Anyone else having trouble uploading videos to Photobucket?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I've been searching around the web trying to solve this problem. I made some videos over xmas and am trying to upload them to my Photobucket account. Yesterday, I uploaded a 17 sec. mp4 (108mb) video with no trouble. Then I tried to upload a 1:08 mp4 (268mb) four times and each time it uploaded to 90%, then would not complete. Three times I got error messages, and once no message, it just stayed at 90% for hours. The files are well within PB size limits and are acceptable file types.

I've turned off my Windows firewall and disabled Adblock on PB, and tried using Pale Moon, Firefox and IE11. IE11 shut itself down and said it had detected an "dangerous" add-on or something like that. I've uploaded videos there in the past with no problems. Very frustrating, about ready to give up on sharing the xmas videos. :blue:

I contacted PB support, but no reply. I have the free account, so I guess I can't complain.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I don't do much video ... Are you getting time out errors?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
No messages at all...until it fails after hours at 90% complete, or just freezes & sits. 3 out of 4 attempts gave error messages. Not very specific, something like "HTTP Error". I had no trouble with the short vid file. I'm on Verizon DSL. Perplexing.

I don't do much video either, but got a free HD Canon camcorder with credit card rewards this fall, so I use it once in a while.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wonder if its not your DSL timing out.

Is the video still on a card or in the camcorder, rather then copied to your computer's drive?

Is the upload computer wireless or hard wired to the DSL modem?

I'd try uploading from the computers drive 1st if you havent yet. A hard line connection to the modem 2nd.

If you are still having trouble, I'd ping your ISP:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Depending on that report, might see if you can edit out @ 50MB and try to upload a just under 200MB video. Then a 225MB video. Those are both below the 90% 'cap' you're hitting.

My ISP is fairly quick downloads, but is throttled way back for uploads. If a file is big enough, I have no problem believing that any one of the devices involved would time out or pause long enough to cause a different device to time out.

Do you have a power down, power saving, sleep mode, screen saver or etc setup on your upload device? Might check that too

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I wonder if its not your DSL timing out.

Is the video still on a card or in the camcorder, rather then copied to your computer's drive? Files are on the hard drive.

Is the upload computer wireless or hard wired to the DSL modem? Wireless, about 8' from the modem.

I'd try uploading from the computers drive 1st if you havent yet. A hard line connection to the modem 2nd. I'll try the hard wire next.

If you are still having trouble, I'd ping your ISP:

http://www.speedtest.net/ Our service has always been slow as death. It's a lot slower now than when we first got it years ago.

Ping results: wireless - ping = 376ms, download .85, upload .10.

wired: - ping = 25ms, download .93, upload .38.

Depending on that report, might see if you can edit out @ 50MB and try to upload a just under 200MB video. Then a 225MB video. Those are both below the 90% 'cap' you're hitting. PB limit per video is 500mb.

My ISP is fairly quick downloads, but is throttled way back for uploads. If a file is big enough, I have no problem believing that any one of the devices involved would time out or pause long enough to cause a different device to time out.

Do you have a power down, power saving, sleep mode, screen saver or etc setup on your upload device? Might check that too I have all that turned off.

I'm making another attempt wired right now.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I was only using the lower MB test video to see if a nearly as big video would load, since for whatever reason, it stalls at 90% uploaded

I'd bet hardwired it'll load at 4X upload speed

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Yesterday morning, I successfully uploaded a 108mb with no trouble, although it was slow. The bigger one is still uploading, I'll let you know if it works.

I don't have trouble uploading to youtube, although for some reason, the quality there is always compromised. PB seems to have more hi-res results when viewing.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bummer. I've got nothing left to suggest.... other then try to reach PB tech help