I justify more knives to the admiral.
IMG_20210108_164935505.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We had some Chicago Cutlery knives we got when we were married, and we couldn’t keep an edge on them either. We gave those away to our kids when they left for college.

My stainless knives (e.g., a Henckels chef knife and a Wusthof santoku) are our everyday beater knives; as with most stainless, they are a little softer and don’t hold an edge quite as well as carbon steel, but they are a lot more forgiving of mistreatment. They never see the inside of a dishwasher, though.

I’ve been torn as to whether or not I want to learn sharpening. I don’t think sharpening my less expensive knives is that challenging, but I really don’t wanna mess up a really good knife with my nervous attempts. For now, I just send them out every few months for a professional sharpening.
look up magic chef electric sharpener. As I said I've been using it 30+ years and dad a bit longer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hold yalls knife up to a window, but on your glasses, and look at the edge. Most likely looks a bit like a micro serrated one.

again, every month or two i use this on all of them:

a sharp knife is way safer than a dull knife.

harringtondav

Commander
Below is my sharpening fixture for my Norton water stones. Surprisingly the keener angle is for roughing, the wider angle for finishing. The theory is the more acute rough angle will result in a very sharp, but also very fragile edge. So the finish side puts a slightly wider included angle on the finished edge for strength. The little loose block on top of the right stone helps me orient the knife vertically before stroking the stones.
...wasn't planning it, but since it's a gloomy boring day, and the stuff is out I'll go ahead and tune up a few edges.
IMG_20210109_133218750.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We started out using Chicago Cutlery. At the time it was the set to have, now they're low end of the totem pole for a decent knive. Just bought a set of Henkels for the wife. She seems to really like them, sooooooo....... The Chicago set was demoted to the motorhome....

We use Chefs Choice for sharpening. One thing not to do is put them in the dishwasher. It will destroy the edge in a hurry. Handwash only....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Below is my sharpening fixture for my Norton water stones. Surprisingly the keener angle is for roughing, the wider angle for finishing. The theory is the more acute rough angle will result in a very sharp, but also very fragile edge. So the finish side puts a slightly wider included angle on the finished edge for strength. The little loose block on top of the right stone helps me orient the knife vertically before stroking the stones.
...wasn't planning it, but since it's a gloomy boring day, and the stuff is out I'll go ahead and tune up a few edges.
View attachment 331575
So you sharpen on the stones sort of using a honing-style setup? How difficult is it to maintain pressure against the stones? Do you store your stones in water or are they splash-and-go?

harringtondav

Commander
So you sharpen on the stones sort of using a honing-style setup? How difficult is it to maintain pressure against the stones? Do you store your stones in water or are they splash-and-go?
You may be sorry you asked. I "slice" stroke the stones from top down, using the little block to get a vertical start and eyeball to the bottom. I slice stroke from bolster to tip in one stroke on shorter blades. 20 strokes per side for each grit. On the longer blades I take two slices, each approx halfway to get the whole edge covered. ....40 strokes per side.

I store the stones dry. Before sharpening them I submerge them in water. They fizz like an Alka Seltzer. Mine are man made vitrified stones-like grinding wheels. So they give off air when doused.

These stones cut very well, so not much pressure is necessary. I focus on keeping the blade parallel to the stone's face so I don't get a corner gouge. This and a reasonable stroke speed cuts well. You can hear it working.

I also use a spray bottle with a dilute soap solution to regularly lube and clean the stones. I also turn the stones bottom up periodically to keep the wear even.

I have a nice set of natural Arkansas stones in three grits/hardness. These worked OK. But the vitrified Norton stones cut much better, with better results.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I was considering getting some Shapton glass stones and a horizontal stone holder. And probably a lapping stone.

ezbtr

Commander
great info, I just posted on decent sharpening equipment/style, my old Kabar is a booger to sharpen, all others fine, with cheap, old carbide/ceramic handheld sharpener

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
look up magic chef electric sharpener. As I said I've been using it 30+ years and dad a bit longer.

I was reading a bit about those. Initially, I thought I'd never use a device like that, but they have pretty decent (but mixed) reviews. It sound like they fine for most consumer grade knives, especially home-cook stainless knives that might otherwise never get sharpened. I didn't find much enthusiasm for Magic Chef (or Chef's Choice) sharpeners among those who make or use higher end knives, especially harder (and more brittle) carbon steel knives. I was surprised how many mainstream cooking outlets recommend them, though.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We only have one, family heirloom, carbon but it is ONLY used for cutting cornbread so I've never used it on it.