anyone have luck with aftermarket v/p fuel pump assy?

2004 searay

Cadet
i need a new pump assembly but the 1500 dollar price tag for a v/p pump is ridiculous. this is the assembly with the high/low pump in the same assembly. the one for the mpi engine an bolts to the front of the engine.
this boat already had 1 aftermarket pump that lasted 3 years.

alldodge

Staff member
The 1500 is a bit much my guess is this is for the entire pump assembly, 2 pumps in one unit. Will have low and high pressure pump

What motor do you have?

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you got one of these babies link

If yes, do you still have the OEM pump assembly? They can be rebuilt. Same for the AM units.

Suggestion is to get another AM pump and send off your OEM (or AM) one to be rebuilt. One source that was doing it a couple of years ago is at this link.

That way you end up spending about 200 for another AM and about 300 – 400 for the rebuilt. Get back the rebuilt and install > should last long time. Keep the ‘newer’ AM one as a spare just in case.

Also, assuming you have the above, also pay attention to the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel rail and remove the screen. I have been running this BOSCH regulator for years, no issue (link). Here is how to remove the screen and replace it with the E Clip (link) per the VP bulletin (link).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Search the forums. The two airtex/Carter part numbers of the pump have been posted multiple times

Thalasso

Commander
Your best bet for your pumps. I have two on my boat

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Second vote for mancavemechanic. I had the dreaded paint chips in my fuel pump and ordered one from mancave. So far it's worked perfect.

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
not hard to just replace the pumps themselves
Any recommendations for a an after market low pressure pump? The carter pump seems to come with different (threaded) fittings. Is it possible to swap over? My LP pump has been whining for two seasons now. Still works, fuel pressure is within spec on both low and high side, raw water flow seems ok. Recently rebuilt fuel cell with new o-rings and removed paint per the instructions of mancavemechanic (highly recommend the guy)

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do. When my HP fuel pump died, I ordered a Carter one using the number on this forum, but the hose fitting was different. So I ordered a chinese Volvo complete assy for like $200 and it is bolt on and has been running fine the whole season.

Thalasso

Commander
Any recommendations for a an after market low pressure pump? The carter pump seems to come with different (threaded) fittings. Is it possible to swap over? My LP pump has been whining for two seasons now. Still works, fuel pressure is within spec on both low and high side, raw water flow seems ok. Recently rebuilt fuel cell with new o-rings and removed paint per the instructions of mancavemechanic (highly recommend the guy)

You don't say what year and what engine. Some years they are replaceable
But the newer ones aren't available. Only the high side is available