Anyone feel odd after a day on salt water?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
For some reason I feel like cr@p the day after being out on salt water.Joints ache, head feels 'spaced'-and the g/f gets it too. Anyone got any idea why?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone feel odd after a day on salt water?

I wish-I don't drink alcohol when out-the rib takes a lot of punishment and I doubt I'd stay aboard if I drank.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) One of the reasons is that being on the water regardless of calm or choppy seas, the boat is always doing some type of movement, side to side, or up & down!!!! You are using differant muscles of the body to stabilze one self, that you normally do not use on land, so therefore you ache!!!!<br /><br />And as far as the head, I agree with K5WAS!!! ;) :cool:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It's salt water, that's why. Water evaporates, leaving salt behind. It's like what happens to a slug when you pour salt on it...Ya shrivvel-up and die.<br />The salt get's into your pours, and, just like your outboard, corrodes yer giblets ---thus, ya feel like crap, only sore. :D <br /><br />Ah hates salt water!! But i likes to fish, and the vistas from a mile offshore are not to be found any closer than Lake Trafford or Lake Ockeechobee. And even then , it isn't the same.<br />I mean, i hit a rock 2 miles out in the "big-O".....A ROCK! Wiped-out me prop, it did! You don't have suprises like that 2 miles out in the Gulp of pepsico.

K5WAS

Seaman

I have never had any ill effects from being out in the gulf. 99% (a guess) of the people that go on cruises never have any problems either. I have been on a cruise ship and never felt better. By the way, I was only jokeing about the beer, I never drink any alcohal when I go out in the boat either.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Gotta agree with the answer Nos that its partly to do with the movement of a small boat and the amount of muscle tension that you produce, sometimes unknowingly, to maintain balance etc.<br /><br />Balance as you know is co-ordinated through various sensors in the body, especially in the ears. Imagine a bath of water and imagine setting a wave motion running through it. When you stop the wave action the water keeps moving for a while. Same in the human body only different :D <br /><br />Have a look at professional seaman when they come ashore after a long voyage and you'll see quite a swagger or "seaman's roll" as they walk. Commonly know as sea legs.<br /><br />The headache is probably from muscular tension in the neck. Or dehydration: not alcohol: alcohol consumption does NOT cause dehydration: common myth!<br /><br /><br />Ps: be very careful where you go and watch those seamen I talked about or you might end up with a few more aches and pains :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Large doses of sunshine, whether on a boat or in the back yard, sometimes gives me a slight headache.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Nos, meant to say there are two possible cures for this:<br /><br />1. Ibuprofen taken after the trip (observe the safety warnings on the label!)<br /><br /><br />2. Give me your Searider :D

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

hehehehe....<br /><br />So I guess the answer is to go out more often and drink more fluids then...?

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, you'll soon get used to the Searider Roll ;)