Anyone ever shipped an outboard

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a good outboard, but it is way too far for me to drive down and get it. Anyone have a good way of transporting them? I get it if it was a 30k verado I would have ordered freight, but any other way except for paying 1k for ups or 3k for freight?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if I would send coins away and hope that a motor shows up.-----Hands on before spending the pesos so to speak.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry forgot to mention it is a parts motor. Racerone that is the art of finding a good deal, getting it cheap and having it show up. I would have went myself but the us canada border is CLOSED.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is a deal.----Strap to a pallet and wait for the parts to arrive.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have never shipped a motor to someone else, but I have bought many motors and had them shipped to me.

Its all about the guy selling the motor. If he values his customer he will go to lengths to secure it. If not, you're at his mercy. I have had some come packed in a crate and arrived perfect, and others were shrink wrapped (you must be kidding) and it arrived in pieces. However, in that case I complained so loud that he gave me a refund, so in effect it was a free motor.

Small outboards.com probably would be of no value. They sell new motors in factory packaging and they ship FEDEX.

The choice of shipper is up to the seller, not the buyer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
fastenal only accepts pallets that are 48 x 48 x 48 total in size

if your work shipping departments does a lot of logistics, start with them and go thru your companies shipping broker. about 1/6th the cost of shipping UPS freight or FedEx freight.

matt167

Captain
I've never done it, but people have shipped whole garden tractors with Fastenal.. My girlfriends sister used to work for them. Their lenient rule is basically if you can strap it to a 4' pallet, to the point it can be fork lifted.

RL Carriers are often used professionally for car engine shipment. You might be able to have it shipped that way. I've ordered several JDM import car engines and they have all come RL Carriers

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, just for anyone's reference, I did some research. Seems like LTL (less than truckload) is exactly what I need. People had good results with estes shipping outboards, only cost them $150 across a few states (from THT). Probably will go this route. Fastenal will not ship over the border. Not a lot of companies will. As soon as they hear the word border, they loose all interest.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get with your shipping broker.

I just shipped a bunch of car parts from Haggerstown MD to Sarasota FL for $300 with yellow and the crate will be here Friday. if I went estes it would have been $450 or if I went fed-ex it would have been $625 and taken 4 days

it would have been less, however the crate was 8' long, 4' wide and 3' tall.